Cooling System Question

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
So I replaced the radiator earlier this year. Every few rides I had to top off the radiator as it gets low. I could tell it was getting low as the running temperature was creeping up. Never ran hot, I would always top it off before then. The other day, when I shut it off...I puked all over the ground. Probably a cup worth if not a little more. So yesterday I decided to try and track this down. I pulled the left plastic and noticed my reservoir tank was completely full. My head tells me that the coolant coming out was coming from the over flow on that.

So next, I filled the radiator again. Like I had been doing. Leaning it back and forth a bit to try and burp it. Had it filled just like normal. Then I decided to try leaning it farther...called the girlfriend over and we leaned it way over and back the other way as well. It then made room for another cup or so of antifreeze. So I ran it for a while, let it heat up and ran it for a bit longer and my problem never reappeared last night.

So my question is this. Would the air in the radiator be the cause of my reservoir filling up and then overflowing? I rode it to work this morning and it seemed fine. I imagine after a few days of riding I will find out for sure.

I've heard if the bike isn't leaned over enough air can get trapped and cause problems. Not sure about the over fill tank tho.

The Busa is air cooled, just make sure all the cylinder fins are clear and undamaged

If it's not corrected, think about replacing the cap. A weal cap can cause coolant to leak at temp, hopefully you're not looking at a bad head gasket.

The last 2 days have resulted in no coolant leaking out anywhere. But I just checked the reservoir tank and it is pretty much full again. Does anybody have any ideas?

The Busa is air cooled, just make sure all the cylinder fins are clear and undamaged

So the antifreeze/coolant is here just for added weight and traction? I don't think so bro

I'd do a block test. The radiator cap should be set to relieve pressure around the 15psi mark, and it would go to the reservoir. Try replacing the cap and if you still have issues, suspect a head gasket, the block test/compression test would confirm.

-D

Yeah, I didn't want to come out of the gate with head gasket but it looks like she might be blowing :laugh:

You guys and your antifreeze and such. You know darn well that's an oil cooler and the other is a transmission fluid cooler :poke:

Back