Buying a used vehicle in florida

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
My Son sold his jeep, pretty old vehicle (like 20 years old)
Guy comes over and test drives it, drives o.k.
My Son discloses (he's an honest guy) everything
he knows is wrong with it. It was a work in progress.

So the guy buys it and drives away. 1 hour later the tranny goes out,
and he demands his money back and the jeep is sitting on the side of
the road.

SOooo...who's jeep is it and is my Son obligated to refund his money?

Did he tell him about the transmission? If so I'd say he wasn't obligated to do anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

No obligation at all. Used vehciles are sold as is...

Its a done deal, sorry for the guys luck, btu its a crap shoot with used private party sales, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

He didn't say anything about the tranny, it was working fine.

And there is no lemon law in florida...

Not trying to screw anybody out of his money but like my Son
said..."If I bought a used vehicle from a private seller and drove it
home and something happened, I'd oh crap and that'd be the end of it"
you go from there.

Sorry the vehicle is sold as is. No warranty implied. Let him file a civil suit if he is so adamant about it.

Vehicle is sold as-is...no guarantees in life unless your son extended him a warranty. The buyer could have trashed the tranny by not shifting it right. Your son should keep the money.

I bought a Jeep last year. The tranny basically did the same thing to me. Used vehicles are as is. There is not much he can do, and no responsibility for your son. As-is. It's the defining statement in buying a used vehicle from a private seller. It happens. He was told it was a work in progress.

When John sells something like that he always makes out an agreement that they have to sign, that when they leave our property we are no longer responsible. They sign and John signs it. It has always worked for us.

AS IS !!! but on the other hand its Florida and people are A-Holes and if he knows where you live, might just deal with the broken jeep instead of the headache the guy could cause at the house.

AS IS !!! but on the other hand its Florida and people are A-Holes and if he knows where you live, might just deal with the broken jeep instead of the headache the guy could cause at the house.

Yep, i agree. Dude knows where you live. Man this is tough.......I mean I would be pissed off if it broke on me after an hour. But it is an as is sale. You would most likely win in a court of law.....unless a judge does something really fishy. But it may bring more trouble than it is worth to you.

Sounds like a really crappy situation.

Back