Dec 12th = 2k \'busa

OB_insinu8

Registered
I've been told by my dealer that Dec 12th is the magic day. It is also the last day of the cycle show in San Mateo. Should be a blue 'busa there to sit on and drool over so I can get my fix. I'd like to get some input for break-in usage/treatment. I know what the manufacturer says, but I'm more interested in some real world comments.

First 500 miles keep it under 70mph.You can blip it up to a 100mph for a short run but I wouldn't do that until I had 300 miles on the speedo.Change the oil at 500 miles and up your speed with quick runs in the 110-120 range no more than 1/4mile run.Change oil again at recommended next change.Keep your bike under 140mph until 1500miles,change oil.My first two oil change was with standard oil and the third oil change was done at 1900 miles and I used synthetic blend,golden spec 10/40. Did my dyno at 1900 miles and had 159rwhp.Hopes this helps you out.This worked for me and I'm sure going by the Suzuki manuel would be a wiser choice.Good Luck

Ditto the up to 500 mile part, then beat the sh-t out of it!! Cars and bikes are the same, teach them when they are young and they will reward you in the end.

I can't imagine why anyone would follow a different break-in than Suzuki recommends. Would you trust a stranger on the web to know a better way to do it than the the Suzuki engineers that designed the Hayabusa?

I would agree with Sherm on that, except I like to load the engine up more with acceleration than recommended because I think doing it that way seats rings and valves better and loosens up the wrist pins and mains.

Gives you some more zoom...a freer-revving and higher compression motor without a noticeable sacrifice in longevity.

That's my break-in mantra, and I'm stickin' to it.

Sherm, I'm not suggesting to question or deviate from the all knowing all seeing lords of Suzuki. But, many of the people here have extensive experience with these sort of things and I tend to trust that in people. There isn't a manual in the world that covers every little detail. That is what the general public does for you. They try things as written and make assessments on the validity of the provided info. Then they try to improve upon it, many times successfully. So, you might just say I'm being EXTRA paranoid about my 'busa and looking at every scrap of info I can get.

I also heard that the new Suzi's will be in a NJ warehouse by Dec 12. The ship is expected in about that time. Then a week or two to truck them from the port of entry to my dealer.

But a Baltimore dealer, just tonight, told me that they are in now. He expects his next week.

As for breakin I am going to do both. 1st follow the Suzi shop manual instructions til 1500 miles. Then fill it up with Mobil 1 for Bikes and ride the sh!t out of it. Weather permitting. At the 3000 mile oil change I'll assume it's broken in and do my dyno base line.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 03 December 1999).]

Stay away from 99 Busa owners like the plague, they will suck you into blasting away when you shouldn't. GO find a little 600 to ride with for 600 miles or so(maybe thats why they make 600's)and break your bike in on regular dead dynosoar oil before you go synthetic.

Stay away from copper and black Busa's they ARE broken in and dont know how to go slow.

Stay away from Copper Busa's especially, as Copper is faster than Black.

Take your bike to a dyno and avoid any guy you meet called "Dirty ----". Till after you break her in!

Careful of the smile you get when you start the bike, as it will not go away for a while.

Having several bikes, cars and other toys that have had no break-in related problems, for the first 500 keep it under 5500 RPMs and vary your speed. After that you can let it rip. Most motorheads will tell you to run a bike the way you intend to ride it after break-in. Make sure that the Suzuki folks do your first service on time. Enjoy!!

My personal break-in is easy for 200 miles...change oil..500miles and change oil and check valves and hold on here we go. Drag engines have no break-in even close to a street bike and very seldom do they ever give trouble..if its not right with one mile it won`t be right at 1000 miles. I talked with Byron Hines at a race once about break-in on engines and his comment was that the first 15 minutes is the most important....of course he was referring to a drag engine. I think top end runs to early are whats bad on a fresh engine. Just my 2-cents which at times aren`t worth much! By the way may sell my black bus and get a 2000 blue one anyone interested in it...345 miles,micron,PC2,bra...looks and is new.

Back