Carbon Fiber bottles

icemansid

Donating Member
Registered
Has anybody used a carbon fiber bottle for NOS? I am looking at several carbon bottles - mostly to drop dead weight.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

how about something that you could actually mount to your bike? similar size to a 2.5 lb tank.....

CF bottles make sense in painball, but don't necessarily make sense for nitrous. Most CF bottles are actually composite contruction, with the fibers wound around an aluminum core. If the bottles go through many thermal cycles, that core can delaminate, causing failure. Bad. The paintball buys don't throw there bottles in the freezer like we do. Their bottles don't see massive temperature drops as the bottle empties. Also, the paint ball guys don't need to securly clamp their bottles. The diameters of most CF bottles are not standard, and I don't think you can clamp on them. All in all, there are easier / cheaper / safer ways to save 2.5 pounds, and thats all we are talking about. A 2 lb bottle only weighs 4 lbs empty.

What draco said :bowdown::beerchug:

If you're going for looks chrome/polished bottle is great but doesn't work as well as a black bottle.

No. It won't work. It has a low pressure regulator and special fittings not compatible with nitrous. Paintball guns aren't operated at 1000 psi (they would be lethal if they were). The Hydro rating is invalidated as soon as you fill it. Its expensive, and it only saves you 1-1/2 lbs.

you are only partially correct. That low pressure ASA can be removed as it is (as it is in every other high pressure container) threaded in. Thus you remove it and now have a carbon fiber container. I have a paintball gun bottle for my air shifter. just removed the ASA fitting and purchased the according fitting from MPS

:poke:

polished are nice,,,carbon is too,,,but i think id cry if either got scuffed up,,,ive got a blue under the hump,,,,but if you have a nice show bike and deep pockets,,get what you want

carbon bottles start around 100$ - didnt think that was too bad. i guess i will just have to order one and see what i can do. for those interested, will keep you posted :thumbsup:

Composite Bottles should be Hydro testing every 3 years after normal use. If you are using composite bottles for Nitrous then I would suggest you Hydro test it every year even if it is a 4500psi bottle. Nitrous bottle valves can be used with composite bottles. Just get the correct thread size. If you are using a clamp them you should have some type of cushion to protect the bottle. Aluminum bottles are Hydro tested every 5 years. Nitrous bottles that you buy are rated at 1800psi. I would highly suggest that you never buy used Nitrous bottles. You dont know if the bottle was over heated with a torched or bottle heaters. I buy used Oxygen Bottles (have green tops). They are rated at 2015psi,slightly thicker than Nitrous bottles,Nitrous bottle valves with screw right in and you dont have to worry about them being over heated (check ebay and craigs list).
I test composite bottle ranging from 4500 to 6000 psi (Fire Department stuff). The temps arent as cold as quick discharges if Nitrous but we do heat the bottles and rapidly cool them with water as well as Hydro testing them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for all the awesome info. I use a scuba tank for filling my air shifter, know all about the hydros. used bottle but the scuba only puts out 120 psi max.... perfect for air shifter.

100.00 bucks for a carbon bottle is cheap,,I have a standard blue 2lb,,,I think they run about 150.00 give or take,,,,,,what size is that carbon?

The unfortuante part of the paintball industry, they measure everything in CI. the bigger ones run 68-88 CI.

Idk why? But I was bored and stumbled across this thread. I'm curious now..... did anybody ever end up successfully running a CF bottle for their nitrous setup?

Oh ok cool good 2know. it's probably a pricey setup but that's definitely a nice touch to add with a custom nitrous setup on a busa :thumbsup: there's not much I doubt you can't do when it comes to nitrous :bowdown:

Back