Cam Gear installation press - made one!

Redcurbjumper

Registered
Pressed the stock gears and bearings off and installed the adjustable gears and new bearings with this today. Could have used some more bracing as she started to bend a little right when the stock gears broke free (heat was used). Square tubing and an old bottle Jack. (Bird poop welds are patent pending)

Saved $200 bucks and it takes up less space in the shop!

E934B8A9-2A25-4417-8B6B-F99A83E7475B.jpeg

Wow!
Full points for engineering tenacity in the search for saving cash lol. I LOVE the bent beam at the top!
I have also pressed off the gears and bearings off my cams, but with a 20 ton shop press at work and it takes a lot more force than I anticipated. I never used heat, but when the gear moved it made a loud noise… I was worried it would break the gear but it worked out fine. It was a heck of a lot of load on the gear.
Lining up the gear on the shaft was nerve wracking also, I had dot punched the gear and corresponding marked the shaft, and you really only get one shot at with lining it up on the installation.
As you can see in the pic the marks are not quite lined up, the cam timing is now slightly advanced, but works fine.

F39CC721-E8C9-4AF0-8A4C-71EEF7E1E4B5.jpeg

C927435D-BEDD-4AC0-BDCA-F476E92AED11.jpeg

Wow!
Full points for engineering tenacity in the search for saving cash lol. I LOVE the bent beam at the top!
I have also pressed off the gears and bearings off my cams, but with a 20 ton shop press at work and it takes a lot more force than I anticipated. I never used heat, but when the gear moved it made a loud noise… I was worried it would break the gear but it worked out fine. It was a heck of a lot of load on the gear.
Lining up the gear on the shaft was nerve wracking also, I had dot punched the gear and corresponding marked the shaft, and you really only get one shot at with lining it up on the installation.
As you can see in the pic the marks are not quite lined up, the cam timing is now slightly advanced, but works fine.

View attachment 1659355

View attachment 1659356
I was gonna buy the harbor junk press for $169, but it was Christmas Day and all my buddies were doing the family thing!!! Get -R - done!!!! Whip out the mig and chop saw !!!!!

Wow!

View attachment 1659355

View attachment 1659356
Yes one of the stock gears did break on me during removal. loL

Back