Looks like i'm in a bind

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Tried to get the lock on the gas tank to turn. No dice. Put in some lube, still won't turn.

Key's supposed to turn all the way to the 3 o'clock position...right now, it's stuck on the 1:30 position. I've tried jigglin it, nada. Tried forcing it, bent the key. Whoops. Won't do that again.

I wanna drill through the damn thing. If shavings get inside, that's alright. I'm gonna blow it out with the compressor. But before I take that drastic measure, what else can I possibly do?

TIA!

Thanks, Sarge...
wink.gif
I got me a gas cap, but dang if it doesn't blow nuts. Not the gas cap, the situation.

I spent damn near two hours jigglin that piece o' crud. No dice. I'm gettin real tempted to break out the drill and lay waste to the sucker.

Lubricating it would be the only thing I can think of but that didn't work for you. Good luck man.

It happened to me once...What i did was loosen or take out all the screws holding the lock/cap assembly on....Then try and turn key and if it was like mine....took some jiggling and came off...the lock was all gum'd up so a can of brake cleaner later worked like new

It happened to me once...What i did was loosen or take out all the screws holding the lock/cap assembly on....Then try and turn key and if it was like mine....took some jiggling and came off...the lock was all gum'd up so a can of brake cleaner later worked like new
Pac - I'm thinking that might help - does KMart carry any lock break or break free specifically? Unfortunately, it may not be the key hole that needs to be lubed, it might be the lock itself try to drip lube all around the cap maybe some will get to the lock lugs. Worst comes to worst..... don't you know any lock smiths?

I took out the screws, but it's still not working. Looks like that brake cleaner may be the ticket.

Pac - I'm thinking that might help - does KMart carry any lock break or break free specifically?  Unfortunately, it may not be the key hole that needs to be lubed, it might be the lock itself try to drip lube all around the cap maybe some will get to the lock lugs.  Worst comes to worst..... don't you know any lock smiths?
Lock break? I dunno. I don't think so. I'm sure NAPA or one of the auto stores should have. If worse comes to worse, I can check Ace Hardware.

I know a locksmith, but the problem is gettin the damn thing to turn.

If you look at the bottom of your gas cap, you'll see a hook on one end, and moving lock on the other. If you take out the screws, the moving lock comes out (be careful not to lose the spring) and you'll spy a drum with two teeth on it.

It's that damn drum that turns the moving lock. Either that thing got gunked up or there's some oxidation on the gas tank lip that's holding it.

I'm eyein that drum as the main culprit here. ANd I'm gettin pissed with it.
mad.gif

Time to break out that BMFH and whack a few things loose.

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you drill it out? Thought you could remove the whole thing by taking out the Allen bolts. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you drill it out?  Thought you could remove the whole thing by taking out the Allen bolts.  Am I wrong in thinking this?
well, if you can get the gas cap to come up, then yeah, you can remove it by loosening the allen bolts surrounding it.

MY problem is that the gas cap WON'T come up. So I can't remove it.

And it's TICKIN ME OFF. I could muscle it, but that won't do any good. I'd just break the key off in the lock and then I'm REALLY s-o-l.

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you drill it out?  Thought you could remove the whole thing by taking out the Allen bolts.  Am I wrong in thinking this?
well, if you can get the gas cap to come up, then yeah, you can remove it by loosening the allen bolts surrounding it.

MY problem is that the gas cap WON'T come up. So I can't remove it.

And it's TICKIN ME OFF. I could muscle it, but that won't do any good. I'd just break the key off in the lock and then I'm REALLY s-o-l.
Ahh. Sorry. I'm a little slow sometimes. I think its the meds.

Could try a little heat, just not sure how good that would be for the tank or paint.
rock.gif

I understand the darn thing not wanting to let go even with the allen screws out. Is there anyway to slide something in, even from the sides to release the latch?

Picture_970.jpg

Could try a little heat, just not sure how good that would be for the tank or paint.
rock.gif
Heat? Hrmm...that sounds like a plan.

I have a blow torch at home.....mebbe I could just concentrate it on the key hole, huh?

Man...I sure hope that there ain't anything flammable left in the gas tank. That would be a most interesting sight.

"hey guys...watch this!"

I understand the darn thing not wanting to let go even with the allen screws out. Is there anyway to slide something in, even from the sides to release the latch?
It is possible, but the cover fits into a hole on the g-tank. I could cut the rubber gasket so I can push it in more, but if I try and slide something in, I risk damaging the hole.

Then I'd really be fugged. Interesting idea, though. Hell, it's worth a shot.

Liquid Wrench. Shoot a bit around the edge, let it soak a while then push down on the cap as you turn the key. If that doesn't get it, bang your fist, or a rubber mallet down on the cap to try and break it free.

Liquid wrench? Can't say I've heard of it.

Some lube around the rim of the hole, eh? That's an idea I haven't tried. Thanks, WD.

More lubrcation and use a heatgun not blow torch.
if not ...
Call locksmith... For 50 bucks you could save your tank and cap.

Back