Can anyone recommend a good home defense round ?

dane789

Registered
I live in a typical residential neighborhood. The houses are wood/plastic/brick ect. and spaced 20-30 yards apart from one another. What would be a good choice of home defense round for a .38 revolver? I am concerned with over-penetration into a neighbors house and hurting an innocent bystander. Glaser Safety Slug? Corbon? Hornady Critical Defense? So many brands... all saying that they are the best choice. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone from Southern Florida got an opinion on this? Anyone? :laugh:

Where I live I do not have to worry about OVER penetration.

Good question though.

Seeing where you live and knowing the type of construction in that area I would go with the Corbon. Stay away from the safety slugs.
The layout of your house will also play big part. If you are shooting across the house towards the neighbors without a grage between you then over penetration needs to be considered, if all of that is not the case then over penetration is not as much of a concern.

With a .38 I don't think there is much to worry about.

not really a fan of the glasers, not a bad idea, but to expensive to really practice with. corbon is good, critical defense is good, been carrying one of federal's premium self defense ammo in my 357 and have found it to be accurate and reliable ammo. if your gun can handle +p, might as well keep +p in it.

you will do well with a hollowpoint for sure, and if you are worried about over penetration you can always use semijacketed hollowpoints. you'll end up doing a better job preventing overpenetration with a round that dumps all it's kinetic energy into the unfortunate body rather than blowing through it.

ultimately if you perfect your shot placement, thats the best way to prevent strays.

-THE MENACE

So a 50 Cal is definately out of the question...

You need to qualify the question before it can be answered. :rulez:

.50AE or .50 BMG, .50 cal Blk Pwdr?
1 layer of intruder or multipule layers of intruder to penetrate at once??

With out those qualifiers we can not answer YOUR question with a good quality answer.
:laugh:

I would use a 158gr flat nose lead wadcutter. A nice high velocity lead round will not over penetrate and will put a whack on something for sure.

00 buck shot. and an even better idea is a good size DOG! an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.....:whistle:

Hornady Critical Defense......nuff said.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyUHiK-QuvLrTAbNQUUdXx2hV6orY-u3VFMWADayAkFAVW1pxH.jpg

I have a Doberman for back up and when the guy broke into my garage 2 years ago, I informed him that she runs a lot faster than he does. So, I would not shoot him in the back, but if he runs, she was going to see where he was going :)

I have shot many rounds in water soaked phone books and I no that aint flesh, walls, etc. but I have always been impressed and always carried golden sabers. very nice quick expansion and great weight retention. left to right #1 aguila iq, #2 corbon (if I member right) #3 golden saber, #4 starfire. these are all .40 fired from a few yards away. I have more and have everything wrote down as far as weights and measurements and penetration depth, just a mater of finding it all.
ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

I can honestly say in 17 yrs of LE I have NEVER responded to a burglary in progress where the home owner had a good size dog that made lots of noise when an intruder was tryn to get in. never once. im sure its happened somewhere to someone but I have yet to see it. even a 40 lb. pit will scare off almost all criminals. they will simply go to the next house and victimize the neighbor with no dog.

a double barrell shotgun with 00 buck is by far the best home defense when it comes to weapons. they may not be a fancy and kool:whistle: but FAR more effective then any handgun and shotguns dont jam or stovepipe.

you cant be home all the time to protect ur family with a gun but a dog sure can.

A loud mouth large dog!

A chihuahua will do a good job of deterring prowlers and burglars.. Shoot, geese and peacocks will be excellent even a parrot will do the trick. Heck, if you want to get absolute assurance that folks will think twice before they try to step into your house, you could build a perimeter double layer patrol fence for your K-9s to run and make sure you have CCTV and a non-scaling fence that will make it difficult to climb or to throw in poisoned meat to kill the dogs. A nice solid block wall with re-bar dropped into the holes full of concrete will be a good obstacle and it will help a lot if potential thieves cannot even see inside the property. What you can't see can kill you... Woof woof...

I can honestly say in 17 yrs of LE I have NEVER responded to a burglary in progress where the home owner had a good size dog that made lots of noise when an intruder was tryn to get in. never once. im sure its happened somewhere to someone but I have yet to see it. even a 40 lb. pit will scare off almost all criminals. they will simply go to the next house and victimize the neighbor with no dog.

a double barrell shotgun with 00 buck is by far the best home defense when it comes to weapons. they may not be a fancy and kool:whistle: but FAR more effective then any handgun and shotguns dont jam or stovepipe.

you cant be home all the time to protect ur family with a gun but a dog sure can.

:thumbsup:

If you must use a firearm, then I agree with a good old fashioned 12 Gauge. Short range. Lots of damage. Large "hit" zone pattern. You guys can in your mind be ready all you want. But when the time actually comes, your adrenaline will be pumping, your hands will be trembling, and the chances of a hit with a bullet are gonna be slim after you are more than about 15 feet away. Not saying for everyone. My friend about to retire, used to take me on ride a longs about anytime I wanted. I'd go maybe twice a month. Never once has he gone to a call where an intruder who was shot, but lots of calls where they were shot at.

Combat pistol ranges are one of the best exercises I can think of to give you real world, readiness to the reality of what you will face.

I will agree that a 12ga is best. But you all are missing the point of the question asked.

HE HAS A .38 not a 12ga. He wants to know what ammo would be best for the firearm HE HAS.

Back