Camera Warranty, Yay or Neh?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Best Buy 3 or 4 year ( dont remember ) extended warranty on a $700 camera is another $180... which is allmost a 1/4 cost of a new camera. The kicker is that it offers replacement even if I drop it or it gets stolen AND they will through in a couple free complete cleanings and service check...

I am kind of against extended warranty because like insurance your hardley EVER gonna use it and most folks forget they have it...

What say yee?

nikon-d5000-digital-slr-front-top.jpg

Last edited:
Go for it, the stolen or dropping part is worth it. I have best buys warranty on my laptop, and its been in 3 or 4 times now. Not so much as a hesitation on them repairing it, being atleast 200 dollars in parts each time. Good customer service. :beerchug:

I would ask yourself:
How much use will I get out of the camera?
How do you normally treat your electronics?
What kind of pricing are you looking at to get it repaired if something brakes?

Best Buy 3 or 4 year ( dont remember ) extended warranty on a $700 camera is another $180... which is allmost a 1/4 cost of a new camera. The kicker is that it offers replacement even if I drop it or it gets stolen AND they will through in a couple free complete cleanings and service check...

I am kind of against extended warranty because like insurance your hardley EVER gonna use it and most folks forget they have it...

What say yee?

Please check on this, I'm pretty sure our protection plans don't cover stolen. I know we cover dropped but no stolen.

well i got it when i bought my flatscreen tv back in 07 and it was stolen on jan of this year. well now they are giving me the run around on paper work. they keep sending me paperwork for disability/ out of work. called 4 times and i get put on hold for over 5 mins

Kento may I ask why you are not buying the camera online ?
If you buy it from an authorized E-tailer all factory warranties come with it same as from a brick and mortar establishment .

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good article about extended warranties. They're high profit margin "insurance policies" retailers love to sell because the odds a consumer will collect on them are pretty low.

Personally I never purchase them. My favorite question for the salesperson pushing an extended warranty is "Hmmm, so you're telling me this item you're trying to sell me isn't high enough quality to last for more than two or three years?" I love listening to the responses to that question.

I had never before thought of the "self insurance" angle the story I linked to recommends.

Also consider that three to four years down the road you'll be able to replace your currently new camera body with the same model found on e-bay for $300-$400. You may well be spending 180 of today's dollars to do nothing more than prevent the unlikely chance you'll have to spend $300 of 2014 dollars.

Accidents happen, but dSLR cameras are large enough you're probably going to be careful with it. There's also not a whole lot of moving parts to go bad either.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

:thumbsup:I pay 10 bucks a months for phone insurance... im hard on my phone. About to have my screen replaced for the 3rd time :thumbsup: 3 phones = at least 1000 bucks. ive paid less than 70 bucks in insurance. Just depends on how you are with electronics. Im easy with my camera so i didnt get insurance on it...

Last edited:
I guess I just get lucky with my issues. I am semi hard on cell phones, but it is still a better deal for me to not have the insurance and just ebay a new phone when I break it.

Back