Carpal Turnnel

GNBRETT

Registered
well, about 6 months ago I feel down a flight of stairs at work after slipping in some animals urine in one of our disqusting housing project stairwells and broke my right finger, tore my left rotator cuff muscle in my left shoulder and hyperextended my left wrist. not a good night.:banghead:

so, I knew I would have to have my shoulder repaired cause I had an MRI that confirmed a tear. but the last couple months I have noticed that I am losing feeling in my left thumb, index finger and middle finger. at times it feels like electricity is running thru my fingers if I twist it at a certain angle. when I sleep at night my entire hand goes to sleep and wakes me up in the middle of the night. most of the discomfort is in my thumb. feels like pins and needles.

so I went back to see the orthopedic surgeon last week and explained to him that the sensation in my fingers was getting worse. I assumed the entire time that it was a result of my shoulder injury but he states that I have classic symptoms of carpal tunnel impingment.

I said that im right handed and dont even type with my left hand so how could that be? he said its definately is not coming from the rotator cuff shoulder area. I have no issues coming from my neck right now either which I guess can cause similar symptoms.

he asked if I had any injuries to my wrist. I stated that I bent it back when I tore my rotator cuff but thought nothing of it cause I didnt break anything. he says that is likely why im having problems now and scheduled a nerve conduction test.

anyone here have carpal tunnel issues? if so, what have you done to address it? if you had surgery how long was the recovery?

Surgery. Both wrists did one winter 08 other winter 09.

6 weeks recovery, but I pour concrete so time maybe different

what restriction did u hve after 6 weeks or were u fully recovered? did you have it done endoscopically? otherwise I have heard it leaves quite a nasty scar on ur hand that can take quite a while for the scar tissue to heal.
Carpal Tunnel Release (ECTR) - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have problems now but have not addressed it. Doc says he wants to cut but I use my hand to draw and I'm not too cool about letting them cut on it.

yea I have the same concerns about cutting that tendon that runs accross and what impact it will have on my hand strength. but man this is becomming an every day every hour problem so I dont know.

I had my left hand done back in aug. six weeks later i could not open a pop bottle:whistle: Im just now getting to wear i can work on stuff with out having to baby it. and yes i have a nasty scar. I need to have the right done but Im putting it off as long as I can. It sucked!

well that doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling....:banghead: im gonna have to search around cause it seems having it done endoscopically has WAY less down time and recovery. chit, its a 10 minute surgery endoscopically and ur not left with a huge scar on ur hand that may leave you with a painful scar for months if not forever.

I had 10 stitches placed on my palm several years ago and its still sensitive.

but doing it endoscopically doesnt seem to be the standard way of performing the surgery.

yea I have the same concerns about cutting that tendon that runs accross and what impact it will have on my hand strength. but man this is becomming an every day every hour problem so I dont know.

I'm not quite there yet but I have problems on long rides with the hands going numb. I also have to be really careful working on the bike because it feels like one wrong move with a wrench and the wrist is gonna snap all the tendons inside. My hands have woke me up at night but I thought that was the heart problems, I hadn't even thought about the CT. I'm on a computer about 16 hours a day, so I suppose I'm due.

My brother has it bad in his right hand. Too much computer time and texting. On top of that he's a barber so he's always holding vibrating clippers in his hand all day long. Hasn't gotten the surgery yet but he wears a brace @ night when he sleeps or just resting and he says it helps

I know its not the same but back in 06 when I had my back surg, Somehow the touched the nerves that run down my legs. Here it is 7 years later and my leg still has the stinging and burning that you spoke of. The Dr told me the nerve will only grow back a 1/2 in a year. It wakes me up sometimes and it feels like someone is taking a hand full of needles and stabbing me in my foot. Sometimes it will last for a few days. To me anytime they mess with nerves no one can guarantee you anything. I wish you the best of luck

They did the cut in the wrist thing, not sure what its called, I don't have any visual scar at all on either hand, both hands work great now, no pain,

At 6 weeks I was pushing a wheel barrow of concrete and finishing concrete with hand tools if that means anything to you.

Back