Cheap chain

Not all 530 chains are the same. I'd atleast would want to know the brand of the chain I'm buying. Some are high strength, some are not. Try and find a 530 chain with atleast 9700 tensil strength or higher.

Ok I would suggest not going cheap on this. Reason? Do a search on snapped chains. It can really fubar up your engine block cost you not only a lot of down time,and $$ to boot. All the power of your bike goes through that chain. Really want to play the odds of losing your engine case and what ever else the chain destroys to save a few $$?

Try hitting up a sponsor or two. They can often give you a great price.

Good Luck!

Lets say you get chain for half price... how much are you going to save?

is it worth the possibility that chain will break? ($200-$1500 in damage)
is it worth the probably shorter life of the cheaper chain.. (have to replace it more often)
is it worth having to worry about either of the above?

Spend the extra few bucks and buy a good chain and have it riveted in place and enjoy your bike.. :)

Personally, I wouldn't go cheap on a chain. I don't get to ride as often as I like but I sure as heck don't want to worry about the chain when I do get a chance to ride.

Lets say you get chain for half price... how much are you going to save?

is it worth the possibility that chain will break? ($200-$1500 in damage)
is it worth the probably shorter life of the cheaper chain.. (have to replace it more often)
is it worth having to worry about either of the above?

Spend the extra few bucks and buy a good chain and have it riveted in place and enjoy your bike.. :)

I totally agree.
There is a reason a cheaper chain is cheaper.
It does not have the tensile strength of a better chain.
I also agree 9,700 to 10,000 pounds of tensile strength is minimum.
You could snap a cheap one the first time out!

Seems like I jumped too soon.
Oh well, I'll bite the financial (read: enormous) bullet and get a good one.

Get the best chain you can afford. Go for the top brand and find the best price.

dont get a cheap chain. you may pay dearly later if you do. just save a little longer as i did and get one of the best. EK ZZZ, great choice. call one of the board sponcers, they can help ya out. :)

I agree, don't buy a cheap one buy the best one, and if you can't afford a top-notch chain, then save up until you can afford it. Chains are really important components. I recommend not buying a used chain either if that thought popped in your head.

Last edited:
Back