Stripped Allen Bolt

Fan2zee

Registered
Of course, my last bolt out... I was taking off my rear brake rotor and the last "allen" head bolt rounded out. Any suggestions of getting her out?

I have been thru this situation many of times on my Harleys.
First of all,they are always a ##### to get out.And as usual,in your case...the last one.
You really need access to a person who can heliarc weld.For you,this may be a problem,but for me,this is something I deal with on a daily basis.
Take a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw and have the welder 'weld' on this bolt to the 'face' of the bolt you are trying to get out.
Just the heat alone will help free up the stuck rotor bolt,and you will have a good grip on the allen head of the new welded bolt...

HTH's

Cut a slot in it with a die-grinder,then use a hammer style impact driver(hand held hit with a hammmer type)...

A set of Bolt Outs and an impact driver as mentioned above works like a charm. My bro stripped two of his front caliper mounting bolts on his 6RR. The impact driver and Bolt Outs made short work of them. Order replacements from Ron Ayers and you're good to go.
wink.gif

To get them out, you have several options:

1) you can take a dremel and cut a slot in the top for a large use of a large flat screw driver or tap type impact drive

2) You can hace someone tack weld another bolt on top of it then use a socket or wrench to get it out.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134040426 -->

Successful Again... (1st) Used a dremmel tool to try to make the ID hex a size larger to fit the next size allen wrench... still rounded it out... (2nd) Tried the "easy out" but the previous owner used RED thread lock and the easy out wouldn't bite... (3rd) Back to the dremmel tool and formed a Hex on the OD. With the rotor still attached couldn't get a wrench/plier to grab. (4th) Back to Back Dremmel tool. Cut the rotor off, then a socket was able to fit over the bolt and OUT she Came!!!

Thanks Again for your Advice!!!!

Note: I didn't try the welding idea, due to the fact that the welder I had available is sort of a "Hacker" and I didn't want to take the chance of him messing up my chrome wheels...

Not trying to rag on ya', but how in the hell did you round out an allen head?  
rock.gif
<ul>
[*]The bolt use's a 6mm Allen Head. I have a set of Allen Head sockets set that use's a 1/4" wratchet.
[*]There were 15 bolts all together that were all <span style='color:red'>over-torque</span>and had <span style='color:red'>RED</span>lock-tite: 10 bolts for the front rotors and 5 for the rear.
[*]The bolts were in there so tight I had to stand the wheel up and use my weight as down force just to break them loose.
[*]After taking out all but 1, my "Craftsman" wratchet broke in the process of taking off the last bolt. Something in the internal bent and I know longer had a firm perpendicular alignment.
[*]When my angle changed with that much force, she rounded off.
[*]Was not too happy with Craftsman at the time!
[/list]

Not trying to rag on ya', but how in the hell did you round out an allen head?  
rock.gif
<ul>
[*]The bolt use's a 6mm Allen Head.  I have a set of Allen Head sockets set that use's a 1/4" wratchet.  
[*]There were 15 bolts all together that were all <span style='color:red'>over-torque</span>and had <span style='color:red'>RED</span>lock-tite:  10 bolts for the front rotors and 5 for the rear.  
[*]The bolts were in there so tight I had to stand the wheel up and use my weight as down force just to break them loose.
[*]After taking out all but 1, my "Craftsman" wratchet broke in the process of taking off the last bolt.  Something in the internal bent and I know longer had a firm perpendicular alignment.  
[*]When my angle changed with that much force, she rounded off.  
[*]Was not too happy with Craftsman at the time!
[/list]
Oops 3/8" wratchet not 1/4"...was the tool that broke...

Back