Clutch & Brake fluid change?

user

Banned
Hello all, I have a 2008 hayabusa that I bought in 2008 and it now has close to 30,000 Miles on it.

My question is: I have never changed the brake or clutch fluid yet and was wondering how often or when everyone else changes their brake/clutch fluid?

Thanks everyone.

It wont hurt. After a while water can form in the lines.

I dont know when a good time to do it is...I am always changing something
on my bikes and having to drain the lines any way:laugh:

Brake fluid normally hits it's useby date around 2 years I will usually change it at least once inside that time frame normally during a brake pad change.

I did this a few months ago. I did the brakes because I put braided lines on the front. I bled the clutch because the fluid was dark. I noticed a few weeks ago that my clutch fluid is already starting to darken...easily noticeable when compared to the right side (brakes). I wonder if the clutch system is more susceptible to contamination than the brakes?

Thanks everyone,
Is it very hard to drain/change clutch or brake fluid?

Which one is harder?
Is it any harder than flushing/changing radiator fluid????

make sure you use DOT4 Brake fluid. And wipe it off anything it may touch...it will eat paint off.

How much fluid do you need to do a brake and clutch change? Brand new lines and such

How much fluid do you need to do a brake and clutch change? Brand new lines and such

When I upgraded pads and lines (front, rear and clutch), one bottle was more than enough (with plenty leftover)

Change fluid every two years,better off getting a vac pump to do the brakes and clutch,it is very easy to do with this tool.

Hi all, my 2011 has 1500 miles on it and I noticed that the clutch fluid is much darker than the brake fluid. Reading some old posts on here I can see that this has been an ongoing issue. However I don't buy the outcome many on here are subscribing to, that of oil from the slave cylinder getting into the fluid somehow. If this were the case we wouldn't have a closed hydraulic system and the clutch would be mush. Does anyone have another idea as to why the clutch fluid is often darker than the brake fluid? I may accept that the constant engine heat may be doing this but why at ~1500 miles on most.

FYI, left over fluid should be tossed. Many people try to save it but it absorbs moisture from the air over time and is no good. Always toss whats left if its not used 30 days after being opened.

Hi all, my 2011 has 1500 miles on it and I noticed that the clutch fluid is much darker than the brake fluid. Reading some old posts on here I can see that this has been an ongoing issue. However I don't buy the outcome many on here are subscribing to, that of oil from the slave cylinder getting into the fluid somehow. If this were the case we wouldn't have a closed hydraulic system and the clutch would be mush. Does anyone have another idea as to why the clutch fluid is often darker than the brake fluid? I may accept that the constant engine heat may be doing this but why at ~1500 miles on most.[/QUOT

The only 2 ideas I can come up with.... the line gets much more heat then the brake lines and there is less fluid in the clutch side. Less fluid would get dirty faster...

Noticed this a couple weeks ago switching from Galfer DOT 4 to Motul DOT 5.1-the clutch fluid was almost black!!!

Back