Coolant question...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
UPDATE: I broke down and got the Engine ICE.  Why?  Because I somewhat know the Manager at a Cycle Gear and one of the two bottles I was going to buy had a...ahem...leak in it.  Buy one get one free.  SOLD!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have already searched the nuts off of PG based coolants, Engine Ice (EI), Purple Ice, Evans NGP and Water Wetter.  

But I am looking for regular ethylene glycol (EG) coolant along the lines of Havoline Dex-Cool or other EG based coolants.

I don't give a rat's mustache about toxicity or amazing anti-freeze properties (the temp. in my garage never gets below freezing here in FL).  I'm looking for what will work best OVERALL for my bike.

Even the owner of EI, Dave, stated here that EI is not meant for "everyday use" but for extreme applications (track/drag) to see a noticable difference.

I don't take my bike to the track or even have a suitable track to take the bike too here in FL so meeting coolant track specs (WW) does not apply.

Have read the numerous stories from EI/WW users and looks as if it only worked slightly better for those that had overheating problems (track/drag/summer traffic riders) or made no diff. at all from EG coolant (everyday riders).

My stock set-up has been sufficient for me and maybe once every 6 months will I actually get stuck in traffic in warmer weather where the needle will climb to the 3/4 mark.

Does anyone use an EG based coolant they recommend?

I beg to differ on the EI...

First off... most tracks won't let you run much more then water in your coolant system~ They don't want the shiite all over their track should you bust apart your bike out there~ I commute to work on every non-rainy day we have around here~ Living in Port Richey and commuting to Saftey Harbor (about 34 miles one way) I used to sit at the lights with my fan running, damn near non-stop, and blowing the heat off the engine all over me~ Since I've flushed out my system and changed over to EI... my fan rarely comes on anymore~ Even riding with Brenda, on some days, I'll notice her fan running (haven't changed her over yet) while my Street Princess is still sitting as cool as ever~ So, I have to say, from personal experience, that EI does make a differance in every day use...  
wink.gif

Can't help you with the EG coolants~ Although I've seen it used around the doctor's offices in MRI machines and such~  
tounge.gif

(GJoker @ Mar. 08 2007,10:42) I beg to differ on the EI...

First off... most tracks won't let you run much more then water in your coolant system~ They don't want the shiite all over their track should you bust apart your bike out there~ I commute to work on every non-rainy day we have around here~ Living in Port Richey and commuting to Saftey Harbor (about 34 miles one way) I used to sit at the lights with my fan running, damn near non-stop, and blowing the heat off the engine all over me~ Since I've flushed out my system and changed over to EI... my fan rarely comes on anymore~ Even riding with Brenda, on some days, I'll notice her fan running (haven't changed her over yet) while my Street Princess is still sitting as cool as ever~ So, I have to say, from personal experience, that EI does make a differance in every day use...  
wink.gif

Can't help you with the EG coolants~ Although I've seen it used around the doctor's offices in MRI machines and such~  
tounge.gif
What's up G-man...BC and I missed you last weekend in Daytona/Hooters...what happened?

Anyway, I agree w/ what you are saying...the BS stop-go traffic YOU deal w/ daily is an example of where I agree EI can make a diff. (overheating situation).

But I will almost never be in traffic like that...like I said once every 6 months...and when it occurs I'll usually take a longer route (~same time) that keeps me moving because I can't stand being in idle traffic.

I was all set to get the EI until I researched it more thoroughly...just don't see the pay-off in MY situation.

Understood..

I was on call last weekend, so I couldn't get too far from home~ We really wanted to join you guys... I'm sure we will soon though~ Was gonna do the renisaunce (yes hellcat, I'm sure I mis-spellt that one too
tounge.gif
 ) fest this weekend, but the parental figures have asked us to join them at Ma's company picnic... oh joy~ Sunday is open house on our property, so we've gotta load the critters up in the cager and disappear for most of the day~ Won't be much riding this weekend either~ Well... except for riding to Ma's picnic thing~  
wink.gif

Soooo, anyone know of a reputable, yet toxic, motorcycle coolant I can use?

If you think you want to use Dex-cool, make absolutely SURE you eliminate any and ALL traces of the existing glycol-based coolant from your system. The two are NOT compatible in any way.

Frankly, here is little advantage to using the Dex if you do your job maintaining your cooling system as it is.

--Wag--

if you don't have any issues why do you HAVE to use the toxic crap? Is it cheaper or something? just curious... sounds like all you need is whatever coolant is sold by the jug at walmart...

Just my two cents. If your bus is over heating on a regular basis you might want to see if your systems needs to be burped. I had a 02 Grey and silver that had a over heating problem I put a muzzy fan on it ran engine ice and every thing else you could think of the fact is that when you sit in traffic the busa is a hot natured creature. I have an 05 Ltd now and no problems with it just running the good ol Honda coolant just change the coolant every one and half to two years.
biggrin.gif

I went to Autozone and bought a gallon of green Prestone. We're back to the good 'ol days...all the major coolant brands are now compatible with every modern manufacturer and safe for all metals. You can even add the new stuff to Dexcool without it jelling.

They no longer offered all the different types that used to be available. Now it's just one type from Prestone, Zerex, Peak ect.

Pulled the hose off the water pump, ran distilled water through the radiator and resevoir to flush it out and refilled with the new stuff. Burped it several time (lots of air gets trapped in there!) and it's good to go for the next two years.

Tell me about the burping thing I still think I have air up there. My bike still gets hotter now than before I change it out.

O_E.. the service guy at Sky said he likes the Liquid Performance. It's water based instead of oil based. In case it leaks out it won't get your tires slippery, plus he stated it was better on the engine than Engine Ice.

read more here.

Thanks Brenda, but I already broke down and got the Engine ICE. Why? Because I somewhat know the Manager at a Cycle Gear and one of the two bottles I was going to buy had a...ahem...leak in it. Buy one get one free. SOLD!!!

(jessup @ Mar. 30 2007,11:27) Does it have to be distilled water?
Yes, there are too many impurities in tap water which will leave mineral deposits throughout the cooling system. You can pick up a gallon of distilled water from any Walgreens or grocery store for less than a dollar.

All the major brands also offer 50/50 premixed gallon jugs. Sort of rip off since the cost is the same.

Back