Changing the oil pan

BigBadBusa08

Registered
I bought a slightly used but practically new oil pan for my 08 off eBay cuz i stripped the threads on the inside of where the drain plug goes. My question is, are their gonna be any speedbumps when i take the old one off or is it pretty much take off old, put on new, fill with oil? I just dont want to get the old pan off and find myself knee deep in trouble and have a ruined bike.

Got a new gasket and a torque wrench?
Some may say you can use the old gasket, but why chance it leaking and have to tear it down again?

Now, my next question is, the manual points out 3 components, the breath pipe, oil strainer and pressure regulator. I dont need to remove these because im just changing the pan. My concern is, since the bike will be on stands, are these pieces secured inside or will gravity take over and they will fall once the pan is off?

No to hard to do. The worst part is the stock headers, if you have a full after market it is much easier since you can break the pieces down. The only part that really got frustrating was scrapping the old gasket off make sure it is completely smooth before putting the new one on.

This seems to happen alot, Seems to me that pan should have been made of something stronger.

start from the exhaust and work your way forward. that was my mistake when i did this several months ago. i tried to be slick and avoid it but you can't get to all 16 bolts with the pipes intact. i hand tightened all screws in the pan like i would lugs on a wheel trying to go opposite of the previous to allow a good seat for the gasket, then torqued them to spec. the old gasket was sufficient but i put the new one on just for re assurance. place a towel on the front fender backside and pull the bolt hanger on the radiator in front so it will pitch forward to give you ample room for the header removal. not too bad of a job just tedious as all hell. :beerchug:

Thanks for all the advice. I took the plunge today and while i was at it i put on my new Vance and Hines performance headers, sorry no pics. They are obnoxiously loud, like weird old harley guy loud. The oil pans swap was quite painless, like someone said, the headers were a pain in the @$$. Ummm, funny thing when i got the old pan off, i had bought some high heat anti oil degenerating liquid gasket and was wiping things off, there was no gasket on either the old pan or the underside of the engin

Back