CBR 1000 key stuck in ignition

Mythos

Registered
I searched a thread for a busa with stuck key and steering locked and the cure was to move the steering as much as possible to the left or try turning it left/right. Also possible lube in the ignition. Any other suggestions you can think of? Someone suggested a slide hammer but that would be the last resort, I'm sure.

My friend said some one else forced the key into the ignition and now the key won't come out and it won't turn. The steering is locked. I don't think the bike has been ridden in a very long time. Is it possible that the key would only go in one way (like door lock with teeth on one side only) and it was forced in the other way?

You could try and lube the key and lock then working the key slowly with a bit of finger force...if it has been sitting the tumblers are probably stuck....

I've seen this before and after lubing the key with penetrating oil, giving it some very light whacks with a hammer then letting it sit for an hour or so they got it out by using the technique you described...moving the bars slightly and wiggling the key. You could also use vice grips with something in their jaws to protect the key and wiggle the key slightly.

@Mythos

i guess there would be no other option than to replace the entire lock

but it will be a very fiddly job (i had that last spring)

even the cockpit / speedo bracket must be removed .

only then, if I remember correctly, you can reach the two torx screws, T27 or T30, of the lock
plus a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet with a very long extension about 12"-14" long.

if unscrewing the lock does not work, I think, all that remains is the very big effort by completely removing the fork in order to be able to pull the lower fork bridge / yoke and thus free the upper (with the lock) one.

i heard rumors that the lock can then be dismantled - there are supposed to be two by plastcs hidden screws that should make this possible.
then you could possibly knock out the key with a very fine chisel.

good luck

Thanks gents. I will let my buddy know your advice. It sounds doable and it also sounds doubtful that the ignition key is one of those with teeth on one side only. This bike is an 06 and I'm sure if there ever were bikes with single edged keys, that was decades ago.

We can remove the instruments if necessary. I've removed forks. It's a lot of work just to get a key out but if all else fails, that's what has to be done.

Thanks gents. I will let my buddy know your advice. It sounds doable and it also sounds doubtful that the ignition key is one of those with teeth on one side only. This bike is an 06 and I'm sure if there ever were bikes with single edged keys, that was decades ago.

We can remove the instruments if necessary. I've removed forks. It's a lot of work just to get a key out but if all else fails, that's what has to be done.
That key is definitely double sided sounds to me like the tumblers are just stuck, but it with some pb blaster and let it soak in then keep wiggling the key til out comes out.

That key is definitely double sided sounds to me like the tumblers are just stuck, but it with some pb blaster and let it soak in then keep wiggling the key til out comes out.
I googled PB BLaster and looks like a penetrating oil. I'll let 'em know. I'd rather not put oil down the ignition because there's electrical stuff in there but if it doesn't get oiled, it will probably happen again. If the ignition is damaged, oh well, get a new one.

I googled PB BLaster and looks like a penetrating oil. I'll let 'em know. I'd rather not put oil down the ignition because there's electrical stuff in there but if it doesn't get oiled, it will probably happen again. If the ignition is damaged, oh well, get a new one.
I spray a bit of PB in my ignition barrel from time to time-the key is not to over-saturate it.

over-saturate an ign.-lock?

don´t worry - the "over" will drop out at its holes at its buttom
what then greases all below not necessary but it will - grin

except the oil reaches the exhaust pipes - then you, stopping at a red light e.g. , get in a little fog and a bit bad smell - grin

sorry for poosibly disappointing you
but even the very best penetrating oil can´t loosen a mechanically severely jammed key like yours seemingly is.

best was, i would say, to think about a new set (ign, tank & tail) of locks.
here with us you can get it in good condition for relatively cheap money

and with a short view to ebay.com
at hayabusa lock set | eBay ... ;)

good luck :)

but even the very best penetrating oil can´t loosen a mechanically severely jammed key like yours seemingly is.

Brother Frank, I'd say his friend needs to give the PB Blaster a try before buying a new set...if the bike has sat out or ridden in the rain, sometimes the inner barrel seizes up...been there, got that tee shirt.

A bit of penetrating oil and wiggling loosened it right up. I even use this on my house door locks.

Thanks, Frank. Different bike again though. This is for an 2006 CBR 1000. I'm sure they can pick up new locks for that on Ebay too if they need to.

@Mythos

man?
what the damn f u cking heck ?
... Different bike again though. This is for an 2006 CBR 1000. ...
if I had known that, I could have saved myself all the writing (here in this thread)

the same crap with your questions as about the kawa a few days ago

man, when will you finally start writing in your technical questions about which motorcycle it is?

it's really to get fu c king crazy, damn
and makes me really mad :(

@Mythos

man?
what the damn f u cking heck ?

if I had known that, I could have saved myself all the writing (here in this thread)

the same crap with your questions as about the kawa a few days ago

man, when will you finally start writing in your technical questions about which motorcycle it is?

it's really to get fu c king crazy, damn
and makes me really mad :(
Frank,

It's in the thread title......

Sorry Frank,

CBR 1000 key stuck in ignition​

is the title of the thread and this is the General Bike Related Topics section. I'd say your input applies to a CBR as well as most any bike. Thank you. You should see the crap my buddy came up with when he searched a CBR forum. It was just a bunch of people making fun of the person who posted the thread.

Last edited:
Sorry Frank,

CBR 1000 ket stuck in ignition​

I misspelled "key" but it is the title of the thread and this is the General Bike Related Topics section. I'd say your input applies to a CBR as well as most any bike. Thank you. You should see the crap my buddy came up with when he searched a CBR forum. It was just a bunch of people making fun of the person who posted the thread.
You spelled it right in the thread title...

You spelled it right in the thread title...

OH SH!T!!!!!! I better go edit that mistaken not mistaken thread title quick or someone may destroy their ket!!!

:thumbsup: now you better edit yours too so the information is correct.

What if someone accidentally jams their ket in the ignition and is misinformed as to how they might dislodge it?

Urban Dictionary:

"
Ket is a drug thats snorted and induces a trance-like state while providing pain relief, sedation, and memory loss.
Especially when she hears me tell her that you're doing KET"

Last edited:
Back