Colorblind?

Oh how I wish that was true.

I admit that I could never be an electrician because they color the wires and transistors with so
many colors that it's impossible to even guess which are the right ones.

Even though there are a few things that I (we colorblind people) can see that other can't
they are far and few between....

You forgot the most important thing .

WE are not colorblind,
WE see things the right way .

WE just happen to be be the unique minority,
it's the rest of the world that can't see things the right way .

:laugh:

Shades of Grey ( cream ) 2 . 1 to the rescue ~ all I can say is that my life is pretty plain *

Last edited:
I worry about how it could affect him in the future with career choices. I know it'll limit both boys in some ways and I hate that

I think in certain situations, I identify hue by what I know more than what I see. For example, I know grass is green, therefore when I look at a lush field of grass in mid summer after a few weeks of much rain, I see green with as many nuances in color as anyone else. If I wake up and open my eyes on that same field, I might not know it is grass right away so it may actually look brown or maybe even reddish--the opposite!

I hesitate to call it "color blindness". It is not blindness. I think it can usually be described very legitimately as "another way of seeing color".

I definitely see a rich variety of color but at about the age of 30, I finally accepted that what I see is significantly different than what people with normal color vision see. Even so, I successfully pursued a career as an illustrator for 11 years and the closely guarded secret never ONCE came up. I made a living doing this as a private contractor and a very busy artist employee. The secret--DON'T TALK ABOUT HUE. Let the other guy (or better yet, gal) tell you what the color is. Until then, talk about it in terms of tone, temperature and intensity. Just avoid naming the exact hue. Worked for me every time.

Color vision is an important part of seeing but there is just so so so SO much more to visual perception. Aside from the exact hue we see (or don't see) we percieve its relative warmth or coolness, it's brightness or purity of hue and its relative darkness or paleness. If you're a practiced painter, you probably have an awareness of a color's opacity or transparency which is how much it refracts light. We recognize patterns, the whole spectrum of hard and soft edges and every kind of mark that can be made with every instrument man made or natural. We see shapes, contours and texture. Infact, most of the info gathered by our eyes goes toward telling us what objects feel like before we we actualy need to touch them. We have exceptional depth perception which allows us to almost see around objects and very good perception of even subtle movement. I could go on but I think that covers enough visual phenomena to show that seeing entails a lot more than just identifying the exact hue. If you start to get into how each individual's brain impacts their visual perception, what each person "sees" becomes even more unique. The whole point is that you can be a very visual person without having typical color vision. We're not all seeing the same thing anyway.

On the flip side I can see a pheasant in a field of grass better than most and feel I have better contrast ability than most.

At certain times I have seen color vibration at the edge of opposite colored objects that others say theuy do not see. I am certain that my night vision is much more acute than most people. I notice subtle variations of tone in all sorts of light that others don't see. Things like an almost imperceptible reflection in the dark side of the moon even during a daylight moon--I see it, others can't for the life of them and they think I'm nuts. Yes, this is possible--the moon does in fact reflect back to the Earth the light that reflects off of the Earth. https://www.space.com/6556-earth-reflection-varies-moon.html I see animals on the roadside at night. I have been in a photographic dark room with a light sealed window and after several minutes been able to vaguely see what I was working with. My glow in the dark jeweled watch was the only light in there. If any light from the window leaked, the film wasn't getting exposed so basically, this was total darkness. I'm far from any kind of blind as far as I'm concerned.

...although when it comes to cut and dry hue ID, yeah, being an electrician might not be a wise career choice. In other fields that are more computer intense, there are ways to compensate for the lack of ability to discern hues. They might work for people with a common deficiency in cone cells. To date, color corrective lenses do not restore typical color vision (no matter what they tell you on the internet) but they might help in identifying the exact hue between use of your uncorrected color vision. I have tried color corrective lenses out and hated it but they might function as a tool that comes into brief periodic use.

I am happy to report I could clearly see the fourth spot with total clarity.
It said "deposit photos" right in the center!
Do I win something?

I think in certain situations, I identify hue by what I know more than what I see. For example, I know grass is green, therefore when I look at a lush field of grass in mid summer after a few weeks of much rain, I see green with as many nuances in color as anyone else. If I wake up and open my eyes on that same field, I might not know it is grass right away so it may actually look brown or maybe even reddish--the opposite!

I hesitate to call it "color blindness". It is not blindness. I think it can usually be described very legitimately as "another way of seeing color".

I definitely see a rich variety of color but at about the age of 30, I finally accepted that what I see is significantly different than what people with normal color vision see. Even so, I successfully pursued a career as an illustrator for 11 years and the closely guarded secret never ONCE came up. I made a living doing this as a private contractor and a very busy artist employee. The secret--DON'T TALK ABOUT HUE. Let the other guy (or better yet, gal) tell you what the color is. Until then, talk about it in terms of tone, temperature and intensity. Just avoid naming the exact hue. Worked for me every time.

Color vision is an important part of seeing but there is just so so so SO much more to visual perception. Aside from the exact hue we see (or don't see) we percieve its relative warmth or coolness, it's brightness or purity of hue and its relative darkness or paleness. If you're a practiced painter, you probably have an awareness of a color's opacity or transparency which is how much it refracts light. We recognize patterns, the whole spectrum of hard and soft edges and every kind of mark that can be made with every instrument man made or natural. We see shapes, contours and texture. Infact, most of the info gathered by our eyes goes toward telling us what objects feel like before we we actualy need to touch them. We have exceptional depth perception which allows us to almost see around objects and very good perception of even subtle movement. I could go on but I think that covers enough visual phenomena to show that seeing entails a lot more than just identifying the exact hue. If you start to get into how each individual's brain impacts their visual perception, what each person "sees" becomes even more unique. The whole point is that you can be a very visual person without having typical color vision. We're not all seeing the same thing anyway.

I've learned to not worry too much; neither minds too much since this is all their norm, and they take the teasing from both friends and family very well.

Only downside thus far is that my youngest really wanted to be a pilot; he still talks about it, even had his high school counselor reach out to the Air Force and Navy, asking questions about flying and being color blind. That's been kind of rough to watch, but he'll just find another path...

Back