BY A C HAIR

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Ranger's story inspired me to ask you all a question.

Most experienced riders I know have had at least one intervention by higher powers in their motorcycling career. The kind of near miss where you're pretty sure you're gonna buy it but you ride away without a scratch. Maybe you pull off the road, stunned by feeling the Grim Reaper's cold black robes brushing over you, and thank somebody up there.

It's an experience you never ever forget. Have you ever had one on a bike? Here's mine.

1985. On the elevated highway that runs between Honolulu and Pearl Harbor. Riding a rented Kawasaki 900. 75 mph in medium traffic, second lane on a 4-laner.

200 feet ahead and two lanes to my right something flies off a truck and it's on a trajectory toward me. I'm not too worried. Then the thing takes it's first big bounce and to my horror it breaks into two components and I can see from the way the pieces are bouncing and cartwheeling in the air that they're heavy steel castings about a foot across each and the're irregularly shaped so they're bouncing unpredictably.

Both pieces are bouncing toward me in slow motion. I decide (I remember actually deciding, everything seemed slow) not to take evasive action because of surrounding traffic, but to stay in my lane. I couldn't hit the brakes because there was a wall of trucks on my tail.

I stood on my pegs to be ready to duck the pieces if they came at my body. I stared exactly between the pieces to keep both in my peripheral vision. As they approached I could see one was going across my front tire and the other was going to slam into me in the lower abdomen. I stood straight up on my pegs, leaned forward and lifted my right leg high as I could.

Then they hit simultaneously. One piece went under my front tire and threw it up about a foot off the pavement. I felt the other other piece impact my right foot.

I was surprised to be still alive and upright, but freaked out. I refused to look at my right foot for fear it had been taken off. I looked behind me and saw the wall of trucks that would have smeared me if I'd gone down.

I pulled off at the next exit and stopped the bike on the dirt ramp, breathing pretty hard. My boot was torn on the little toe area and I had a lot of pain. A minor cut and bruised bones.

I'm am not religious but I spat my gum out, looked up to the sky and thanked The Big Guy out loud.

DP
Watch out for those C hairs
[another good reason for polorized glasses.
Was talking to a local motorcycle policeman
who in 25 years of riding on the Job said
the strangest thing to hit him was a horse
that had broken through its fencing and ran
out onto the nearby country road.
Wilbur!!!

A quote from someone...Matter is just energy slowed to it`s simplest state,life is but a dream,we are all one consiousness sharing ourself subobjectively...If you dont believe in something more than yourselves an empty life is what you have.I should have been dead more times than I like to think about.A bullet by your head makes an unforgetable sound...And so does plowing into a 60,000 lb truck and pushing it sideways 3ft for that matter...getting rear ended at a light by a stoner doing 75mph also sucks...more than a few run ins with punks with guns.Driving in a truck with my buddies on rt47 trying to break their old time record,averaging 75-100mph,just to get to the end and stop the truck and have the ball joint let go...Just to name a few personal experiances .We had to take in a private who tried to kill his C.O. he chambered a round into his M16 raised it aimed it at his C.O. head and pulled the trigger...click then the grunts in the room jumped the would be shooter and subdued him.The odds of a military round not going off are astronomical ,I myself have put through over tens of thousands of rounds through mine and never did I have or heard of a failure.Jams yes pin mark in the primer and no fire?I try to say a prayer every time I leave my house :).

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 05 December 1999).]

Good point you made GSX13GUY...some of us have survived all these years because of that little prayer before each ride. It's a good habit to learn...and the only method I know of to control the unpredictable.
John

What you are all forgetting is that if the activities we, as riders and adrenaline junkies, participate in DIDNT have that extra element of unpredictability and danger, most of us would be doing something else. I too have had my share of close calls, but walking away/crawling away from them like rolling a Jeep Cherokee 7 times at a 135mph (yes it was moded) are the experiences we tuck away somewhere deep inside that we pull out every now and then to remind ourselves that we are truly alive and how far we push ourselves. In essence, we create the circumstances in which the risk of our actions increases astronomically and hell, we enjoy the snot outta it. What ever your beliefs, whether religious or purely scientific, just realize this simple fact:

In a potentially lethal situation, you have the rest of your life to contemplate the consequences of a wrong decision.

Ride safe.
~BP

I remembered my very close call,it happened in Hawaii when I was surfing big waves at a place called Honolii on the Big Island,I was around 16 yrs old and we went out to catch the big storm breakers about 20 ft plus measured from the back of the wave,I got caught in a set of waves and almost drowned from being pounded by the waves and I told God if I make it thru I'd go to church and man I think God lives.You haven't lived until you rode one of those 20 foot waves and being locked in a curl.Bonzi

I just assumed everybody had close calls almost everytime they rode. Maybe I don't ride normally. Maybe I'm an idiot. I doubt it.

BP...you're 20 years old? The species must be evolving faster than I thought. When I was 20 I couldn't even think straight let alone put sentences together like that.

You've got to learn to act your age on this board. Drool a little, challenge everybody on the board to a knife fight then a pink slips drag race...stuff like that.

On second thought, maybe you should do the drag races first, before the knife fights.

Blood can make your throttle hand slippy.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 09 December 1999).]

Good point B.P. I always get a chuckle when the guys at work brag about their riding lawn mower or bringing the minivan up to 95mph! Or sneaking out to a strip club.Ah living on the edge :).

I couldn't possibly list all my close calls and besides, I hate reading extra long posts so I won't make you guys do it. Lets just say I have one huge horseshoe stuck up my a*s. I'm happy to say though that my years of experience have saved me a number of times.

Back