Ceramic Bearings?

Busa3Bro

Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone put ceramic bearings on, if so, how do you like them and do you notice anything different like less friction. Does it roll better?

I put a set in an '18 Gsxr1k a couple months ago.
The front wheel felt like it spun the same, the rear wheel did spin easier, but after putting the calipers on, with normal brake drag, the wheels spin the same, not suprising.
Even if it pushed easier, which some bikes seem to, you'll never feel it riding it.
Best case, maybe you gain the claimed tenth in the quarter.
The '18 1k has a stock 55 rear tire, and my 03 Gsxr1k next to it has a stock 50 series rear tire, and is lowered 2" in the rear(that way when I got it, and will be putting back stock).
The '18 is about 25 lbs lighter, yet feels pig heavy pushing it around compared to the '03...as the '18 has a little more weight on the front.
So, the point being, individual bike and setup, and the noticeable effort needed to push them, can vary some.
Both feel very light as soon as they start moving.
I think the ceramic bearings are on the mod list for when you're out for every ounce of power that you can get, and let all the little things add up, but to just do by themselves, nah, they are around $400, plus install if you can't do them.
You could spend that on several other parts that you Would notice improvements with.

I think the ceramic bearings are on the mod list for when you're out for every ounce of power that you can get, and let all the little things add up, but to just do by themselves, nah, they are around $400, plus install if you can't do them.
You could spend that on several other parts that you Would notice improvements with.
+1
... like a dyno for that $

+1
... like a dyno for that $

Me too
I wonder just how hard it would be to measure?
A sticky tire or hot day can suck the power they claim to free up, but, if it was back to back and averaged.
Chris Moore, who dyno'd this '18 at 187whp, and claimed 10 more whp by adding the ceramic wheel and transmission bearings.
That seems like alot to me, but I won't argue with him.
I also swapped to an EK3D 520mm chain and aluminum rear sprocket, taking out over 2 lbs of rotating mass.
Could I feel that? No, but I would think that would be measurable.
And I would guess a hp or 2.
10+whp for all of that sounds nice, but seems like alot to me

some of the extra friction removed when switching to ceramic bearing is not running the bearing seals. if you watch some of the install videos you will see they don’t put those back in. the seals rub on the spacers to keep debris away from the bearings. i installed some on my busa and can feel the difference when i walk my bike up the drive way. i can walk it up hill while straddling it. before i had to try and lean forward to walk it up. the pic added shows the seal im talking about.

IMG_0220.jpeg

If you’re ordering new wheels (like core motos or BSTs) they can’t hurt. In stock wheels on a stock bike you won’t notice the difference. I have them in more core motos and the bike rolls easier and the wheels spin easier, but I also have no rear brake and a single front brake with spring clips that help pull the pads off of the rotors. The bike is faster, but I also removed a bunch of rolling mass with the wheels as well as about 20lbs of sprung weight throughout the bike.

some of the extra friction removed when switching to ceramic bearing is not running the bearing seals. if you watch some of the install videos you will see they don’t put those back in. the seals rub on the spacers to keep debris away from the bearings.

A lot of people never catch on to this.

some of the extra friction removed when switching to ceramic bearing is not running the bearing seals. if you watch some of the install videos you will see they don’t put those back in. the seals rub on the spacers to keep debris away from the bearings.

A lot of people never catch on to this.

some of the extra friction removed when switching to ceramic bearing is not running the bearing seals. if you watch some of the install videos you will see they don’t put those back in. the seals rub on the spacers to keep debris away from the bearings. i installed some on my busa and can feel the difference when i walk my bike up the drive way. i can walk it up hill while straddling it. before i had to try and lean forward to walk it up. the pic added shows the seal im talking about.

View attachment 1669058

Yeah, ok for a drag bike, but those seals help keep dirt and moisture out on a street ridden bike.

on brock’s video he says the wwb ceramics are completely sealed so you can get away with not using them. he said just avoid hitting them with a power washer or harsh solvents

Brock also shows you how to beat them in with a hammer...
I just installed ceramic WorldWide bearings.
Are they completely sealed? Yes?
Is it a Waterproof seal?
lol...No, it is not.
To each their own, but if you street ride ceramic bearings without seals, and in the rain...they aren't lasting.

I put a set in an '18 Gsxr1k a couple months ago.
The front wheel felt like it spun the same, the rear wheel did spin easier, but after putting the calipers on, with normal brake drag, the wheels spin the same, not suprising.
Even if it pushed easier, which some bikes seem to, you'll never feel it riding it.
Best case, maybe you gain the claimed tenth in the quarter.
The '18 1k has a stock 55 rear tire, and my 03 Gsxr1k next to it has a stock 50 series rear tire, and is lowered 2" in the rear(that way when I got it, and will be putting back stock).
The '18 is about 25 lbs lighter, yet feels pig heavy pushing it around compared to the '03...as the '18 has a little more weight on the front.
So, the point being, individual bike and setup, and the noticeable effort needed to push them, can vary some.
Both feel very light as soon as they start moving.
For $400, we can buy one of those tiny bottle dry nitrous systems. :p

Ok, so I Had to come back to this.
Years ago I pushed a 1k with ceramic wheel bearings around, and the bike did feel light.
But, that could be caused by many things, mainly, suspension set up.
So, chalk it as a maybe.
I also have now put several hundred miles on the '18 1k, since putting in the ceramic wheel bearings.
I move it and my '03 1k around in my basement regulary.
As I said above, my '03 feels lighter than the '18 pushing them around, as well as on and off of my bike lift.
I move both bikes about with ease.
Well, 10 minutes ago I pulled my '03 off the lift and put the '18 on it(I'm going to set the suspension sag with the Motool Slacker).
The '03 came off easily as always.
The '18 stays on the Bursig stand, so I rolled it 15' or so out of the way, moved the '03, then pushed the '18 towards the lift...I thought it felt like a bicycle.
I stopped, moved it back and forth...several times, and then up on the lift...it doesn't even feel like the same motorcycle.
The bearings have apparently broken in.
Keep in mind that I just came down with the intention of moving the same 2 bikes around for the hundredth time.
In my head the ceramic bearings had made no difference...and I wasn't even thinking about them either, at all.
This caught me off guard...my mind is in disbelife right now.
I have checked the bike over and all seems fine.
I've made no suspension adjustments yet either.
Mind blown

Last edited:
Ok, so I Had to come back to this.
Years ago I pushed a 1k with ceramic wheel bearings around, and the bike did feel light.
But, that could be caused by many things, mainly, suspension set up.
So, chalk it as a maybe.
I also have now put several hundred miles on the '18 1k, since putting in the ceramic wheel bearings.
I move it and my '03 1k around in my basement regulary.
As I said above, my '03 feels lighter than the '18 pushing them around, as well as on and off of my bike lift.
I move both bikes about with ease.
Well, 10 minutes ago I pulled my '03 off the lift and put the '18 on it(I'm going to set the suspension sag with the Motool Slacker).
The '03 came off easily as always.
The '18 stays on the Bursig stand, so I rolled it 15' or so out of the way, moved the '03, then pushed the '18 towards the lift...I thought it felt like a bicycle.
I stopped, moved it back and forth...several times, and then up on the lift...it doesn't even feel like the same motorcycle.
The bearings have apparently broken in.
Keep in mind that I just came down with the intention of moving the same 2 bikes around for the hundredth time.
In my head the ceramic bearings had made no difference...and I wasn't even thinking about them either, at all.
This caught me off guard...my mind is in disbelife right now.
I have checked the bike over and all seems fine.
I've made no suspension adjustments yet either.
Mind blown
I'm Definitely getting them. thank you for the input.

Back