buying a new vehicle

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
Hi everyone,

This is not motorcycle related so if that is your only interest please move along;)

So here is my dilemma:

I have 2 people in my household, myself and my wife.

The problem is we have 5 vehicles.

My Busa
Her Ninja
Her Miata MX-5
My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Our 4WD pickup (for hauling garden stuff.)

All vehicles are in near perfect condition.

I would like to eliminate 2 and get one new one. My thoughts were to trade in the Eclipse and the MX-5 and get her a new Nissan Z for her Birthday on September 1st.

Do dealerships take multiple trade-ins? Honestly I am not worried about the money portion (I want to be fair of course) I just want to trim down my vehicle count by 1 and maybe get her a nice birthday present.

So has anyone had experience trading in multiple vehicles?

Thanks!

-Spike

You can always trade in more than one. The problem comes in with getting what there worth out of the Dealer. Your best bet would be to try to sell the cars out right and then focus on getting a new one. That is unless they give you a really great deal on the two.
beerchug.gif

+1 on the last advice-dealers will pay more for "hotter" cars that they can move fast, but if you are after a model that they have in stock and want to get rid of, they'll be more willing to give more $$ for your trade-ins just to get their car off the lot...look for dealers with a big inventory; they'll be more likely to have something you want on hand.

Yes they will take two trades...but you will get much more for them if you sell them yourself
beerchug.gif

he said he didn't care about money.. so yes go trade, for the Z..
bowdown.gif

I traded a 2000 Chevy Ext. and a 2004 Grand Prix for my 2006 Crew Cab.

My best advice is to find a vehicle you want at a dealership and write down all the options that it has. Go to edmunds.com and research that vehicle. it will give you the invoice cost. from there you are better equipped to deal with a salesman at a dealership knowing about what they can work with...there is more, but this will get you in the game.
beerchug.gif

Good luck...I am currently in the research process for 2007 Trailblazer SS.

Dealers will give you $2k less for each car, at least that . You might save some on taxes tho..

I wish I had your dilemma...
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the input folks.

I am glad to hear we can trade 2 in. One of the main reason I am not so worried about getting less for a trade-in is that the savings on taxes really cuts down on the loss you would take off a private sale. Also, selling privately just is a hassle to me.

We are currently looking at a black Nissan Z, or a Silver Steel Metallic Chrysler 300.

Does anyone have any experience with either? We like them both. The 300 is more "practical" for us as it will be our only car (nevermind the truck.) That Nissan Z is just sharp though.

Wow, your a dealerships perfect customer. May i suggest an Infinity G35 instead. Built on the same platform, but much nicer. Think of it as a luxury 350Z.

GM: is that because I am letting them take advantage of me?

Please explain.

I will look at the Infinity, thank you.

Let me clarify: GM.

I am not concerned with the money part because I know enough about that part to not need too much advice. A little loss for not having the hassle of a private sale is worth it to me.

I wasn't trying to say I was loaded and just throw my money away. I may have not been clear.

I am still trying to justify new exhaust for my 1 year old completely stock Hayabusa that I ride every single day.
smile.gif
SHOCKED.gif

Spike, I have been in the car business for over 20 years, and I sell new and used Honda and Nissan vehicles. If you would PM me with the options and trim level, There are many trim levels on a 350Z, I will get you the pricing info you need to judge what kind of deal you are being offered on the new car. Most dealers look at what is called a Manheim report. That report gives the dealer data on what cars like the ones you want to trade, sell for at auction. Keep in mind, if you are trading a car that the dealer can recondition and sell retail , they will be more likely to give a higher trade value than a car they would have to wholsale. The Manheim report is just a guide , as are Kelly blue book, NADA black book and others. Some people expect the dealer to sell the new car at invoice, and put retail in their trade in. Good luck getting that deal. That would be as bad of a deal for the dealership as it would be for you if the dealer expected you to pay sticker for the new car, and give you wholesale for your trade. A dealer has a big investment in his business and deserves to make a reasonable profit. The way to go about this is to find the invoice cost for the vehicle, and to find out what incentives, if any, are available from the manufacturer. This will help you find the net cost of the vehicle. Add in a profit for the dealer you are willing to pay, $200-$500 is reasonable on most vehicles unless the new car you want is in high demand and supply is limited. Use the sources available to you to help you determine what your trade in is worth (trade value) and you shoud have the information you need to make an educated decision. One thing I would also recommend, If you will be financing, go to your bank or credit union and get prequalified for a loan so you know the interest rate you can get. Most of the time, the lenders the dealer uses will match or beat what you can get on your own, saving you more cash. Make sure you also know EVERYTHING that is included in any payment quoted to you, such as extended warranties, life and disability insurance, gap coverage insurance ( pays any difference in what your payoff is on the vehicle, and what the insurance company wants to settle for if your car is totalled or stolen), anti theft products, etc. etc. And yes, any dealer will trade for more than one vehicle. One more thing. I sell mostly preowned vehicles. I have sold almost every brand and model of car there is. If you like a different vehicle every few years, you should consider the resale value of the vehicles you are looking at. Look at kelly blue book at a 2 year old Chrysler 300, and a 2 year old 300Z. Both nice cars but big difference in resale value. Hope this helps

Go to your nearest Mercedes Dealer, and you will never look back. When you fall asleep at night, you will do so with a Benz in the Garage. When you wake up, Benz in the garage!
beerchug.gif
Solves the re-sale value problem. Prices are better than you would expect on some classes (such as the C and E class), and fit, finish, quality, service, etc... is amazing. Everytime I bring one of my two benzes in for anything (service and everything included for 4 years), they detail the car fully inside and out. Chrysler and Nissan will never give you the service plan, nor the red carpet treatment. Once you test drive one, you will be sold.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Back