Buying (Old) New Bikes

2k4_8

Registered
A local dealership has a red/black '05 that they have been sitting on. It is a new bike. I know that it is a bad thing for vehicles to sit too long. Hoses start drying up, things can get corroded etc etc. Would it be a bad thing to buy now that it's been sitting for 4 years? I was thinking of buying a k8/k9 but I may just get something cheaper and live below my means to have extra money, but nothing but a hayabusa seems to really strike me. So what do you all think? I was also thinking that maybe they would let me rape them a little on the price since they have been sitting on it for so long, like maybe 7500-8000...is that unreasonable?

I would not pay any more than that. Condition should not be much of an issue,provided it was not filled with any gas. Letus know how you decide.:beerchug:

If it's never had gas or battery in it, it's still a new bike. No problems there.
As for price, they are a stealership, pay as little as possible for it. KBB (for my zip code) lists it's retail value at $8050 used, so your in line on your offer.
Keep us informed on how it goes.:thumbsup:

Great Caeser's ghost! ??? I have never heard of a bike being in a dealership that long with out being sold!

There's other issues with mechanical devices sitting motionless that long also. Was it rolled around the showroom floor every week? has the crank been turned regularly?

You can find other deals, especially this time of the year. If you rolled that thing back in to trade it a few months (for some reason) they would not give you J_A_C_K for it. Go for a discounted '08.

You can find leftover 07's for that price. I'd go with the newer bike unless you have to have the red/black. The blue 07' is the fastest color anyway. :poke:

If you buy it, make sure you get the full warranty and even the extended warranty on it. Might save you some bux.

--Wag--

I would spend some more and get a newer one. I don't know why, it's not logical. I guess I'm stupid....

I got an 04 that was sitting 4 years. It had gas in it and the tank and fuel pump were clogged with rust. So as long as it doesn't have any fuel in it then you should be fine. But I also agree with the Warrenty.:thumbsup: Go for it.

I got an 04 that was sitting 4 years. It had gas in it and the tank and fuel pump were clogged with rust. So as long as it doesn't have any fuel in it then you should be fine. But I also agree with the Warrenty.:thumbsup: Go for it.

Wow...this can really happen? How long does it take for this to happen...and is there anyway to prevent it? No that my bike sits for more then a week without riding it :laugh:

Wow. Thats a looong time. I'd rape em'. They have to be itching to get rid of it. If you do get it make them throw in the extended warranty as part of the deal. Dont let them blow smoke up your butt. Give what YOU want for it. The cards are in your favor cause you dont have to get it you have other possible better plans. good luck

I'd go for it, but not at $7,500-$8,000. No way.
I just bought an '07 for less than that. Only 8,000 miles, and two model years newer.
So for an '05, I'd go $6,000, $6,500, max. Even if it does have zero miles.

CW

Back