Caliper reassembly

karnage

Registered
Just picked my freshly powder coated caliper today and now i want to reassemble it.What do use on the inner seal.I know I can pick up some caliper assembly lube but last tube of that went bad because It hardly ever got used.Can I use silicon spray that evaporates, brake fluid, alcohol??

I would use brake fluid as a lubricant. Keep it simple, if the seals are in contact with brake fluid then that's safe for them. Other oils can cause them to expand such as synthetics.

Ohh and post pics.. what color are they, do share the beauty.

He's talking like engine oil. Brake fluid is fine, caliper assembly lube is simply a safe for seals lube that isn't so hard on skin. You don't need much, too much and it'll seep out and look like you have a leak.

brake fluid is safe. clean hands, clean parts... gentle assembly so you dont pinch the seals as you slide the pistons in.

Got it.I have rebuilt plenty of automotive calipers but they are bigger and not as touchy as a bike caliper

I put it together.Supposed to be a little tight right??The lip seal towards the back so it keeps the fluid in.I used a tiny bit on the seals and piston to slide in with ease.Felt tight but came apart tight.

Yeah. they're a little snug, but make sure you got the right seals and got them in right. Unless they changed design, they are beveled. It's been awhile since I did mine so I'm not gonna say which way the bevel went and end up wrong. NEVER USE ANYTHING SILICONE BASED ON BRAKE PARTS!

Yep, the lip goes towards the fluid. The reason it's tight is because the lip seal "rolls" as the piston moves out. It moves with the piston some so that when you release the brakes it will roll back into position and pull the piston back relieving all the pressure on the pad to reduce friction. So the piston will go in easier than pulling it out.

I re-used the seals as they were fine and the lip is in the right way.Next question.I want to hang the brake line but which end did the angled banjo go on??The caliper end or master side.Its been apart awhile and i cant remember which end it came off of.

Back