**CAUTION** GoPro 3M mounts

I used one on the knee board with the provided stick on without any issues...but I figured the whole time I was going to lose it~!~

I even tied eye glass floaties to it :laugh:

Yea, that's what I'm gonna do when I put it on the wakeboard. I'm gonna get a surf mount for that too, but just in case I'm going to attach some flotation to it. Probably 1 or 2 of the ones you can get for the boat keys.

So I guess this is what I get when I don't read the instructions. . . In the "mounting tips" pamphlet it says to let the adhesive set for at least 12 hours before using in the cold. . . Maybe next time I should read first. :laugh:

Ya I was going to say...I remember reading somewhere that you have to let it set for a bit if planning on taking it out in the cold (not an issue here in HI :whistle:).

Idk how you guys do it. I just got my GoPro HD and I am terrified just mounting the suction cup to the bike (not brave enough to stick anything permanent on there yet)...I mount it in front of me so I can see if it's coming off...and MAYBE make a grab if I have time :p

Ya I was going to say...I remember reading somewhere that you have to let it set for a bit if planning on taking it out in the cold (not an issue here in HI :whistle:).

Idk how you guys do it. I just got my GoPro HD and I am terrified just mounting the suction cup to the bike (not brave enough to stick anything permanent on there yet)...I mount it in front of me so I can see if it's coming off...and MAYBE make a grab if I have time :p

Well if you'll recall their slogan. . . "It's a GoPro. . . Go for it!" The first video I ever took with it was on the car. I mounted it to the front bumper and went through some mountain roads near here. My thought was, "Well heck, if they can use this suction cup on an F1 car, then why they heck should I be worried about putting it on my car on a public road going less than 70mph? Especially when the thing is rated at 200+ mph." Besides, if it comes off going down the road just buy a new case for it and get back to it.

Haha true true...but the idea of a suction cup holding a $300 camera is sketchy at first (must have been all the times I shot siblings w/ suction cup darts and they didn't stick :p)

It's held like a champ so far, just stuck to the bottom of a the windscreen...I haven't been going for any speed records or anything but so far so good.

I love that vid, nice angle... I tied some contractors string to mine regardless of where I mount it, use like a leash.

My prob is I cant seem to upload any footage yet. I bought a 8 gig card from Walmart. It's a PNY brand, only cost $22 maybe thats the problem? I read at Pashnit you should format it first. How do you format the card?

Last edited:
I love that vid, nice angle... I tied some contractors string to mine regardless of where I mount it, use like a leash.

My prob is I cant seem to upload any footage yet. I bought a 8 gig card from Walmart. It's a PNY brand, only cost $22 maybe thats the problem? I read at Pashnit you should format it first. How do you format the card?

Well if you got it at the store it's probably not gonna work. The only ones I found in the store that were compatible were 2G. It has to be a class 4 card. I just ordered my card from walmart.com. I got the same 16G card that's shown on GoPro's site. And format just means delete everything. If you're trying to play it in windows media, good luck. It's an MP4 file so it has to be quicktime or something else that supports MP4. I know skydiver is using windows 7 without any issues, but xp and vista are apparently much more difficult to work with if you're gonna try to do any editing.

Last edited:
Haha true true...but the idea of a suction cup holding a $300 camera is sketchy at first (must have been all the times I shot siblings w/ suction cup darts and they didn't stick :p)

It's held like a champ so far, just stuck to the bottom of a the windscreen...I haven't been going for any speed records or anything but so far so good.

Yea, I wouldn't trust one those darts with it! :laugh: But that "industrial strength" suction cup with the little anchor lever makes me pretty trusting. Without the lever deal I wouldn't trust it either, but once you flip that thing up it's solid.

Well if you got it at the store it's probably not gonna work. The only ones I found in the store that were compatible were 2G. It has to be a class 4 card. I just ordered my card from walmart.com. I got the same 16G card that's shown on GoPro's site. And format just means delete everything. If you're trying to play it in windows media, good luck. It's an MP4 file so it has to be quicktime or something else that supports MP4. I know skydiver is using windows 7 without any issues, but xp and vista are apparently much more difficult to work with if you're gonna try to do any editing.

Actually, if this is a regular GoPro Hero (NOT the HD Model), the default card size was 2GB (would not work with anything larger). Then, GoPro came out with a hardware update (you have to download and install a file from their website) that takes it up to a 4GB max. The HD will work all the way up to 32GB. Hope this helps.

Ok so I was able to download a Converter software and it seems to be working. I am uploading the vid now then will edit ... keeping fingers crossed... :whistle:

Video Quality was EXCELLENT

That is 3M VHB tape that they use. It's really just about Superglue in a tape form, and it's about the best stuff there is, but 3 hours was not enough. You've got to give it 24 hours to "set" to make sure you get the best adhesion.....and both it and the board all need to be at room temp or higher for the entire 24 hrs...

yup warmer is better you may want to try heating up the board with a hairdryer on low (in the area you plan on sticking the tape to not the whole board) and then making sure the tape is warmed up some too this will help the adhesion process and speed it up a little.

yup warmer is better you may want to try heating up the board with a hairdryer on low (in the area you plan on sticking the tape to not the whole board) and then making sure the tape is warmed up some too this will help the adhesion process and speed it up a little.

+1 must be at least room temp. Over 80 is better...

Heard back from GoPro today. Here's what they said. . .

"Hi,
While the 3M adhesive is indeed the strongest double sided tape that 3M makes, unfortunately it does not work with snowboards or skis. The combination of the cold and the flexing of the board can cause the adhesive to lose hold of the board. While the Surf HERO Base plate would have more surface area, it could still have the same problems. Unfortunately, there is no way to attach the camera to the board without using some sort of screw or epoxy. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Now my guess would be that the surf mount would do fine if given sufficient time to cure. I imagine that although the cold and flexing COULD make it come off, that reply was most likely more geared toward keeping them from having to replace it if I lost it due to the mount failing again. I think next time I'll give it plenty of time to cure and attach some sort of leash to it and see how it does.

Back