crash question

Chevy454

Registered
This is somewhat a noob question but I hear just about all the experienced guys saying that inexperienced riders shouldn’t get a bike . My question is what the most common mistake a inexperienced make that leads to a crash? My first bike was a 1200 and I never came close to a crash or had a close encounter.(knocking on wood)

I have had only one crash on any of my cruiser bikes in 32 plus years. I went down twice on the Busa in less than a year. Cause? Grabbing too much front brake!

"Target Fixation"... When your looking at stuff you shouldn't be while about to be or already in the middle of a turn.

Get the DVD "Twist Of The Wrist 2" by Keith Code

over confidence, not knowing their limits.... (general answer)

grabbing to much front brake, and/or not using rear brake...

Just respect the bike and know it can kill you.
If you take your time to learn the bike it can save you.:laugh:
:welcome:

Riding beyond their ability

Do you know how many times you can go into a corner too slow?

As many times as you want.

Do you know haow many times you can go in too fast?

Multitude of reasons people end up shinny side down. 99.9% are preventable with a little bit of care. Its all about being considerate of your surroundings and skill level.

Due to lack of seat time, noob may not know what to do if/when faced with an emergency situation. Stopped cars on a (blind) decreasing radius turn is a good example.

adding hp to the equation makes things happen really fast, common nw rider mistakes get amplified on a modrn sportbike.

example: grabbing too much throttle mid turn on an ex500....just make make the exhaust sound louder. cranking the throttle mid-turn on a busa, can put you on your butt or your head in a high side.

its not that a new rider is not capable, its that things happens so much faster when on a big hp bike. it takes experience to slow it all down.

This is somewhat a noob question but I hear just about all the experienced guys saying that inexperienced riders shouldn’t get a bike . My question is what the most common mistake a inexperienced make that leads to a crash? My first bike was a 1200 and I never came close to a crash or had a close encounter.(knocking on wood)

what kinda 1200? a 600SS bike is ALOT faster then a 1200cc hardley sporster.

mostly overconfident in their abilities. cuz the bike makes them think they are a better rider then they really are.

yea, over confidence and not knowing what to do in the situation.

I know riding with some great guys this past weekend, I was probably riding a little above my level, so be carefull in catching up with better riders because youll end up off roading.

Seen alot of cold tire crash's at the track. Build some heat up in the tires before you start to push or use tire warmers.

I would have to say that a major cause to accidents with new riders is them not paying attention to their surroundings.

I have had only one crash on any of my cruiser bikes in 32 plus years. I went down twice on the Busa in less than a year. Cause? Grabbing too much front brake!
I grabbed too much front brake on my 2007 kawasaki a couple years ago and did a summersault on my head,:laugh:
I found out the hard way it is better to use the back brake or back brake first then front brake:whistle:

Back