clutch fluid replacement

OB_c_rod2000

Registered
i was wondering how dark you should let the fluid get before changing? has anyone changed to synthetic fluid? they dont recommend it so i didnt know. also what is a good replacement fluid, just plain dot 4?

i switched to bel ray silicone dot5 when my busa was brand new it should be perfectly fine but i would recomend braided line for the clutch as well as the brakes the feel is so much better

you can replace immediatly silicone will not hurt it it is the best fluid you can use

Normal brake fluid is hydroscopic - it absorbs (and disperses) moisture, in other words water in a conventional system will gradually contaminate the fluid evenly and will reduce the boiling point slowly enough for you to notice.

Any fluid finding it's way into Silicon fluid will sink (I think sink rather than float cannot remember) causing a concentrated build up of water in your brake system.

Unless you bleed the system regularly with silicon fluid the concentrated build up of water will cause brake failure.

RE dot 5 in Dot 4 system, I thought Dot 5 fluid attacks the rubber seals in systems designed for dot 4 - not good.

Use a good quality Dot 4 synthetic like Castrol RS.

i took my 2k silver/blue in last week and spoke with tech working on my bike. he said that the black is due to the rubber hoses being used? does this make sence as the right side break res. also has rubber hoses?

Look at all the engine heat coming up the clutch line. Will always go dark before the brake resevoir.

I flushed mine at around 4000k's, The cleaner the better! The brake lines, depending on your brake pads don't see as much heat. Some pads have better heat shields than others.

I put Goodridge Kevlar lines on my front brake, and I had a HELL of a time bleeding them.. so becareful if you change the lines, maybe it's me, but this bike was a ***** to bleed.

Why not JC???
dot 5 is silicon based which should be good for rubber. I replaced the clutch fluid with Bel-ray dot 5 and it has worked great. Also is still as purple as the day it went in.

I have to remember I read something a long time ago it was about moisture retention or some thing anyone else remember?
I just remeber stell braided lines DOT5
Rubber lines DOT3-4

Back