Computer Geek question

Dr.Jekyll

Registered
OK...I have a hard drive from a Toshiba lap top. The computer itself is fried, but I think the hard drive is in tact. At any rate, I have a Sony Vaio laptop now. I need to know how to get the information off of the Toshiba laptop hard drive and either on to a DVD, or more directly, on to my Sony laptop hard drive. Anyone know how to do this?...what equipment I need?

Toshiba used to be really good about having external enclosures for their internal devices, might check that route to see if they have any type of "2nd drive" bay that would allow you to use the HD in it. Probalby would be firewire or USB

Whenever I need to recover data from a dead laptop, I use a laptop harddrive adapter and just plug the drive onto a standard 40 pin IDE in a desktop PC as a slave.

Link

17705.jpg

Go to Best Buy and get an USB external hard drive carrier. The sell empty carriers just waiting for you to install a hard drive in for ~$50. Do not buy one that already has a drive in it. You will need to know if your hard drive is 2 1/2 or 3 1/2. Install the hard drive in the carrier, plug it into any USB port, and you have access to your data, and you now have a portable HD.

Back