can't remember how the windscreen attaches

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
on a gen 1. it's been sitting off the bike for awhile. i've got two bolts that attach the windscreen to the bike, but they don't seem to thread into anything. someone want to shed some light on the subject?

There are rubber grommets that go into the windscreen. The bolts go through the upper fairing into the grommets (they have threaded inserts). Any of that ring a bell?

yep...those rubber grommets are a pain.....I had to wrestle tha sucka out of there.
Gettting it back in isn't much easier!

yep...those rubber grommets are a pain.....I had to wrestle tha sucka out of there.
Gettting it back in isn't much easier!

They really aren't that bad....put a little spit or other lube on them that will evaporate (soapy water works great too) and they slip right in.

ok, i think i know where the grommets are, i had the inserts, but didn't notice them being threaded.

ok, i think i know where the grommets are, i had the inserts, but didn't notice them being threaded.

Kinda hard to see the threads but if you look you'll see steel inserts that are indeed threaded. When the bolt goes in it squishes the grommets up against the inside of the windscreen creating a larger surface that the hole in the windscreen can't go through anymore.

I just screw the bolts in the inserts and push them through like a tack. Some times the window needs to be wiggled but so far I have had no problems.

Also the bottom of the thread insert may be covered with rubbers so you may not see the threads.

pics needed, lol, of the bolt and the insert.

windscreen123.gif

Last edited:
a gen 1 has that? i don't remember those anywhere.
Are you serious....or just drunk? :rofl:

Yes they have them...they're about a 1/2" long, maybe 3/8" in diameter, they should still be in your windscreen unless you bought a new one. If that's the case check your old windscreen, they're probably still stuck in there. I've never had mine come out of my windscreen and I've probably removed mine no less than 10 times.

When you find them,use some spit or soapy water to get the rubber back in. Don't use any chemical that will make rubber swell.

dunno if i'll be able to find em in the garage. i'll look. might just have to get a couple from the suzi dealer.

Back