Can anyone recommend a good home defense round ?

Bots brings up the most important point of all.

Come north a bit across the border to the land of the free here and practice practice practice practice.

It doesn't matter what you use for self defense without practice so it is second nature it is about useless. This even goes for claymores and hand grenades.

I agree 100% with the practice, but I would recommend some cheaper ammo to plink/practice with. Pick up some Remington or Federal ammo and save the Hornady for when you need them.

+1 for home defense I prefer the shotgun. Should be able to repaint the room with the intruder and not worry about hurting the neighbors :thumbsup:

I use these...but they might just go through a wall. (they go through everything else including blowing the back out of filing cabinets) :laugh:

12 guage. 1 large ball slug in front followed by 7 smaller balls.

One of my favorite rounds!

law buckshot.jpg

I agree 100% with the practice, but I would recommend some cheaper ammo to plink/practice with. Pick up some Remington or Federal ammo and save the Hornady for when you need them.

Yeah, don't use the Hornady's for "normal" practice, but definitely practice with them as well. Not NEARLY as important as it would be with a semi auto pistol, but even with a revolver you should practice with your defense round.. :beerchug:

Yeah, don't use the Hornady's for "normal" practice, but definitely practice with them as well. Not NEARLY as important as it would be with a semi auto pistol, but even with a revolver you should practice with your defense round.. :beerchug:

+1...I'll give a good example why.

I have 3 mags that go with my carry gun. It has never had an issue shooting or feeding before and is a good target gun. I purchased some "better" hollow points specifically for carrying loaded in the gun but had never practiced with them.

Finally one day I pull it out to shoot some targets with the hollow points and come to find out my "defense" rounds would not feed into the gun for some reason. All this time my more reliable stopping round was the least reliable of all, so make sure you practice with the round you have on ready for defense!

+1...I'll give a good example why.

I have 3 mags that go with my carry gun. It has never had an issue shooting or feeding before and is a good target gun. I purchased some "better" hollow points specifically for carrying loaded in the gun but had never practiced with them.

Finally one day I pull it out to shoot some targets with the hollow points and come to find out my "defense" rounds would not feed into the gun for some reason. All this time my more reliable stopping round was the least reliable of all, so make sure you practice with the round you have on ready for defense!

Same thing can happen with a revolver. Not in the feeding but definitely in the ejecting/reloading procedure. I've shot some .357 rounds that got stuck HARD in the cylinder when trying to eject. Would not be fun in a stress situation..

No commercially available round on the market will completely eliminate the problem of overpenetration. While frangible, lower powder charge, and hollow point style ammo decreases the possibility, there always remains a chance that a round or fragment of a round will penetrate through the drywall and strike an unintended target. This is why one of the principle rules in shooting is to ALWAYS be aware of your backstop, and what lies beyond it.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Magsafe SWAT load .38
Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

wadcutter, have not heard that term since I was a child, and that was a long azz time ago. Yes, before the wheel :laugh:

Yes wadcutter or fnsp (flat nose soft point). These rounds have worked fine for more than a century. An unjacketed lead round will have great expansion and energy transfer as well as not over penetrating walls.

No commercially available round on the market will completely eliminate the problem of overpenetration. While frangible, lower powder charge, and hollow point style ammo decreases the possibility, there always remains a chance that a round or fragment of a round will penetrate through the drywall and strike an unintended target. This is why one of the principle rules in shooting is to ALWAYS be aware of your backstop, and what lies beyond it.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Magsafe SWAT load .38
Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

That's gospel, but I can't see through walls. Besides I've never had an issue with deep penetration :laugh:

Yes wadcutter or fnsp (flat nose soft point). These rounds have worked fine for more than a century. An unjacketed lead round will have great expansion and energy transfer as well as not over penetrating walls.

Thread jacking slightly .......... AR 15, specifically M4, .223. CQB / home defense. Thoughts on penetration and the neighbors :poke: Don't think of this question in reference to home defense.

Thread jacking slightly .......... AR 15, specifically M4, .223. CQB / home defense. Thoughts on penetration and the neighbors :poke: Don't think of this question in reference to home defense.

magsafe just came out with a SWAT load frangible round for the 223. Should be a good round for a home defense AR

I still think the best round is a round house kick from Chuck Norris........................................ just sayin

You can always reinforce the outside structure with some concrete & rebar, step up your firepower :laugh:
I went with firewalls on the exterior and advised my neighbors to sleep and place living areas away from my property.

Back