Coming down from 130+ mph

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
After doing the MSF course I wanted to test slowing down at high speeds. So I found this road that is about a 1/2mile straight w/ no cops ever and no intersections -- an entry road to Ft. McClellan here in Anniston. So... I wanted to test slowing down using both brakes with downshifting. When I went from 6th to 5th the rear tire did a hiccup or maybe spun for a split second. It didn't scare me or anything because I've had this happen before. So my question: what do some of the more experienced busa riders recommend doing when slowing down from high speeds?

Just letting off the gas and gentle braking?

Thanks.

Not that I would classify myself as "experienced" but I have found when coming down from a high speed run, just roll off the throttle and sit up.

You are not talking about emergency stopping, you are just talking about slowing down, right. The bike and wind drag will slow you down rather quickly.

JMHO

Don

PaN your situation must have been a wake up call, since when do you slow down?

Yeah, that's what I mean. I have just been letting off the throttle and then sitting up gradually.

But that's a good question you brought up... what about emergency stopping at high speeds? I guess apply the brakes with more pressure but not lock anything up. And I guess if you choose to go super fast you have to expect and be ready to stop super slow!

Body air brake... I am 6'4" and just go fully upright in an exaggerated fashion. Also, I drop my legs and flare them. This really brings you down fast. Then once you are at a more reasonable speed just do the rear front progressive brake application you were taught at MSF.
Oh don't try the airbrake at over 160mph because your front end might come up with all of the drag... Don't ask me how I know this but inadvertantly pulling a airdrag wheelie is kind sketchy when trying to slow down from 180mph.

Oh and at really high speeds just drop your legs first then raise your upper body after the suspension compresses.

(heavybusa @ Oct. 15 2006,19:35) PaN your situation must have been a wake up call, since when do you slow down?
haha!

When I told this one dude at the MSF course today that I've gone around 170 so far on my busa he thought I was crazy since he said the fastest he's ever been is 140 in a car. I told him that the busa gets up to speed so quickly you don't even realize the speed sometimes and that 140 on a busa feels like nothing.... well, not nothing.... but feels very stable.

For me:
- sit up SLOWLY
- let off gas [obviously]
- downshifting [usualy race track only]
- large amounts of front break

- PERSONALLY, I ONLY use rear for slowing down
IF it's an emergency,
IF sitting up and front braking is not doing as much as hoped,
IF I am able to apply it sparingly.

A rear lockup above 130 would not be much of a fun ride. I'll leave that kinda stunt to Ghost Rider.

I loved the MSF course, but they don't train you to break from Ludicrous Speed

my 2cents

If there is enough space, like at the dragstrip, I just pull in the clutch and sit up, the bike will slow down on its own. If it's an area where I need to slow more quickly, I'll downshift and let the engine slow the bike . If ist's a panic, all the front I can grab without locking it, downshift and sit up all at the same time. For me, the rear brake is only used at low speeds and just to slow down, never to stop.

I am not an expert, but I get off gas, start hitting front brake light at first as Projekt mentioned, then once the weight shifts to the front give more and more front brake and start giving back brake lightly (if needing to stop fast). Once you peel some speed off start shifting down. If your needing to stop really fast I will pull the clutch also.

For me a high speed stop...150+...off the gas, a whole lotta front
break, clutch in, a down shift, then some rear brake if I have plenty
of room still. In a panic stop it's front brake and clutch in...rear braking
and down shifting is not going to do you any good
sad.gif

Roll off the gas.
Down shift.
Apply a little back brake.
Apply a little more front brake.

That's just my opinion.

When braking from any speed in excess of the posted speed, I highly recommend staying completely away from the rear brake. It will give you a bad case of road rash. If you are braking hard with the front, the rear brake does you no good since the weight of the entire bike is transferred to the front. You want the rear tire to remain rolling to keep it behind you. Just touching the rear brake lightly can be disasterous in that situation. I've been there and totally distroyed a 2003 busa. Hauled it home in boxes. I now ride with my toe on the peg so the rear brake is not readily accessable.

When attending Mike Sullivan's Race School, the first thing he told us was to stay off the rear brake. He says most of the crashes from first time school attendee's are from use of the rear brake.

(Tufbusa @ Oct. 16 2006,00:40) When braking from any speed in excess of the posted speed, I highly recommend staying completely away from the rear brake. It will give you a bad case of road rash. If you are braking hard with the front, the rear brake does you no good since the weight of the entire bike is transferred to the front. You want the rear tire to remain rolling to keep it behind you. Just touching the rear brake lightly can be disasterous in that situation. I've been there and totally distroyed a 2003 busa. Hauled it home in boxes. I now ride with my toe on the peg so the rear brake is not readily accessable.

When attending Mike Sullivan's Race School, the first thing he told us was to stay off the rear brake. He says most of the crashes from first time school attendee's are from use of the rear brake.
sorry to here about your bike but i tottaly agree with you...
AAAssjani.gif
hitting the rear brake at high speeds is a no no. i barely use my rear brake at all but thats just me.
coffee.gif

80% front 20% back brakes. I never downshift to let the engine brake for me at high speeds.... But thats just me.

let off the gas and first apply LIGHT rear brake pressure, this will set up the front suspension for max braking and lets the bike 'squat' when applying the front brake.  I tend to let off most pressure on the rear brake at this point and then apply more pressure to the front.  gradual and progressive braking is the key here. smooth is fast!

glad to hear your practicing braking from higher speeds,  some of the more novice speed junkies will tend to just take the bike up to speed.  ask them to do a stop at high speed, say 120+ and most would be scared out of there wits at actually practicing using 90% of their braking ability. it's something I highly encourage as it will make you think if you want to go fast "do I have enough room to slow down fast If I have to?"

(Mr. Anderson @ Oct. 16 2006,08:44) let off the gas and first apply LIGHT rear brake pressure, this will set up the front suspension for max braking and lets the bike 'squat' when applying the front brake.  I tend to let off most pressure on the rear brake at this point and then apply more pressure to the front.  gradual and progressive braking is the key here. smooth is fast!
This is bad information. Leave the rear brake alone at high speeds, period.

Me, roll off the throttle first and at the sametime sit up and add FRONT brake then down gear with the bike STILL STRAIGHT UP !! If your going tooooo fast, you can drag the front brake (trail braking) through the corner. And ALWAYS look at where you want to go no matter what is happening. If in a panic, KEEP the bike straight up and brake (front brake) hard (without locking the front brake), off throttle, sit up, move as far forward as possible, and (I know this is hard in a panic) keep the bike straight up until you can release the brake and turn. Remember it's always better to crash undercontrol than out of control if a crash can't be avoided.

I really recommend you go to a track to practice (take some classes) and not learn how to brake and turn at speeds above 120 mph on the street.

wear thick sole boots, and put yer feet down flintstone style! if that doesn't work, wear thicker boots next time!

rear brakes at that speed should be left alone.. airbreaking at that speed should be left alone.. front brake and engine for the win... imo.. I would only ever rear break during 40 to 50mph panic stopping.... msf rules on this area are out the window...  again just what I do

EDIT: It's Rear not Year... hehe woops

Back