Damper oil question...

i changed the oil in the stock dampener with 85W...which is WAY to much!!! it's bordering on dangerous... i was wondering what kind of oil is like 50W or 40W is that still gear lube? any ideas? brands? thanks

Why do you say that?
I used 90w and it seems fine.
I don't drive it unless it is 60 degrees out, and it seems to work well.
What is yours doing?

colder it gets the thicker the oil is. just try and turn it on a 10 or 15 degree day.
trick is when cold heat it up a little with a heat gun before you depart.

Use a lighter weight oil. I've had no problems with the stock weight. Did you increase the weight of the oil because you were getting strong headshake under heavy throttle during bumpy corner exits?

cheers
ken

Use a lighter weight oil. I've had no problems with the stock weight. Did you increase the weight of the oil because you were getting strong headshake under heavy throttle during bumpy corner exits?

cheers
ken

yeah 85w oil for just in case... but i'm going to switch to 40-50w, what kind of oil is that? it's not gear lube is it?

cheers
ken
Steering damper is more for tank slapper than head shake.

IMO you would be wise to use a lighter oil in your damper. I believe the oil in your busa damper is 7w? By replacing the OEM oil with 80/90w you have more than 10 times the resistance. You'll find a number of fellas here that use 80/90w but I'm very suspicious none of them really understand how the damper functions when it's services are truely needed?

There are certain instances where the 80/90w oil is an advantage. One of which is doing nose wheelies. Nose wheelies (Stoppies) you want that damper so stiff you can hardly turn the bars but for most applications the damper needs to work more freely to save your buns if you do get into trouble aka Highside!

IMO a stock damper filled with 80/90w oil is actually less effective and apt to lock up when the bike gets loose than a stock damper. While I'm not recommending any particular oil in your damper, I will say you'd be wise to use a lighter weight oil than 90w.

Here is a recent quote from Mike1180 which I agree with: You know at some point we have to retreat to a point where we give Suzuki some kind of credit for knowing what they are talking about, as they did build this machine.

Here is a recent quote from Mike1180 which I agree with: You know at some point we have to retreat to a point where we give Suzuki some kind of credit for knowing what they are talking about, as they did build this machine.

Wow this is getting scary when we agree with each other on a regular basis. :poke:

All kidding aside, if you believe that why would you go to the Ohlins damper?
Why is it better?

Steering damper is more for tank slapper than head shake.

A steering damper will not dampen strong head shake under throttle, during corner exit?
Is not a tank slapper just really violent head shake?
Please explain the difference to me. Thanks!

cheers
ken

I am no expert, but watching crashes like this:

- [Motorcycle Accident]TT-Tankslapper-19sec[/url]

I can't help but think that a heavier oil in his damper may have helped him out of that in some measure.
The violent back and forth fluctuation would have been slowed somewhat, wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

- [Motorcycle Accident]TT-Tankslapper-19sec[/url]

I can't help but think that a heavier oil in his damper may have helped him out of that in some measure.
The violent back and forth fluctuation would have been slowed somewhat, wouldn't it?

How do you know he didn't have heavy oil in his damper which may have contributed to the crash?

How do you know he didn't have heavy oil in his damper which may have contributed to the crash?

I don't.
That is why I am asking.
I am not an expert, but how could that contribute, instead of helping slow it down?
It seems the lighter the oil, the easier it is to move from side to side (and therefore the quicker side to side when a tank slap).
Does the ohlins damper make the steering heavier or lighter?
I really want to understand this, and not just spar with you (well on this thread at least LOL ) :poke:

Seriously does it not work the way I describe it?

i used penzoil 40w works great. i had 30w but it was just a little too light. 40w seems perfect to me.

[URL="
- [Motorcycle Accident]TT-Tankslapper-19sec[/URL]

i watched this wreck on speed channel and they said what happend was the rear shock broke as he exited the turn, no damper would have saved this guy from this particular wreck...if you rewatch the video you can see the rear end of the bike id bottomed out

Did the damper stop the tank slap on this before the unbelievable save?

Or was it the rider getting bucked off the bike that reduced the weight enough to stop the tank slap? Because the bike seems too auto-correct the initial tank slap

Did the damper stop the tank slap on this before the unbelievable save?

Or was it the rider getting bucked off the bike that reduced the weight enough to stop the tank slap? Because the bike seems too auto-correct the initial tank slap

:rofl:

What was the weight of the ( ? oil ?) that he had to remove from inside his leathers after that?

Last edited:
I don't.
That is why I am asking.
I am not an expert, but how could that contribute, instead of helping slow it down?
It seems the lighter the oil, the easier it is to move from side to side (and therefore the quicker side to side when a tank slap).
Does the ohlins damper make the steering heavier or lighter?
I really want to understand this, and not just spar with you (well on this thread at least LOL ) :poke:

Seriously does it not work the way I describe it?

You are correct Mike. More damping in good in most cases, up to a certain point. The front wheel has to be able to work in order to calm the bike once the wheels loose alignment with each other. The shake begins when the two wheels try to correct the alignment. If the damper is to stiff, the front wheel looses it's ability to auto correct and get the wheels back into alignment. If the shake becomes violent and the front wheel can't center itself due to excessive damping it can compound the problem. Think of it as if you over steer your car during a slide. We have all been guilty of that.

An adjustible steering damper is equally ineffective if it is not set properly. You can crank an Ohlins Adjustible damper down to tight as well as fill your stock damper with oil that is to heavy with the same results.

It's late and I'm beginning to babble! I have to hit the hay! Good Night all!

Back