DEALER READJUSTING HEADLIGHT

Boy Howdy, a few of you guys are a little sensitive about harley's! Does the problem arise from the fact they cost twice as much as their Japanese brothern and only go half as fast
wow.gif
Or could it be that harley has more than half the motorcycle market world wide in $? Yep, it's true! More than half the $ spent on motorcycles go to Harley. If you would have invested $25,000 dollars into harley in the seventies, you would be a wealthy man today!

All BS aside, harley has it's place just like sport bikes! Yes, I have been riding harleys longer than most of you have been alive but my choice of bike to ride today is not a harley. I will probably always have a harley in the garage even if I do only ride it four or five times a year. If I go on a week long trip, I'll definately take my glamorously chromed harley. I am going out today and I'll take my gixxer so I can practice a few stand up wheelies. I dearly love that scooter.

One thing I can point out, I've been riding harleys for over 40 years and I have never been broken down on the side of the road. But then neither have I been broken down on a Suzuki either. For those of you who seem to look at harleys as oil driping machines that slobber oil everywhere they go? Well, that was true of harleys for years until they changed from chain to belt drive. The harleys had a self chain oiler, which oiled the chain with engine oil. This is what you were seeing when you witnessed the oil drip. It was messy and always a pain in the arse. However, I have not seen any oil under harleys since the late 80's. Just a little information for those of you who may not know the REAL story
tounge.gif

I had no intentions of offending anyone with my comment about adjusting the headlight. It's such a simple task that is explained in detail with pictures in your owners manual and just seems silly to go back to the dealer to adjust. But then I can take a can of gas and a screwdriver and crank up a stump and I'm sure some who ride may find it challenging to perform such a task. For those of you who are challenged, you have my most humble apologies!

Headlight would be better aimed low.... specially when riding on one wheel
cool.gif

either way, whenever you accelerate, the rear sinks and the front rises a little....

Maybe it is the passion of getting to know your own bike but I feel everyone should learn and be their own wrench. I guess I have a problem with someone else messing with my bike.....just my .02 cents

Umm, OK...  But what your calling a defect I'd call a safe bet.  I mean if Suzuki aimed them higher, then you'd have folks crying that they are always blinding folks and bring them in to have them lowered.  

What I am getting at is too low of Headlight is hardley a dealer service issue and is something you could take care of yourself without worrying about some 18 year old taking a screwdriver to your ride, then the inevitable "Raod Test"...  Pop off some plastics and have at it, this way at least you'll be able to Aim them exactly where YOU want them aimed and there won't be any further return trips...  

Maybe ya'll missed the Memo but Bikers are supposed to be a pretty self reliant, tech Savvy bunch...  

Bah, I'm just busting balls...  No worries...
Unfortunately Rev its kinda a diff breed of biker nowadays I think....the days of most guys doing there own work is kinda going away. Partly, I suspect, cause the bikes are getting more complicated, and partly cause they don't break down as much anymore. No one touches my bike but me tho...cause when I do the work I know EXACTLY whats going on...no worries of getting down the road and all hell breaking loose. Or the inevitable scratch/dent/test rides
wow.gif
I love peace of mind.........ALOT!!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey, I really don't bag on anyone for not working on their own modern sportbike... It is a pain in the ass, and hell... I don't even mow my own lawn OR fix the Car... Hell I open the hood and I am already out of my comfort zone... Lot's of plastic in there nowadays...

But, when it comes to the bike I do feel it is important to understand the basics and get your hand dirty once in awhile. I think it's part of being a good rider you know, having that understanding of how things work and what they are.... Yeah, and for the piece of mind...

Hey, I really don't bag on anyone for not working on their own modern sportbike...  It is a pain in the ass, and hell... I don't even mow my own lawn OR fix the Car...  Hell I open the hood and I am already out of my comfort zone...  Lot's of plastic in there nowadays...

But, when it comes to the bike I do feel it is important to understand the basics and get your hand dirty once in awhile.  I think it's part of being a good rider you know, having that understanding of how things work and what they are.... Yeah, and for the piece of mind...
I agree completely!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Boy Howdy, a few of you guys are a little sensitive about harley's! Does the problem arise from the fact they cost twice as much  as their Japanese brothern and only go half as fast
wow.gif
 Or could it be that harley has more than half the motorcycle market world wide in $? Yep, it's true! More than half the $ spent on motorcycles go to Harley. If you would have invested $25,000 dollars into harley in the seventies, you would be a wealthy man today!
I was right, you're one of those that's hung up on the fact that they are expensive, You are exactly the type of Harley rider that gives harley riders a bad name. You are hung up on the name and and the fact that they cost too much.

And about the "If you would have invested $25,000 dollars into harley in the seventies, you would be a wealthy man today!" comment. I'm sure some of the people in this group ARE wealthy men today, and they didn't have to waste their money on a name to get that way. Also, if you had put $25.000 in the stock market in the seventies, you would probably have increased your principle much more than buying a harley and maintaining it for 25 years.

So, do you consider yourself a wealthy man?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098751300 -->

yup, you are right. I just adjusted the headlight on da busa in 5 mins. no dealer. no hassle. one phillips head screwdriver, back out the screw 3 or so turns and viola, we can see.
As for the HD, they are a totally different way of riding. Elitist to those unwilling or unable to pay, but a hell of group of people. FWIW.

Back