Daytona Demo rides and reviews

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I had planned to hit Daytona speedway for some demo rides later on in the week but couldn't wait and hit a bunch on Saturday. Normally I sign up for a few on the metric side (timed rides with assigned slots) then hit the "American" side in between. The metric side worked out so well, never got over to the other side.

An interesting note, used to be only Kawi brought the big boys out to play but Yami and Suzi are starting to get into it as they brought R-1s and R-6s and the big S bought a (read single as in 1) B-king (but it's better than nothing).

Understand that all these reviews are heavily tainted as in we ride Busas (I ride mine daily) and we are soooo freakin' spoiled it ain't funny.

Started the day riding a Beemer twin R1200RT. Always wanted to ride one and I find the look interesting. I hated it (well hated is a little strong), lack of power everywhere (read the above busa disclaimer). It a very well made machine but no umph and the motor had an annoying torque pull to the right when you reved it. So much so that if you shifted into neutral while rolling to a light and blipped the throttle, it will force you and the bike to warble a little to compensate. It had an adjustable windshield that worked fairly well, when fully up it shut out all wind and heated seats blah blah blah, etc. but honestly...I don't know how BMW sells anything. It's well made but expensive and whatever niche the bike fills, someone does it a whole lot better for a lot less money.

IMG_2962.jpg

Speaking of whole lot better for less money...my next ride...

IMG_2967.jpg

Very nice bike, very smooth with great power. Not quite up to a 14 but way more than the boxer twin. Good tranny as expected. It was the best "sport tourer" I rode and if that is your thing, buy it and don't look back. It too had an adjustable windshield however, that thing is WORTHLESS. Leave it down. The windshield went from down (similar wind as riding a Busa) to full up (where it cut the wind from my torso and directed the full blast at my head only) which gave me new insight to the word "buffeting". Side not on the adjustable windshields, I think they are mostly a "ooh ahh" marketing tool and the look goofy as hell when they are up anyway.

Another thing on the "Sport touring" catagory. I guess there is a genuine niche for it but as nice as the Concours was, I kept thinking if you really want to tour, get a touring bike. And all the concours did for me was make me want to get off and get on my next bike. (see below)

IMG_2968.jpg

Now then, the '08 ZX-14. Improved bottom torque for the '08 is a reality according to my seat o' the pants dynometer (rode an '07 in Octoberfest). What can I say, bike is amazing smooth and powerfull with the best brakes of the day as well. Incredible machine, no two ways about it.

Then I had a real treat...
IMG_2992.jpg

I looked at this as riding an "almost Busa". I am the biggest proponet of Suzuki selling us short with the '08 busa upgrades. That aside and reviewing the bike/new motor on it's own i have to say...that motor is hella strong. Much more bottom end then then new '08 zx-14. Not quite as smooth but STRONG thruout. Very familar torque curve, like my '06 with about 20-25 horses added. I was impressed and delighted. And the brakes on the B-king were close enough to the 14s brakes to notice. Nice Job Zuk. The tank is still not my style but the B-king is one hellova bike.

I got off the king and got to ride an '08 R1

IMG_2998.jpg

Remeber I wrote about bieng spoiled. As we know the busa is very forgiving with low end torque second to none, I enjoy upshifting and cranking the throttle just to feel the low end stump pulling power. I forgot I wasn't riding a busa and tried it with the R-1...after it coughed and gave birth (it didn't like that) I learned my lesson. You have to keep the rpms up to keep it happy. Once you adjust your riding style a little, thing is crazy fast. What was really impressive was, the thing is on rails. No wonder you guys like em for track bikes. The handleing inspires a lot of confidence going into turns and had me wanted another turn. Fairly aggresive seating ergonomics and wouldn't want one to ride 500 miles in a day but for another toy in the garage to take out a flog for a couple of hours...OH HECK YES.

Back to the overpriced Beemer shop for "the Busa Killer" (I waked into the BMW shop in Daytona one time, guy saw me ride in and I was looking at a K1200S he informed me that is was indeed..a Busa Killer"

IMG_3002.jpg

Suffice it to say it is a well made, very very smooth machine but it is in no way, shape, or form any threat. The propaganda material says it's about 160ish horsepower, I'm positive that is from the crank as it rode like a 140 hosrepower machine (and no bottom end grunt either). Indeed, I looked up akaprovik aftermarket exhaust that had a dyno and it was in the lower 140s. I'm pretty sure it's heavier than the Bus to. Nice bike but again, someone does it way better and way cheaper. As this bike has not been changed in a few years, it is well past an update if it wants to compete.
Busa killer  
rofl.gif

This one surprised me as it was not to far behind the Concours
IMG_3008.jpg

The FJR was almost as smooth and almost as much power and shared the same worthless adjustable windshield as the Concours. If you absolutely hate Kawi and have to have a sport tourer, the FJR is a very close second...but it is second.

As you can see, what an awesome day. Honda was not set up yet, hope to ride a ST1300. What I am really hoping is that Honda follows the other mfgs. and cuts loose the CBR1000. In other news the Spyder 3 wheelers had a crash into each other. Guy said they were kinda squirly to handle and they have no front brake, only a foot brake. He believed guy came into a corner to hot, went for the handbrake...surprise, and slammed into the Spyder ahead of him. There were a couple piled up on the road.

Don't be to quick to judge the power wind screen. A friend of mine had an ST1300. At freeway speeds with the wind screen down you got the normal wind. Put the the screen up and it was dead calm. It was really amazing how much difference there was. I am sure that the other bikes are vrey close to the same, you just need higher speed the feel the effect.

Now that´s a day well past. Thanks sharing with us, nice coments
bowdown.gif

I already tried the GTR 1400 (Councors) and it´s a good bike with a very smooth transmission and a nice engine, more than my old FJR.

But i don´t like touring bikes also
firedevil.gif

Back