Seattle's got some good news...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
(AP) - Must be something in the coffee.

Seattle has been named the fittest city in the United States in the February issue of Men's Fitness magazine, leaping past the buff competition from Honolulu, Colorado Springs, San Francisco and Denver.

Virginia Beach was ranked the 12th fittest city. Last year, the resort town ranked third. Virginia Beach was ranked the eighth fittest in 2003.

Exercising faithfully and shunning fast food boosted Seattle to the top from No. 6 last year, Men's Fitness Editor in Chief Neal Boulton said.

"Eighty-five percent of Seattle residents get some exercise every month, and that's a really significant thing," Boulton said. The city's jittery love affair with espresso might fuel some of that activity, he noted: "There's not only a lot of it, it's pretty darn strong."

In its nonscientific Seventh Annual Fattest and Fittest Cities Report, the magazine compares 50 cities by weighing 14 factors, including fast food restaurants per capita, TV watching, air quality, and parks. In Seattle, for example, sporting goods stores and gyms outnumber fast food joints -- a key statistic.

Houston was named the fattest city for the fourth time in five years, followed by Philadelphia, Detroit, Memphis and Chicago.

Seattle's claim to the fitness crown makes sense to Doug Sherry and his Wheaten Terrier, Bing, who walk the three-mile path around Seattle's Green Lake every day, rain or shine.

"Everyone I know does something," explained Sherry, 35, who also hits the gym several times a week. "There's lots of good terrain to walk and bike and hike. You're close to the water, you're close to the mountains."

His advice for those seeking to emulate Seattle's healthy ways?

"Enjoy the outdoors," Sherry said. "And get a dog."

---------------------------------

Below are thehe fittest and fattest cities in the United States, according to a survey in the February issue of Men's Fitness magazine:

FITTEST CITIES

1. Seattle

2. Honolulu

3. Colorado Springs, Colo.

4. San Francisco

5. Denver

6. Portland, Ore.

7. Sacramento, Calif.

8. Tucson, Ariz.

9. San Diego

10. Albuquerque, N.M.

11. Boston

12. Virginia Beach, Va.

13. Minneapolis

14. Fresno, Calif.

15. Milwaukee

16. Omaha, Neb.

17. San Jose, Calif.

18. Jacksonville, Fla.

19. Austin, Texas

20. Oakland, Calif.

21. Los Angeles

22. Arlington, Texas

23. Washington, D.C.

24. Cleveland, Ohio

25. Nashville-Davidson, Tenn.

FATTEST CITIES

1. Houston

2. Philadelphia

3. Detroit

4. Memphis, Tenn.

5. Chicago

6. Dallas

7. New Orleans

8. New York

9. Las Vegas

10. San Antonio

11. El Paso, Texas

12. Phoenix

13. Indianapolis

14. Fort Worth, Texas

15. Mesa, Ariz.

16. Columbus, Ohio

17. Wichita, Kan.

18. Kansas City, Mo.

19. Miami

20. Long Beach, Calif.

21. Oklahoma City, Okla.

22. Tulsa, Okla.

23. Atlanta

24. Charlotte, N.C.

25. Baltimore

Looks like I need to move to Houston! They must have some good grub down there!
biggrin.gif

If I lived a little closer to D.C., I'm sure my girth would have caused it to plummet a spot in the "fittest" rankings. Why do you think I ride a Busa?
tounge.gif

I was hoping it would be a bit of good news for Rev...
smile.gif

He can always snub the rest of us, saying "hey, I live in the fittest state you bunch of beer swilling, chip eating losers"...
tounge.gif

Smile, Rev...come on...
blush.gif

Well Hell, now I am really going to be outta place...
smile.gif

Back