Cheapest and best way to paint can of a Brock's Alien Head.

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
I'm not sure what the previous owner was thinking but he plugged the left exhaust and ran a screwed up 4-2-1.5. He had the right idea running just a one sided exhaust to showcase the swingarm but the result is a really small pipe. I'm wanting to keep the shorty look to maintain that long black line that follows through the extended swingarm. Unfortunately, I won't be doing this via Brocks Alien Head ceramic coated. What might you guys do in the case of a person on a budget? I'm heavily leaning towards the chromed alien head and just paint it but then what paint would be best........?

Exhaust.jpg

Left exhaust 2.jpg

Last edited:
I used BBQ paint, you cant get much more budget than that. I used the high heat header paint, but it never really cured and and had a purplish tint to it. mine has been on a month 1000+ miles and no issues

bike 2.jpg

Yes, that is definitely too much restriction for that engine.
As far as the paint goes, wipe the chromed can down with lacquer thinner or acetone
and then go to Wally-Mart and pick up a can of Rustoleum flat black spray paint. Spray that puppy
and be done with it. It clings like a magnet and does NOT discolour..!!
I did my chrome mid-pipes several thousand miles ago and they still look great. :-)

Yes, that is definitely too much restriction for that engine.
As far as the paint goes, wipe the chromed can down with lacquer thinner or acetone
and then go to Wally-Mart and pick up a can of Rustoleum flat black spray paint. Spray that puppy
and be done with it. It clings like a magnet and does NOT discolour..!!
I did my chrome mid-pipes several thousand miles ago and they still look great. :-)

Very good to know. I got this method from a thread Blanca Busa started and I'm using it to paint all chromes/silver parts; however, he uses and recommends Rust-o-leum Satin Black. Would there be a different reaction to heat in the different types of paint, satin vs flat black? Also, what about a cheap clear spray. Has anyone used any of the clears from Rust-o-leum?

Ahhhhh.......ye old Blanca Busa rustoleum method :)
The satin will take the heat just as good as the flat will.
I like the satin because it has a low low sheen on it which looks nice. The flat is just that , flat .
As far as the clear goes I would say no.
Eventually the clear will yellow from the heat and most likely peel or crack off. Then it will have to be redone.
Just a few nice slow coats of the satin should make it look nice . Take your time , don't hurry and let each coat set for about thirty minutes before doing the next one.
For a muffler probably three to four coats should be good .
I've never painted anything on a bike that gets hot with it but have used it on many guns where the painted part is close to a smoking hot barrel and it held fine .
Key is also to let it cure for as long as you can before 'using' the part.
If you can let it set for a week or so it will be strong and hard.

What the heck was the previous owner thinking... :eek:

Post some more pics, that thing looks rough... :(

Ahhhhh.......ye old Blanca Busa rustoleum method :)
The satin will take the heat just as good as the flat will.
I like the satin because it has a low low sheen on it which looks nice. The flat is just that , flat .
As far as the clear goes I would say no.
Eventually the clear will yellow from the heat and most likely peel or crack off. Then it will have to be redone.
Just a few nice slow coats of the satin should make it look nice . Take your time , don't hurry and let each coat set for about thirty minutes before doing the next one.
For a muffler probably three to four coats should be good .
I've never painted anything on a bike that gets hot with it but have used it on many guns where the painted part is close to a smoking hot barrel and it held fine .
Key is also to let it cure for as long as you can before 'using' the part.
If you can let it set for a week or so it will be strong and hard.

There it is. I'm in the market for a Brock's AH. Thanks for the nudge guys. When I get it painted and installed I'll post back here with some pics.

What the heck was the previous owner thinking... :eek:

Post some more pics, that thing looks rough... :(

Ohh I've got some pics. I just need the time to organize them. I feel bad but I'm gonna title the thread POS with all the crap I'm undoing and replacing.

Back