Cam chain tensioner just failed on my 00 too!

OB_Supermax

Registered
I just got my bike back together afer a run in with a deer on Memorial day and now this! I was riding over to a friends house and just as I was downshifting on my approach to his driveway, my bike shut off, like the key was shut off, no noise. At least none I could hear over the sound of the other bikes around me. I then pushed the starter button in the driveway and lots of noise and no compression, like a car sounds with a bad timing belt. I then hit the button again in disbelief, and it won't turn over at all, probably jammed up. My bike is all stock with 9500 miles. I was going 65 MPH at 3000 RPM right before this happened, not horsing on it or anything. What exactly will Suzuki replace? I hate the idea of having a rebuilt engine on my new bike, but I guess I don't have a choice. Not to mention the idea of some unskilled kid doing most of the work on it! I will inquire about gettingjust the parts and doing it myself after they look at it. I am a car mechanic by trade so I am capable. This really blows, most of the reason I bought this bike was to have a daily driver I didn't have to work on!

S-Max. Sorry to hear about this! I've got a 99 with 17,400 miles and the recall done. This makes me think that mine could go any day.

supermax sorry to hear about busa i have a 00 with 650 miles i have APE'S manual tensioner that is going on right away. is there a 12R owner out there who couldn't take the verbal abuse anymore and has a voodoo hayabusa with pins stuck in the cam tensioner??????

Sorry to hear the bad news. But I don't know what is everybody waiting for? Just order the APE tentioner and be done with it. Until Suzuki adresses this problem they are just going to put the same tentioner that is only a temperary fix.

...that's what I am doing...too many tales of the failure! I will likely wait untill it is installed before I run it again...paranoid? I wish...this is really happening, all the time...

rhino thats what i said 2 weeks ago just spend the 40.00 and be done unfortunatly people were saying i'll run it till she blows its covered under warranty.

Yeah they can run it till it blows and have no bike for a few months. Back orders suck!

a little bit off the subject, but supermax, are u the one with the tank bra/cover for sale?? i want it!!its sold!! i think ur email doesnt work!!

pls email me at busaboy@bellsouth.net

hopefully the people who are victims of the tensioner problem are reporting the issue to the NHTSA. if the government doesn't know, they can't force suzuki to do a recall!!

[This message has been edited by big papa (edited 24 July 2000).]

American Performance Engineering...po box 6998, 1010 W. Oak St...Burbank, CA...91510...phone: 818-842-4952 fax:818-842-9032....email:apefast1@aol.com......internet: http:/ /www.mpsmall.com/ape...I talked to John...

I have not been following the board very closely lately, and until now I did not even know about the manual tensioner. I wish I had, I would much rather have spent $40 and a little time than have the rest of my season ruined plus now have a torn down engine on my new bike. I hope lots of people are learning from our disasters and ordering the tensioners, I know I am ordering one today, just so I know I will have it when my bike is fixed. Its a good thing I kept the Vmax, or I would be really upste right now!

My build date is 11-99, so it is an early 2000. Maybe this has something to do with the failures. What is the newest build date bike to have a failure? Also, to anyone who has had theirs fixed, what exactly will Suzuki replace. Did you get a complete head, or just valves and guides? And do they reuse the battered pistons or give you new ones I hope? Also, the cam chain and sprockets can't be in good shape after jumping. I hope to at least hear good news as far as this stuff is concerned. And finally, time frame. How long did it take to get it fixed? I brought the bike to the dealer today, and I was told not to expect anythig in the near future, due to their backlog and the backorder situation. Thanks for any info!

I can't believe this $hit!!!!WTF!!! You guys got to report this $hit so Suzuki will do a recall on the recall!!! Fukking pitiful!!!I got my APE yesterday but still not real sure how to adjust it. I have heard so many ways. Anybody recently install and adjust one??? I don't have a swing arm stand so if I have to turn the motor over, it will have to be with the plugs pulled out and using the starter to spin it. I don't really want to pull the valve cover. Any Ideas>? Many will appreciate good, safe advice!! Thanks guys!!

zxalan find a wall in your garage put to hooks in base as if you were going to trailer your bike go ahead and tie bike against wall at this time put floor jack under motor and lift till rear wheel is off ground this is how i change my lowering links real easy

Hey Supermax,

What is your busa's manufacture date? 1/00?
I'm asking 'coz I got a 2000 also with the 3 pink dots on the tensioner. Thx.

It doesn't matter the build date. If you have any of the tensioners(one dot,three dot etc) they are going to fail, it just a matter of time, some may last 300 miles, other 15k miles, its like roulette, how ballsy do you feel? There are 2000's dropping like flys!! I talked to John at APE, he has a 2000 in there with 300 miles, bent 16 valves, broken guides, thats just pulling the head, not accounting for pistons, cylinders or anything on the bottom end. If you think Suzuki is going to fix this problem anytime soon, you better buy a spare bike(non-suzuki)so you can have something to ride while your Busa is in the shop waiting for parts that are on a two month backorder!! :( Good time to build a big bore, stroker though!, you might as well cause your going to be buying the same parts to repair yours if you're out of warranty, why not upgrade? Have you priced stock parts?, doesnt cost much more to build your own. It sucks to have to build a motor for a 2000 bike that is suppose to be the baddest, toughest thing around;(I can barely make the payments, much less build another motor, I don't want to be making payments for a bike that I can't ride due to FAULTY factory parts!!! Can you say LAW SUIT!!! ;)

Back