Computer gurus, I need help.

Zoinks!

Registered
Ok, I know my way around a computer pretty well and can usually figure out how to do pretty much anything I need. But I've run into an issue and I don't know if there's any way for me to fix it or if it needs to be taken care of by someone with more equipment than I have. My lovely PC utilizing IE, has acquired a trojan horse SHeur2.AKAI and AKAL. I'm assuming that's what's causing my issues. Every time I boot I get a STOP error 0x0000008E. There are 4 other number/letter sequences in parentheses, but the 2 in the middle change every time I boot. The 1st and last are always 0xC0000005 and 0x00000000. The only thing I can do is boot in safe mode. I ran an AVG scan of the full system and found the trojans. There may be others, but those are the only 2 that I saw. They reoccurred several times, some on the C: drive and some in I E5. Is there any way that I can get rid of them from safe mode? I set the AVG scan to "clean automatically" but I still get the STOP error.

You can go through the nutroll of trying to clean it but I would recommend wiping it and starting over with a fresh install assuming you've been backing up your critical data. Just not worth the hassle IMHO and lots of this malware tanks your box when you try to remove it. Good luck bro.

Is it possible that the external HD that all my files are on is infected too? I kept it connected most of the time just for convenience cause I took pretty much all my files off my HD. I just left all the running programs and stuff on there. Everything that loads with the OS and all the office programs and all that stuff. But all my picture files, documents, music files, and 1 or 2 programs are on my external. And do I need a new HD or is there a way to do a complete format and still use the one I have. I don't exactly have the extra cash for a new HD. I mean, I can buy one, but it wouldn't be the best use of the money I have.

It most likely is sitting resident on your external HDD. You can use AVG but I also recommend using Malwarebytes.org. Yes, use BOTH of them.

If you cannot clean everything using Malwarebytes and AVG, do a complete reinstall of Windows to be completely safe. Then immediately install AVG or another anti-virus. Then reinstall your software.

Your external HDD should be disconnected when you install windows and the antivirus software. When you first plug it in it should be scanned immediately and it'll be cleaned.

Prepare for a very long boring night and Good Luck!

"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup

see if this is applicable.. if so, pull some ram out, try again until you have removed each stick and rebooted..

when all else fails and you need none of the data? wipe the boot sector and have at it.. :)

(I keep spare hard drives around just for this type of issue.. then I recover the data off the old drive, more than happy to loan you one.. :)

Last edited:
"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup

see if this is applicable.. if so, pull some ram out, try again until you have removed each stick and rebooted..

That's applicable now, but the first time it happened wasn't during a boot. It just appeared. AVG pulled up a threat, I tried to heal it, but it wouldn't, the computer was running super slow and then after a little while I got the STOP error. And to PandaNin, is there a way to access the internet from safe mode? It won't establish an internet connection. I thought safe mode disabled internet capabilities?

In Safe mode you cannot access the internet (unless using Safe Mode with Networking). If you have another computer available download the software and put it on a USB memory stick to xfer it to the infected computer. Then in safe mode you should be able to install it.

If you cannot get malwarebytes installed, unplug the external HDD, reformat and start over, then when connected to net, install AVG and malware, then reconnect external HDD.

Last edited:
You can boot up with safe mode w/networking. Had good luck with hard to remove viruses
with Webroot antivirus with antispyware.

Well, yes I do, but for some reason I don't think that was a serious question. And I'm sorry, but what is "(Barts PE)"?

It's a bootable CD tool kit. It has some pretty powerful tools on it. Don't use it unless you know what you are doing.

it will let you fire up your PC with a completely separate OS... you can then scan the existing disk, rescue any files you need and then wipe the disk clean if that is the route you want to take... very slick tool but is like taking a fire axe to a hang nail...

In Safe mode you cannot access the internet (unless using Safe Mode with Networking). If you have another computer available download the software and put it on a USB memory stick to xfer it to the infected computer. Then in safe mode you should be able to install it.

If you cannot get malwarebytes installed, unplug the external HDD, reformat and start over, then when connected to net, install AVG and malware, then reconnect external HDD.

Well, I tried the safe mode with networking, but it wouldn't let me do that either. It's probably because it's a laptop and connects wirelessly. I'll try a direct connection in a little while and see if I can get it cleaned up. If not I guess I'll just have to format the HD. I hate doing that, though. It takes forever to get everything installed and working again.

it will let you fire up your PC with a completely separate OS... you can then scan the existing disk, rescue any files you need and then wipe the disk clean if that is the route you want to take... very slick tool but is like taking a fire axe to a hang nail...

Fire axe to a hang nail, huh? Sounds interesting. Also sounds expensive, which right now rules that option out.

naw, it is free... Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

you can also shoot over to Bootdisk.Com for some nifty stuff.. if you see something there you need, let me know and I will get you the files (Ed is a good friend of mine and a customer) Also a site called MULTITASK SUITE, if what you want is there, I can get that too...

Sounds good. I'll let you know. Right now I have an essay to write and a psychology test to study for, so I'm done messing with it for now, but I'll definitely let you know if I need anything. I really appreciate it.

Another option for your scanning/cleaning of the nasty is to use a LiveCD with an antivirus program. Many of the new trojans set themselves up as a service in Windows and won't let you remove them while running Windows. (It's kinda like changing the spark plugs in your car while driving down the interstate)

I would suggest that you download Avira AntiVir Rescue System and burn it to a blank CD. the file will be saved as rescue.exe. it's a little over 50 Meg and it should burn itself to CD when you execute it. if not it will ask if you want to save an ISO file. if it doesn't burn it straight out then take this option.

an ISO file is basically an image file of the CD/DVD. soif you don't have an option to "Burn Disc Image" in your CD burning software download InfraRecorder (also free) and choose "Burn Image" under the "Actions" menu in the top bar.

Using the AntiVir Rescue CD is pretty simple. First you need to reboot the computer and have the CD in the machine. Most machines have the option to change boot order by pressing a Function key (say F12 or something) if the machine isn't already configured to look at the CDRom as an initial boot device.

Once the program starts just hit your Enter key and accept the default. it will start a graphical user environment. once in the GUI click the British flag on the bottom to change the language to English. Then go to "Configuration" and check the two boxes in the middle that say "Try to repair infected files" and "Rename files if they cannot be removed". now click "Virus Scanner" on the left menu to switch to the scanning section. now you are ready to scan the drive.

once it is complete you will see a list of stuff it cleaned or renamed. after looking it over you can exit the program by going to "Miscellaneous" in the left menu and then selecting "Shutdown"

Remove the disc and reboot normally into Windows. once inside Windows go to Malwarebytes.org and get the free malware scanner. download and run it. also update your antivirus and after the malware scan is complete scan your system with it.

above all have patience. it can be very frustrating, but if you take your time and research the problems you can whip most all the nasties out there without resorting to formatting and re-installing.

also, you can use various LiveCDs to save your data if Windows becomes problematic. it's nice to have the option of popping in a LiveCD, booting the machine, entering a GUI, accessing your "My Documents", and saving the information to an external drive.

good luck getting things sorted.

Another option for your scanning/cleaning of the nasty is to use a LiveCD with an antivirus program. Many of the new trojans set themselves up as a service in Windows and won't let you remove them while running Windows. (It's kinda like changing the spark plugs in your car while driving down the interstate)

I would suggest that you download Avira AntiVir Rescue System and burn it to a blank CD. the file will be saved as rescue.exe. it's a little over 50 Meg and it should burn itself to CD when you execute it. if not it will ask if you want to save an ISO file. if it doesn't burn it straight out then take this option.

an ISO file is basically an image file of the CD/DVD. soif you don't have an option to "Burn Disc Image" in your CD burning software download InfraRecorder (also free) and choose "Burn Image" under the "Actions" menu in the top bar.

Using the AntiVir Rescue CD is pretty simple. First you need to reboot the computer and have the CD in the machine. Most machines have the option to change boot order by pressing a Function key (say F12 or something) if the machine isn't already configured to look at the CDRom as an initial boot device.

Once the program starts just hit your Enter key and accept the default. it will start a graphical user environment. once in the GUI click the British flag on the bottom to change the language to English. Then go to "Configuration" and check the two boxes in the middle that say "Try to repair infected files" and "Rename files if they cannot be removed". now click "Virus Scanner" on the left menu to switch to the scanning section. now you are ready to scan the drive.

once it is complete you will see a list of stuff it cleaned or renamed. after looking it over you can exit the program by going to "Miscellaneous" in the left menu and then selecting "Shutdown"

Remove the disc and reboot normally into Windows. once inside Windows go to Malwarebytes.org and get the free malware scanner. download and run it. also update your antivirus and after the malware scan is complete scan your system with it.

above all have patience. it can be very frustrating, but if you take your time and research the problems you can whip most all the nasties out there without resorting to formatting and re-installing.

also, you can use various LiveCDs to save your data if Windows becomes problematic. it's nice to have the option of popping in a LiveCD, booting the machine, entering a GUI, accessing your "My Documents", and saving the information to an external drive.

good luck getting things sorted.
Hmm never seen this one before.. sounds sort of like the BartPE ready made... will download and see what it looks like...thx..

well that was easy enough...
I had to reset my bios to boot from CD/DVD was all

you need to click the little Union Jack at the bottom to get english and then make sure you update the virus definition file (I could not, am behind firewall) and the just accept the defaults for settings... worked pretty nicely but have no idea how effective it is.. does work like Barts however... :thumbsup:

I've had very good luck with it on far too many Windows machines. :D

the download you get from the main site is updated with new virus definitions several times a day so unless you download it today and don't get around to using it until a month from now you will be up to date right out of the box.

a friend of mine used it to clean his wife's computer. after AntiVir renamed the files McAfee "found" the files and then removed them.

she had just re-upped her subscription to McAfee a couple days earlier. :poke:

I've had very good luck with it on far too many Windows machines. :D

the download you get from the main site is updated with new virus definitions several times a day so unless you download it today and don't get around to using it until a month from now you will be up to date right out of the box.

a friend of mine used it to clean his wife's computer. after AntiVir renamed the files McAfee "found" the files and then removed them.

she had just re-upped her subscription to McAfee a couple days earlier. :poke:
I downloaded today and it said definition file was more than 14 days old was all... I just cant get outside the firewall I have here without a browser window..

Back