Car guys:  tire place wanted $78

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I suspect this is crap. What do you guys think? Take car in to respected nationwide tire chain place for 4 new tires, alignment etc. Tech comes over to me...

Tech: "We did the basic engine check over, all fluids look fine, but our guy noticed it could use the cleaning additive because the dirt going through, and it affects your miles per gallon by gunking up your fuel injectors..."

me: "how exactly did your guy notice this problem?"

Tech: [stammer, stall]" um well, um ya see, well, while he was checking he noticed excessive amounts of [something something] on the intakes.... "

me: " how much is this procedure?"

Tech: "just an additional $78"

Me: "No thanks. I had it tuned recently, and I am sure it's fine"

so, they do WHAT again? pour some cleaning agent into the fuel or spray clean the intakes? Can't I do that myself with a $12 can of stuff? Was I about to be taken? I'd never heard of this $78 procedure before in the 106,000 miles on my car. Something new or yet another attempt at mechanic spin into cash had I not known what to ask?

Otherwise, treated with total respect, tires are quiet and balanced, car alignment is back on the strait and narrow. I'm happy with their work

seems somehow they took you for a sucker
laugh.gif

someone asked me for it one time, I said no and asked a buddy who works for a dealership, he handed me the can and said here ya go ... I tried whatever it was, didnt notice really any change.

These days when I take the truck in for whatever I tell the guy to just do what I asked, if he notices something that needs attention to alert me and then I make a decision but I tell them flat out do not try to solicit anything, I'll never be back.

Most likely they are talking about a intake system cleaning. My buddy works at a dealer where they use a system from Wynns. Pretty much the remove the carbon from the intake but taking the EGR vavle off and running a decarbonizer through it. Next they clean the throtle body, and finaly the fuel pump is disabled a canister with injector cleaner is used ot run the engine untill it is empty. the whole process takes about 45 min to a hour depending on the engine. Of course larger ones will go through it faster. If this is the same set up it is worht the money. I have seen him take a car in with a dead skip on a cylinder run the injector cleaner and bring it back.. But is cost like 250.00 at the Chevy dealer. Like i siad if it was the same thing its a great deal, but I highly doubt it for that price..

For 80 bucks they would most likely pour a bottle of cleanr in the tank, remove the vac hose form the brake booster and pour some intake cleaner down it.. Yeah it will reach the intake, but does a crappy job..

You were smart to pass.

Many if not most national chains "encourage" if not outright demand "upsells" to customers in the shop.. This is not unusual but often the service is not really needed.. There is typically enough justification to sell the service but they are pretty much just profit builders.. I detest the practice as many people just do not have enough "knowledge" to just say "NO"

There are upsell items that are almost always needed but can be bought on sales etc..

Shocks.. most cars need new ones at around 30K most are never changed at all, without fail, the customer will thank you next visit.. The trick here is pricing... look around and find a deal.. Also, most cars should be realigned at the same time (front and rear)
Cooling system services (2 years or what your Owners manual recommends) Every year on a few vehicles..

Just for Profit items:
Transmission service flush (Run Forest RUN!!) Most cars are good to 100K
Injector flush: Usually of questionable value.. An additive dumped in the tank (AS directed on the bottle) usually does just fine, plan on a fuel filter change a tank later)

The VERY best advice I can offer is make sure that the shop saves your old parts, get a second opinion if something seems a bit off to you.. Brake stores can be a mine field but there are good ones.. I could write a book on garage practices and what to watch out for but you would fall asleep
smile.gif

thanks for the feedback, guys. kinda like I suspected. while he was rolling off the jargan, I was litereally thinking, "Okay, this is the type of crap they catch women on... am I wearing a dress? ? ? " I didn't recreate exactly what he said because it was more technical than I remembered, I know it just smelled like something to make extra money. Bogus, I think it was the injector flush. If it was only about $20, I probably would have said, sure go ahead.... but $78? ? NOT! The stammering after I asked HOW they determined this is what really blew it. Still, I understand they have a job to do, and it probably would have been NICE for my car engine, but there is really nothing wrong with it. I was very happy with the rest of the experience with them, and previous experiences too

Most likely they are talking about a intake system cleaning. My buddy works at a dealer where they use a system from Wynns. Pretty much the remove the carbon from the intake but taking the EGR vavle off and running a decarbonizer through it. Next they clean the throtle body, and finaly the fuel pump is disabled a canister with injector cleaner is used ot run the engine untill it is empty. the whole process takes about 45 min to a hour depending on the engine. Of course larger ones will go through it faster. If this is the same set up it is worht the money. I have seen him take a car in with a dead skip on a cylinder run the injector cleaner and bring it back.. But is cost like 250.00 at the Chevy dealer. Like i siad if it was the same thing its a great deal, but I highly doubt it for that price..

For 80 bucks they would most likely pour a bottle of cleanr in the tank, remove the vac hose form the brake booster and pour some intake cleaner down it.. Yeah it will reach the intake, but does a crappy job..

You were smart to pass.
Sounds very very close to the BG system.I've used it a few times and will agree with you about fixing a skipping cylinder sometimes.The intake cleaning works ok also.Just buy a can of throttlebody cleaner and use a toothbrush to get the buildup out ov the corners of the throttle plate and use a rag to wipe the rest.Put a good injector in the tank once a year and you will be fine.

I had almost the same type of experience with a local merchant, seems the wrench Monkey( no insult to Gansgter Monkey intended) BROKE the stem in mt TPMS -WTF they came out and told me it would cost me 246.00 for a new one replaced...I told them to mount the tires with a regular stem and give me my TPMS. I went home and looked it up online, bought it an hour later for 48.00, took it BACK to the chain and told them since the scored and broke the valve they should replsace it for free....which they did.
Cost 48.00 and less than 1/4 tank of gas.
bowdown.gif

Back