cam chain tensioner replaced

OB_NumbNuts

Registered
Well, cam chain tensioner replaced, wrote bit above, drove home in the rain turned her off after I got home, she coughed a little, nothing too noticable

Went to start her later, nothing. Just turned over and over, not even a hint of a firing.

took plastic off
checked all conections (pump pressurising on the key, fuel getting to T'Bodies, fuses okay

took cam cover off (what an awkward sod!!!!)

lined up timing marks according to book, counted links..17!!!

she had jumped 2 teeth on intake side.

Just got done now, runs okay, shes naked still, but what a suprise!!

I checked tensioner it is much more rattley than the buggered one they took off. (by this I mean at end of stroke, and sideways movement (so this would explain the vibration rattle)

Now what do I do. The tensioner doesn't even look like a new one.....

all the cam chain is good, no broken links, nothing out of line or looking stretched or tight, cams look good! as do lifters...

Thought the rubber gasket under the cover was going to be a complete arse to get back in, but it went in piece of cake!! Didn't need to remove T'bodies, just the throttle linkage and poke the ignition leads down by the radiator, and the side pod brackets.

Bloody pair hose from Airbox and idle adjusting cable has taken the skin off my first finger knuckle, left hand due to the awkward position of the camchain tensioner bolts!!!!

shes running now, just taken her to the off licence to treat myself to a bottle of wine seeing as I diagnosed it correctly and fixed it. Doesn't seem to be any damage, she's not hunting or spluttering any more than normal, in fact less I would say, but then I have just re-torqued the plugs... Pick up from standing start is normal, but its dark and I had wrong visor on so I didn't feel like pulling a wheelie !!!! (and my name is not wickedspeed!!

well there you have it. tensioner replaced in morning by dealer under warranty because it is making a noise, jumps 2 teeth in afternoon. fixed by me in evening!!!!

typed this on word...just read the rplies from earlier

thanks Gary, it does appear the tensioner is buggered. the mechanic didn't have a clue. I heard him say he had never done one of these before.......(after the rattle was discovered) rattle is still there, will go elsewhere to get tensioner replaced properly (I have to keep my waranty up!! 2 years over here and I have had the bike since march. I would be a fool not to. I have asked the dealer about installing a manual tensioner, and if I get them to do it, would it void my waranty, he is asking Suzuki GB monday.)

I tell all of you UK blokes

Carnell Milton Keynes is the place to steer clear of, and to tell all your friends to stay away. The £800 I saved by going there to get my bike, I have hassel since day 1. All the worry, stress, running backwards and forwards. Sorry. Never again and all the people that I know will know this, might even write to MCN. Its that bad.

Nuts

Christ Nuts. You the lucky one or what. Not refering to the shite dealer, I mean having been '' (measure the distance!) that close to having your engine pop in your face. Must be the closest thing to engine meltdown and get away with it. I hope your luck holds chum. I've been a close friend of Jack D all night so excuse my pissed typing.

If there are other dealers reading this thing then listen up...... WHAT THE F.U.C.K. are you playing at? I'm sure there are grips out there that take pride in what they do.. From some of the bod's who write on this board I know that's true, and I love you for it. For the rest of you screwed up F.U.C.K.S. get your heads out of your arse. Your piss aufull attitude is going to kill people! My mate Nut's running around at speed and his engine fails as a result of your incompitance and he leaves this mortal coil! Stop trying to act like bicker gods. If you don't know the answers, say so. I hope the wrench in M.K. reads this, I really do...

Nut's if you want to get together over the weekend, you and me go to Milton Keynes and do a little 'wet' work on your friendly wrench, I'm sure he'll be a little more careful with his work in the future. I had the fortunate experience of finding that a biker I thought was dog-meat was still running around today. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find out that another mate has been spread all aver the ****ing raod 'cos some arshole grip didn't know his arse from his elbow!

happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
happy BIRTHDAY to Tangram
Happy Birthday to you

*round of applause*

So whats the score eh?? 35 / 36 not out??

everything you say is right. I even have a RIDE dealer watch sticker on top of my clock panel. Do they not realise what the consequences are??

Knobs. lot of them.

Hows the exhaust?? did it come off okay without any scratches??
Fairings in the garage (serious!!!!)

LOL
Nuts

After all this recall is sorted out I will, but if they don't agree, then I lose 18 months plus of free waranty (and I sure do clock up some miles!! (12,500 since march 1st)

so that is, over 2 years, 50,000miles in 2 years. So if anyting is to go wrong, it should have by then, and I keep my bike well, if not exremly well!!!! (trust me!! Amount Ispend on cleanig, grease, lube, copperslip, polish, extra polish etc etec etc )

ILoveMyBusa Nuts ;)

No, headscrewedonNuts

If the needle bearings go (the ones that have been changed for the 2000 model), and I have a letter saying " I'm sorry Mr. NumbNuts, but your Waranty is now invalid because you have fited items to your machine which may cause detrimental effects to the opperation of the whole machine"....I am screwed....I cant afford a new gearbox, or a new engine...

I saved like a C**t to get this one. I have a house, a mortgage, etc........you know what its like!

keep the warranty. Its free for 2 years, unlimited mileage (hence the reason why I clock up so many...if its gonna break it will soon!!!)

Nuts

What models to the bad tensioners pertain to? All or only early made? There has got to be a reson why some people have no troube. Bad quality control maybe?

Numbnuts, if your camchain jumps once with a bad tensioner, it will probably jump again. Perhaps your dipshit mechanic didn't pull the tab out to release the tensioner mechanism. I sure would pull the tensioner out, an easy job, and check to see how it was working before I rode again.

MN's
I put a manual on mine as soon as this problem surfaced. The stock one will go back on if, god forbid, I ever need to have a Suzuki shop do any major warranty work. There are some good Suzuki mechanics around but, many are not worth a ****.

Gary

Thats exactly it. But, I have to turn up at the shop with it on. Its a complete arse to keep changing over all the time!!!!

As I said. Once this warranty work (camchain tension adjuster) is finished, manual goes back in. Its siting in my workshop, but if I dont say anything, how are Suzuki gonna know there is a problem... this is the thing. yeah, I ride it everyday, and I ride it hard, but I dont wheelie, burnout (I know Pooh, perhaps I should!!) Normal, everyday bike. This is why I feel Suzuki should know;. But they probably dont care or give a poop. I think of customers. They think of profit.

Nuts

Nuts ;)

finally they put the new one in. #4.

Stock one is totally shagged according to the service tech

They put new one in (i wasn't allowed to watch, but I waited by the service entrance gate and watched them wheel the bike out of the workshop and start it up.

It was making a horrible rattle / vibration sound at tickover (idle) but sounded pretty good apart from that.

The vibration sounded like they had dropped something in behind the starter motor.

Anyway. thye took it for a test ride (wince I hate it when they do that without asking!!) and the noise is still there.

I asked to see the old tensioner and it is my old one. so they have replaced it.

service guy reckoned the bolt on the back of the tensioner stops it from backing out. (shows how much he knows!! thread isn't even long enough to reach the slotted part!!)

He thinks the rattle is the blade pushing on the cam chain, and, as the old tensioner was buggered, it has grooved it.

I told him that why wasnt the old tensioner making that noise then??

so he says that he will order up a tensioner blade and have the bike in to fit it, as its an easy, quick job.

I ask him if he realises it involves taking the cam cover off etc, he says no it doesnt............

I made my excuses saying I will get a scond opinion and get back to him.

He is ringing suzuki GB this afternoon to seek their advice (and boy does he need it!!)

what do you all think the noise is??

I haven't so much as lifted the tank yet, I'll do that this afternoon....

concerned Nuts

Sounds like he didn't replace the chain tensioner with a new one, he just stuck a bolt in it with some blue-tak. If it goes BANG! can I have your front lower fairing Nut's :) :) :) :) :) :)

[This message has been edited by Tangram (edited 18 August 2000).]

It is a new one, because I descreetly marked the old one!! and he let me look at it.

if it goes bang, there will be all hell to pay

why do you need fairing bits my good man??

Just 'cos mines a bit scratched from other doddering idiots reversing their bikes into mine when it's parked up, and yours are nice and shiny.

It could be an internal problem. If it runs alright but,is making chain noise it is likely being caused by the tensioner or a problem with the chain guide. If its making noise I wouldn't drive it that way since it could jump cam sprocket teeth. Sounds like the mechanic doesn't have a clue as to how the tensioner actually works. Hope he knew to lock it in retract before putting it in. They likely would try another tensioner before replacing the guide and I would let them proceed. I would also ask to see the tensioner when it comes out to check it yourself. You should be able to retract the plunger totally with a small screwdriver and it should totally extend when you release the screw. To install the plunger needs to be locked in the retracted position via a small tool that prevents the screw from rotating until its in place.

150 Hours!!!!!

I don't mean to start teaching you to suck eggs, but Jeez, I'd get onto Suzuki UK and speak to the importer principal.

That's not on. If it were me, I think I'd have demanded a new bike by now.

Seriously, go to Suzuki direct. Mention your letters to MCN and the Office of Fair Trading!

If this is tensioner #4, there is no reason to assume the fault will not simply keep recurring. **** that!

Fearsome. (looking out for his prey)

[This message has been edited by FearsomeKawasaki (edited 19 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FearsomeKawasaki (edited 19 August 2000).]

So are ya going to MK and make a grease spot out of the "mechanic" today? I'd do the manager too.

yep, JC you are right as always!!!
I didn't get your mail till after the replacement :(
they would have probably buggered the cam cover up anyway!!

the dealership is cra*. I am going elsewhere now.

Thats it.

thanks JC.

Nuts ;)

Lanta the mech and the manager, I've had words with them before. I have even corresponded with the MD (big chain of dealerships) It just gets worse. I shall be ringing today. Problem is, I can't tell them I was in the engine, else warranty is void. So how do I know it jumped 2 teeth?? how come it is npw fixed??

Back