Colorblind?

RedBusarider

Registered
I didn't think this topic was worth a poll so I decided to post it here.

I was looking through some posts which included pictures, where some parts were circled with different colors.
After finding the circles in red I thought to myself the poster must not be colorblind.

I know that most people that are NOT colorblind rarely if ever think about people that are and how it effects them.

Who ever started the traffic light system surely was not colorblind using 2 of the three colors that are most common among colorblind people, Red and Green.

So the question is are you colorblind and to what degree?

I have seen the color vision plates that they use to check for colorblindness. The book is usually 20 plates. I failed everyone of them.
However, I don't live in a Black and White world, far from it. it's just that I don't see what most people see.
Grass is not green and neither is the GO light on a traffic light.
Some pinks can give me trouble - however I usually see Red just fine - note my user name. :laugh:
Many Purples I will call Blue. I could never be an electrician for example and a fall color tour doesn't have the same WOW factor that most people experience.
On the flip side I can see a pheasant in a field of grass better than most and feel I have better contrast ability than most.

If anyone ever wanted to help out the world of colorblind people without effecting the world of normal color vision people here is my advice.
Use super contrasting colors when two or more colors are used and stay away from green and reds as much as possible, except maybe at Christmas time. :laugh:
Yellow and blue are high contrast against each other as an example, however I believe most colorblind people are unique in exactly what then can and cannot see color-wise.

I don't expect to hear from any women on this forum unless your father was colorblind and you passed it to your son.
Funny isn't it - women are the carriers and men are the receivers. :poke:

I'm red-green colorblind. I don't buy my cloths and have someone with me when I buy vehicles. I learned those the hard way. There are websites you can use to see what something will look like to colorblind people.

I was tested in elementary school and I am color blind. Green, Browns, and Tans all seem to run together when I look at one of those little dot charts. What I have learned is although I may see those colors differently, I can still see the colors. For example, all of my life I have had people say that is not brown, it is green. Now I can decipher slight differences because I have been told what looks like green to others.

I set tile for a living and we are always dealing with colors and picking out grout colors, etc. Some colors do not look good together to me but I now they look good together for other people. It has been so long that don't even think about it anymore and those colors even look good together for me now.

One of those whole deals where if something is that way all your life it is just normal and you adapt. I have not even thought about it for I bet 5 plus years till I saw your thread.

I wonder if other people have a similar experience as me with adapting to color blindness and not even realizing it?

I'm red/green colorblind too(military confirmed it, then wouldn't let me in over some screws in my bones).
It's kinda strange, two like colors can look different, and two different colors can look the same. Of course someone else points this out to me.
I always look for the position of the lights in traffic lights. Most of the time I can tell which is green or red(regardless of what they really look like to me). Every once and a while I can't, but I know stop is on the top and go is on the bottom:laugh: A lot of times the green looks white and the red looks green.
I have trouble with blues and purples sometimes also. As well as greens and browns.
I don't live in a black/white world either, as some people seem to think.
Strangely enough, I can stare at certain colors
(nothing particular), and they will literally change, fading to a darker or lighter shade, and occasionally to a different color.

For the record, I see everything the right way...and everyone else is colorblind! I just happen to be the minority:laugh:

Yes, mild red/green defect in colour vision for me. Just bad enough to not be a pilot, but ok for surface transportation tasks.
In real life I have no issues, only when I'm doing the Ishihara test with the coloured circles of balls and numbers does it show.
Some time ago I recall reading an article about colour vision correcting lenses, as in a pair of glasses one could wear to alleviate the red/green deficiency, got onto the subject by a buddy of mine who wanted to drive trains and got knocked back on the physical for colour vision issues. Would hate to think what them glasses would cost though :omg:

I'm red/green colorblind too(military confirmed it, then wouldn't let me in over some screws in my bones).
It's kinda strange, two like colors can look different, and two different colors can look the same. Of course someone else points this out to me.
I always look for the position of the lights in traffic lights. Most of the time I can tell which is green or red(regardless of what they really look like to me). Every once and a while I can't, but I know stop is on the top and go is on the bottom:laugh: A lot of times the green looks white and the red looks green.
I have trouble with blues and purples sometimes also. As well as greens and browns.
I don't live in a black/white world either, as some people seem to think.
Strangely enough, I can stare at certain colors
(nothing particular), and they will literally change, fading to a darker or lighter shade, and occasionally to a different color.

For the record, I see everything the right way...and everyone else is colorblind! I just happen to be the minority:laugh:

Well we have a few things in common.
The green traffic light is normally white to me also. I remember driving at night soon after I got my license and going through an intersection and not until
I was through it, did I notice that it was one because there where vehicles waiting at the red light. To me I thought that it was a street light hanging down to light the intersection.

Two colors looking different are common, I believe because we have better contrast ability than most. So when normal colorvision people say these two colors are the same but we see two
different colors I believe that we are correct and could prove it using a densitometer or by scanning the two objects into photoshop and then using the CMYK reading to
prove that they are indeed different in density therefore are really two different colors.

Yes, mild red/green defect in colour vision for me. Just bad enough to not be a pilot, but ok for surface transportation tasks.
In real life I have no issues, only when I'm doing the Ishihara test with the coloured circles of balls and numbers does it show.
Some time ago I recall reading an article about colour vision correcting lenses, as in a pair of glasses one could wear to alleviate the red/green deficiency, got onto the subject by a buddy of mine who wanted to drive trains and got knocked back on the physical for colour vision issues. Would hate to think what them glasses would cost though :omg:

Commercial Pilots are not supposed to be colorblind. ANOTHER non colorblind person chose the colors to be used in the cockpit and on the ground. If they would have used contrasting colors there
is a good chance 90% of colorblind people could have become pilots.

I doubt that they will ever have glasses to correct colorvision as each person is different in there exact colorblind levels.
What good would it be to be able to pass the Ishihara test but there being a (rose?) colored tint to everything we saw?
Surgery would have to be done on the rods and cones in our eyes. Because we are a minority I doubt that it will ever happen.
Then again if they ever get to the stage that Star Trek portrayed of the Doctor waving a wand over someone and healing them - well then it might happen. :laugh:
Unfortunately again I doubt that will happen - at least in our lifetime. :banghead:

Like Adam G. I can tell something is red or green if it matches the hue of the red and green crayons in a Crayola box. That's what I was taught my colors using. Start mixing them with other colors and game over. My wife has to pick the wires out when I'm working on the car/bike. I tell her which color based on the wire diagram and she marks it for me.

Like Adam G. I can tell something is red or green if it matches the hue of the red and green crayons in a Crayola box. That's what I was taught my colors using. Start mixing them with other colors and game over. My wife has to pick the wires out when I'm working on the car/bike. I tell her which color based on the wire diagram and she marks it for me.

Looks like many of us have things in common color wise. It seems I remember learning colors from the
Crayons in a Crayola box. The problems started when I memorized what the green looked like and then someone
Would show me something else and say that was green also but it didn't look anything like the green crayon!

I remember going shopping for some off-white pants (I didn't want pure white as they get dirty quickly) so
I picked out some off-white pant and went to pay and the female clerk said "that's a nice color", I thought what is
she talking about and left the store. When I got home my Mother asked me if I knew what color pants I had bought,
I said off-white, she said there mint green!

BusaWipped I too have to usually ask for help when multiple color wires are presented.
Yet I can wire up a home as black and white is the most common with a red thrown in for 3 or 4 way switches.

So far including myself there are 5 of us (that have replied) that are colorblind in some way or another.
I know it's summertime and the forum is less active now but I thought there might be more than just 5 of us. :laugh:

Being color blind has been a difficulty I have battled my whole life, Shades throw me right out the window...Im OK with solid colors AKA "Crayola Crayons" that I was taught as a kid...I dont see all these shades and color blends though...My wife lines up my clothes by color combination for me, all reds together, blacks together, whites together you could say my closet is racist...all my blue jeans together etc and I know where each one is which helps me out getting ready for work in the mornings...she gets mad at me though when we are out shopping when she tells me to go pick out some clothes I like....then I bring stuff back and she thinks Im nuts because nothing matches...or the funniest in my opinion is when she asks me how something looks and I reply with thats a nice "insert wrong color" shirt/pants etc...and she sighs and says "Why do I even ask you!"

Wow, good point.

I never thought how it would affect others.

:laugh:

Most people don't :banghead:

Sometimes I think colorblindness should qualify as a disability.
But then again every once in awhile I can see something normal people can't. Rare but I happens once in a blue moon or 3.

I just noticed that the Wow, good point. was in color I knew the second sentence was (maybe not what color but it wasn't black like most text is).

Being color blind has been a difficulty I have battled my whole life, Shades throw me right out the window...Im OK with solid colors AKA "Crayola Crayons" that I was taught as a kid...I dont see all these shades and color blends though...My wife lines up my clothes by color combination for me, all reds together, blacks together, whites together you could say my closet is racist...all my blue jeans together etc and I know where each one is which helps me out getting ready for work in the mornings...she gets mad at me though when we are out shopping when she tells me to go pick out some clothes I like....then I bring stuff back and she thinks Im nuts because nothing matches...or the funniest in my opinion is when she asks me how something looks and I reply with thats a nice "insert wrong color" shirt/pants etc...and she sighs and says "Why do I even ask you!"

Your whole life - :rofl::rofl::rofl: We are all born with it - most likely due to our Grandfather having been color blind too.

Your wife (like most females) just can't imagine being colorblind as maybe only 1 in a million females are colorblind because they are the carriers not the receivers.

I don't know how long you have been married, but it seems that women almost always think a man will change (or that they can change them) so she expected you
to get better at telling colors the longer you were married and can' figure it out why you are not getting better at telling colors. :rofl: Maybe it is slowly sinking in. :laugh:

I know that Red is not the most popular color of Busa - but I can see it as RED not pink, not orange or any other shade, it looks red to me.
When I bought mine the only other one they had there, was purple and I can't see purple, at least not not like most people.

Your whole life - :rofl::rofl::rofl: We are all born with it - most likely due to our Grandfather having been color blind too.

Your wife (like most females) just can't imagine being colorblind as maybe only 1 in a million females are colorblind because they are the carriers not the receivers.

I don't know how long you have been married, but it seems that women almost always think a man will change (or that they can change them) so she expected you
to get better at telling colors the longer you were married and can' figure it out why you are not getting better at telling colors. :rofl: Maybe it is slowly sinking in. :laugh:

I know that Red is not the most popular color of Busa - but I can see it as RED not pink, not orange or any other shade, it looks red to me.
When I bought mine the only other one they had there, was purple and I can't see purple, at least not not like most people.

We just got married in May, maybe after a few more years the 'Im Color Blind" will sink in for her...LOL...

I too owned the 04 Limited RED and loved that bike...I however decided to go a little crazy with customizing it and lost that sexy red color...yours looks nice and clean though...

My Dad's color blind, my grandfather was color blind, and his grandfather as well...I come from a long line of men unable to dress themselves apparently...LMAO...

I just noticed that the Wow, good point. was in color I knew the second sentence was (maybe not what color but it wasn't black like most text is).

First was red, then green. ;)

My buddy is colourblind and I had to verify that paint colours matched when he was getting aftermarket bodywork for his VTR1000. The yellow he got was way off from the colour of his bike, but he couldn't tell.

Can't see a darn thing. ???

Once got into an argument as a kid that grass was orange.

What's wrong with you people!! :cursin: :cursin: Can't you see it's orange. :laugh:

bear.png

boat.gif

Color-Adapting-optical-illusion-12.jpg

Color-blind-test-7.jpg

plate 5  with 74.jpg

colorblindtest1.gif

plate 1 with 2.jpg

bear.png

boat.gif

Color-Adapting-optical-illusion-12.jpg

Color-blind-test-7.jpg

colorblindtest1.gif

plate 1 with 2.jpg

plate 5  with 74.jpg

On post #16 I can't make out any of them. :banghead:
On post #17 There are 3 maybe's but I could be wrong.

Tim do you know the answers to the plates you posted. If so, care to share? :whistle: PM me the answers if you don't want to let the cat out of the bag. :laugh:

It really amazes me that we (the people that admit we are colorblind) have so much in common visually.

When grass is at it's greenest it looks orange to me also. I wonder if 2 or 3 colorblind persons that see grass as orange could convince a normal colorvison person it was orange. :rofl:
Brown grass looks Tan to me.

How can a bright green look yellow and grass look orange?

Why is it manufacturers have not figured out to NOT include red and green on the same LED as in when something is charging. It's
supposed to be red when charging and green when charged, right. But it is almost impossible to tell them apart. How are you supposed to compare them
when only one color is on at a time? Usually green is brighter than red (think traffic lights). However I have a vibration speaker where the RED is brighter than the green. :banghead:

I would like to see a lot of greens changed to blue - like the traffic light. It wouldn't hurt the normal vision people (yes you would have to tell them it was going to happen).
If anyone complained I would say "Welcome to our world". :moon: Probably never happen - but then again if we started to teach children that blue also means GO it could work.

Lets make a new organization ACBAM American Color Blind Association for Men. :rofl:

On post #16 I can't make out any of them. :banghead:
On post #17 There are 3 maybe's but I could be wrong.

Tim do you know the answers to the plates you posted. If so, care to share? :whistle: PM me the answers if you don't want to let the cat out of the bag. :laugh:

It really amazes me that we (the people that admit we are colorblind) have so much in common visually.

When grass is at it's greenest it looks orange to me also. I wonder if 2 or 3 colorblind persons that see grass as orange could convince a normal colorvison person it was orange. :rofl:
Brown grass looks Tan to me.

How can a bright green look yellow and grass look orange?

Why is it manufacturers have not figured out to NOT include red and green on the same LED as in when something is charging. It's
supposed to be red when charging and green when charged, right. But it is almost impossible to tell them apart. How are you supposed to compare them
when only one color is on at a time? Usually green is brighter than red (think traffic lights). However I have a vibration speaker where the RED is brighter than the green. :banghead:

I would like to see a lot of greens changed to blue - like the traffic light. It wouldn't hurt the normal vision people (yes you would have to tell them it was going to happen).
If anyone complained I would say "Welcome to our world". :moon: Probably never happen - but then again if we started to teach children that blue also means GO it could work.

Lets make a new organization ACBAM American Color Blind Association for Men. :rofl:

2nd circle from bottom I see a 3,
3rd circle from bottom I see a way out of focus, outline of 21,
4th from bottom I see 56
...all others I see nothing. You?

Some of them change colors and change from light to dark, as they go from my peripheral to direct line of sight.

My mom is partially color blind, my ex-husband is color blind, and both of my boys are color blind. I've watched how it affects loved ones most of my life, and I do worry about my sons the most. My youngest is affected the worst, and I've said for years I wish I knew what he saw...I worry about how it could affect him in the future with career choices. I know it'll limit both boys in some ways and I hate that :(

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Back