Chain and gear size selection how to?

stangman327

Registered
Could someone please explain to me what's the meaning with all the numbers? I don't know what the difference is between a 520 or a 530 chain?

I'll assume that the "114" is how many links are in the chain?

For every inch you extend your swing arm how do you calculate how longer of a chain to get?

Gearing 17/40, 18/43, I'll assume that's how many teeth are in the front/rear gears?

How do you determine how to select if you want to go "up" in gear for a harder launch or go "down" in gear for better fuel economy?

In my mustangs it was fairly simple, you either went with 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 for gear selections.

Thanks.

Just as a car front sprocket is considered the pinion and rear sprocket is considered the ring.
I am running a 46R 18F so that equals a 2.55 gear ratio stock was a 43 18 = 2.39
Most riders change the rear sprocket due to the simplicity compared to the front. an increased of rear teeth on the sprocket will give quicker performance and opposite is decreasing the teeth on the rear sprocket will result in a faster top speed (depending on HP limits)
They say changing the front sprocket is a ratio of 1:3 to the rear. There is a chart some where explaining the swingarm length and how many extra teeth you will need when extending the swingarm.
You can increase the rear sprocket up to 3 on an OEM chain for the GENII

530 is the width and stock size on the Busa and large cc bikes. 520 is smaller, lighter weight, and not as strong, and not adviseable to run on the busa.
Gearing is a preference.
Going up teeth on the rear gives you the feel of more bottom to midrange power. Going down on the rear is of course the opposite.
Rough example, stock gen2 busa has 18/43 gearing. It has a restricted top end of 186mph and about 197mph with the restrictions off(this is also what the gearing is capable of, rider, weight, weather, and distance to acheive this all must be factored in). You need to change to 18/42 or 18/41 gearing to pass 200mph. If you continue going down on the rear you will run out of power(stock) to acheive the speed the gearing would allow.
Switching from the stock 190/50/17 rear tire to a 190/55/17 tire(it's taller) would be the equivalent of going down 1 or 2 teeth on the rear.
If you add teeth to the rear and can accelerate quicker, you will still lose mph in every gear.
Unless you want the fastest top speed possible you won't notice the top end lost. A top speed in the mid 170's is possible with a +3 rear.

To front sprockets.
This is where alot of folks get confused.
There is an old assumption that -1 on the front = +3 on the rear. Not true!
Even though the overall gear ratios are similiar on paper, the real world feel is much different.
By going up on the rear you are turning the rear wheel quicker than before, until you run out of rpm(why you lose mph). You have the same available torque from the engine doing this.
If you subtract teeth on the front you are not able to utilize the same amount of torque as effectively.
So the engine is revving higher to accomplish the same as before.
Consider having a 2 gear system to raise a bucket from a well, the principle is the same. The smaller you make the gear on the crank the more times you must turn it to make the second gear go around the same number of times.
Again, you are limited by the engine's rev limit, as it stays the same(unless you raise and build the engine accordingly).

If you've ever ridden a 1000, stock gearing they are a great comparison to a Busa with a -1 front sprocket.
They rev faster and noticebly have less torque.
A busa with a +3 rear will feel as if it has gained torque and raise the front end easier with the same amount of throttle.
A +3 rear also shortens your wheelbase by over an inch(depends on your weight and where your chain slack must be adjusted accordingly).
A shorter wheelbase also makes wheelies easier, as well as the bike's ability to be a little quicker through a turn.
Going up on the rear is great for hard street riding, but not ideal for dragracing a stock wheelbase bike.
I have also changed many gear ratios on alot of dirt and sport bikes over the years. These are my real world experiences. I am not spouting facts I read on gearing commander or any other website.
FYI, if you do use gearing commander, remember that those are numbers of what a gear ratio may be capable of.
How high the engine can rev, where in that range it's making peak power, along with rider and conditions all must be considered.

What would you like to do with your bike? That's the best way to know what gearing would best benefit you.

Back