Decade Away

Welcome back! Thrilled you are back at it and in one piece.

That is a long road to recovery , and two wheels does much for the recovery . Your wife is a special lady to accept you two wheel love . As Gamedic said thank you for your service .
External fixators are a pain in the butt aren't they ;)
The Versays is one of the best bikes Kaw made in my opinion . My close friend had a black one like yours , and regrets selling it .
Even though you moved on from Suzuki you should visit here often . Its a great place to call forum home ;)

Thank you all for your kind words. I can tell you that renewing my account here has had a direct effect on my Craigslist searches for a new 'Busa

The Versys is a great bike, mostly based on the return on investment. 100,000 miles on a $5,000 bike. But it also FEELS like a bargain basement bike.

I am a Solo rider, and I love doing Long Distance rides. 1000 miles in a day? Got it! If you meet a guy on a Goldwing, or even a big BMW, and he says something like "Oh, I just rode in from the coast" it certainly isn't difficult to understand.
FB_IMG_1569212413877.jpg

FB_IMG_1569212222820.jpg

But see a guy on a 'Busa, or a Versys, and you see the license plate from seven states away and you say "You rode THAT? From WHERE?"
And I always giggled seeing my bike loaded down with bags! Being in the Army I was always heading off to one school or another. I had to leave Idaho for a three week school in Sacramento. Packed it all on the Red Bus and hit the road. At Ft Polk, LA back in '06 I had to head to Pensacola for a school. Yep, same thing.
FB_IMG_1569212471295.jpg

Once I retired, and my Versys was, um...Transformed ... I would ride it all year long.
FB_IMG_1569212379203.jpg

FB_IMG_1569212254620.jpg

As long as the roads were plowed enough to get out of the subdivision I would ride.

So, the accident was bad. I already posted a few pics. I even did a news interview from my hospital bed a week after.
YIKES!!!!!!!!

That is really something to read and watch and for you to be still riding and wanting to search for another Busa is a testament to how tough a person you really are.

You, Sir are harder than Christmas candy.

Yes, the crash was difficult. But what's REALLY hard?
How about 7 kids? Yup! My wife and I have raised seven children. Here they are at my eldest sons wedding three years ago

My eldest daughter there was due with our first granddaughter. Second granddaughter was just born last Friday.

So, 1-7 is married, newborn baby, in the Army at Ft Bragg.
2-7 is getting married this coming Saturday.
3-7 is married and has a 3yr old daughter, is currently in Army ROTC.
4-7 just returned from serving a church mission in AZ.
5-7 is getting married next month.
And 6-7, 7-7 (twins) are Seniors in highschool.

When I deployed the first time, back in 2004, I left my wife at home with all these monsters, there is only a ten year spread between the youngest and the oldest. That deployment was from June 04 to Dec 05, almost 20 months.
FB_IMG_1544678314730.jpg

FB_IMG_1569302710853.jpg

My wife handled it like a champ! As soon as I returned we packed up and moved to Louisiana. Less than two years later we moved to Kansas and I went back to Iraq.

FB_IMG_1485803020702.jpg

FB_IMG_1569301980811.jpg

FB_IMG_1463283347002.jpg

But all good things must come to an end. My official retirement date is Jan 2010

FB_IMG_1544681588569.jpg

From May 1984 to Jan 2010.
My father at my Basic Training graduation to my son at his Basic Training graduation.

Yes, the crash was difficult. But what's REALLY hard?
How about 7 kids? Yup! My wife and I have raised seven children. Here they are at my eldest sons wedding three years agoView attachment 1605404

My eldest daughter there was due with our first granddaughter. Second granddaughter was just born last Friday.

So, 1-7 is married, newborn baby, in the Army at Ft Bragg.
2-7 is getting married this coming Saturday.
3-7 is married and has a 3yr old daughter, is currently in Army ROTC.
4-7 just returned from serving a church mission in AZ.
5-7 is getting married next month.
And 6-7, 7-7 (twins) are Seniors in highschool.
Holy crap! that's busy....

When I deployed the first time, back in 2004, I left my wife at home with all these monsters, there is only a ten year spread between the youngest and the oldest. That deployment was from June 04 to Dec 05, almost 20 months.
View attachment 1605406

View attachment 1605405

My wife handled it like a champ! As soon as I returned we packed up and moved to Louisiana. Less than two years later we moved to Kansas and I went back to Iraq.

View attachment 1605407

View attachment 1605408
View attachment 1605409

But all good things must come to an end. My official retirement date is Jan 2010

View attachment 1605410

From May 1984 to Jan 2010.
My father at my Basic Training graduation to my son at his Basic Training graduation.
Awesome and what great pictures of a good looking family...

Well done you and here's to a speedy and healthy recovery.

Good to see you back, with 111,000 miles you surely have some good stories to tell.

Back