Chatterbox MOD!!

hbrown93

Registered
I have the Chatterbox GMRSX1 w/bluetooth and just did a mod to my helmet and two friends helmets and it came out Great. First of all, one of the only problems I have had with the unit I have is the size. Mounting it the way it comes leave it sitting low on the left side of the helmet and when I turn my head to the left, sometimes it would rub against my jacket so after seeing a friend do this MOD I decided to try it myself. First of all you have to cut off the bottom part of the bracket leaving just the slide of the bracket where the unit slides on to. Then you drill 3 small holes (about 6/32") in the bracket making sure to put the rubber backing on so the holes are drilled through that as well. Then position it onto the helmet and drill 1 of the holes through the helmet, either removing the inner lining of the helmet or taking care to pull it away enough so you won't drill through the protection portion of the helmet. After drilling the first hole, take a small bolt w/nut and fasten it down. After tightening and positioning it where desired for the right angle, drill the other two holes and fasten down. Here are a couple pictures after I finished the three helmets..

0320001828.jpg

0321000914.jpg

0320001828.jpg

0321000914.jpg

Ok, I was with you until I saw the Arby's star on the last helmet. :rofl:

Seriously though, awesome job. :beerchug:

I had the older model and hated the wind noise... I ended up mounting the unit on the bike and extending the cord up to my helmet.

I've since ditched it but have put speakers all my helmets since then for my media player.

Mount the thing to the bike and just run an extension to the helmet speakers. You have to run a cord for the push to talk anyway. Let the bike do the carrying.
What next, here is how I wear my backpack. :beerchug:

Mount the thing to the bike and just run an extension to the helmet speakers. You have to run a cord for the push to talk anyway. Let the bike do the carrying.
What next, here is how I wear my backpack. :beerchug:

LOL! Good one Lamb! Have a great 4th of July weekend!

Good on you that you found a way to make it work. Although, like others I could not deal with the wind noise above 80 MPH and switched it out for the StarCom Advance and have not looked back since.

Drilling holes in helmets is not advised.

What Lamb said, also.

--Wag--

some mods are better left untold as for the criticism/flaming that is bound to follow.. :poke:

I for one do not tell all.. :whistle:

He was right He did drill holes in the helmet

Sir throw those helmets away. :(

Last edited:
Back