Damn frankenstein bolt!

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Got the left hand side bolt out but the other one won't come out, i've busted an allen wrench on it and an allen headed socket...... Any ideas?

Impact driver. Not to be confused with an impact gun.

? i'm pretty good with sh*t but i'm havin a brain fart apparently so explain

Buy better quality allen sockets. They are a beoch, but shouldn't break a socket.

An impact driver is a tool that looks like a fat screw driver with interchangeable bits. When you hit the back with a mallot, it twists. So you have the twisting force at the same time that the impact from the mallot has the most force pusing against the fastener. Excellent tool for breaking stuck fasteners loose.

you should spray some WD-40 first around the thread area first...and let em sit, for 10 min...and then the shock treatment...make sure 40 em first...
rock.gif

can't spray WD-40 on the threads when you can't see the threads man, you taken yours off, lol guess not. I apparently mistyped, I meant to say broke two allen wrenches and the allen head socket started to strip the head on the bolt! someone please help before I get the UFO lol

I had to use Vise grips, unless you have an expensive set of allen keys.

if you spray the WD at the edge it will help.

and yes I've had mine out!
tounge.gif

Option #1: Cut a cross in the "head" of bolt (just like it was a philips head bolt instead of an allen head bolt) then use an impact wrench (air or hammer style) with a philips style bit to convince it to loosen up.

Option #2: File down a flat on opposite sides of the circumference of the bolt head. Then use a long handled adjustable wrench (lots of torque available) to twist it off. Make sure to put tape on the plastic areas near the bolt in case you slip while filing or twisting the adjustable wrench. You don't want to scratch your paint. Be very careful and it will be okay. So slow.

I used option #2. Of course, the new bolt was $25.

Good luck.

All of mine came out undamaged using an allen socket and ratchet. I never tried using a plain old allen wrench on them. They are definately tough to break loose.

the left side came off slicker than SH*T. I think i'll try option #2

I F#$ked mine up too. I wd-40'd the threading, drilled and tapped it out. Comes right out. Be sure to drill a pretty deep hole before you hammer in the tap (basically a reverse thread drill bit) kit in there.

i'm gonna try Option 2, seems logical that it would be able to get mor torque on the bolt. Although i was thinkin, when i was gallavanting around walmart lol..............how bout a small pipe wrench? put some old shirt on the faring just in case I slip off the bolt but i'd put my hnad between the wrench and tail as much as possible still?

C4 works good also, about a 1/2 lb. j/k. I agree use better allen sockets. Snap on, Mac.

Back