Buying a hayabusa

mook9304

Registered
I am planning on buying a Hyabusa in about two months. I am interested in hearing what other owners have to say. Are they easy to control? Is overhaeting is a problem? Do they support bigger guys good enough? Are there any common problems I would need to be aware of? Has anyone had any unusual problems specific to this certain bike? Any opinions (good or bad) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions! Ray

Hello and welcome. In my humble opinion I believe that the Busa is easy to handle. While it is not as flickable as some of the other bikes out there such as the gsxr 750 and gsxr 1000, due to it's weight, it still handles very very well. The acceleration is very quick and smooth. I have heard of a few that over heated but I believe that most of those were due to fan relay / sensor problems or air not being removed from the cooling system properly. I have a 06 limited edition and to date I have had zero problems with mine. From what I have read here so far we have all different size of owners operating the Busa. I am 5"10 210 lbs and probably about in the middle of the height and weight scale, right guys? ;D Well I'm sure some of the other members will chime in here as they wake up, as for me I am the night shift and am going to call it a day. Hope this helps.

I have an '06 that I have put 7,500 miles on since April. So far--ZERO problems. I was a little apprehensive at first--all the power and stuff. Start easy with the bike, keep is below 5,000 rpm. It can be a very docile machine and easy to handle. It never feels like a 500lb bike. You will be tempted to take her to redline--resist that temptation until you feel comfortalbe handling it. I'm 6'6", 205 lbs and the bike fits me fine. The most painful part will be the smile that never leaves your face! Enjoy and be safe!!!!

I am planning on buying a Hyabusa in about two months. I am interested in hearing what other owners have to say.  Are they easy to control?  Is overhaeting is a problem?  Do they support bigger guys good enough?  Are there any common problems I would need to be aware of?  Has anyone had any unusual problems specific to this certain bike? Any opinions (good or bad) would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!           Ray
1) The Busa is very easy to control if you control your right wrist. Handling is excellent from stock, although you will probably need to set up your suspention to your needs. The Busa is probably the easiest Super Power bike to ride .

2) Overheating is NOT a problem unless you do alot of stop and go in the summer heat and traffic. But, there are fixes to that, that you can find here. By the way, most to all bikes have a heating problem of some kind in stop and go heavy traffic summer driving. Just to a different degree ! I have a couple of other superbikes, during the HOT summer, one fries your inner legs and the other roast you BUTT !!!

3) Big Guys, well we have some 250 to 300 lbs guys here on the board and they LOVE the bike !

4) Common Problems
rock.gif
Yea, it's hard to stay off and ride
biggrin.gif

5) Unusual problems, Yea, I have to say NO alot to people who want to ride it
laugh.gif
and the Mods keep going and going and going. With me thinking of more and more mods

wink.gif

Great to hear!

I started reading and getting informed months before I arrived at the dealer with a check in hand - good to see someone else asking questions.

I moved from a Gold Wing to the Busa last Xmas. I HAD to have a sport bike and was actually going to get an R1 until I started reading and asking questions at the dealers. One thing that still sticks in my mind is one sales person saying 'with this one, you'll not have to upgrade'. Roger that!

Handling wise; the Hayabusa is a Jeckyll and Hyde deal. It is very docile in parking lots and flawlessly stable at low speeds It buzzes along like one of those little electric toy airplanes attached by wire to the battery pack.
On the flip side, the bike has very harsh acceleration - with very little urging you are suddenly sitting on a missile!
Fastest production bike in the world. Those words were just marketing jargon til I sat on one and realized that in one city block it would do 140!
Like Molly Hatchet said in the song 'Flirting with Disaster', "it aint for everybody"..

I am 6'1" and weigh 210. To me, the bike is not comfortable (a Gold Wing is comfortable).
But pursuit of comfort is not why I bought a Hayabusa. Risers, seats, adustable rear sets... there are tons of ways to make it better so dont sweat that.

Mine has never over heated nor have I ever had the first hint of a problem with it - we are rolling close to 3000 miles. Suzuki has been making this bike for years and they have it dialed in!

In all, the Hayabusa is a wonderful bike. Its great looking, stable, dependable, has a cult following and a huge aftermarket accessory base and people notice them - sexy and powerful!

I am still learning this bike and there are really not many bike specific topics around here I can speak to. But I can speak to what it is like coming off of a touring rig at 40 years old and starting one of these beasts up and taking it for a ride!

I dont ride the Wing anymore
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|YH2K
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155474412 -->

First things first. Welcome to the only place you need to be to find the answers to all your questions!

One word of advice. Make a big cup of coffee and sit back and surf this place! The Search button will help big time. You will not find a more solid starting point as far as a motorcycle goes than the busa. It can and will do anything you have a mind to with little more than an occasional oil change and a fresh rear tire. The Hayabusas appetite for rear tires is unprecedented, its reliabilty and strength legendary. It is equally at home being dragraced, roadraced, toured, commuted, cruised, top speed tested etc like no other vehicle on the road.

To answer your question does it overheat? Not in my experience but as you will read there are products available to alleviate this if you do partake in a lot of traffic or hot weather. Aftermarket fans, coolants etc. are readily available.
Does it fit big folks? Absolutely! If you read around on here you will find that large folk are very prevalent here. I am one of em. The ergonomics of the busa are not for everyone as delivered. The presence of a flourishing aftermarket will remedy this in short order. Seats, bars, windshields and pegs are all available in a variety of flavors to suit anyone.

I am planning on buying a Hyabusa in about two months. I am interested in hearing what other owners have to say.  Are they easy to control?  Is overhaeting is a problem?  Do they support bigger guys good enough?  Are there any common problems I would need to be aware of?  Has anyone had any unusual problems specific to this certain bike? Any opinions (good or bad) would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!           Ray
I weigh 220, and have had my bike since Feb- The only thing that took me some time getting used to, was making turns with this bike- I had a Katana before and it went wherever I leaned, almost immediately. But this bike, when I first started riding it, reminded me of the scene in TITANIC when they hit the iceberg.. They had the rudder turned all the way, and just had to sit and wait for the thing to respond in kind.

Once you learn to compensate for that, you're good in my book. Good luck!

BUSAFETT

if you get ignorant with it, it'll get ignorant with you..e.g. know your situation and potential outcomes before you just twist the throttle wide open or do something crazy. The Busa is one of the easiest bikes to ride that I have ridden. Extremely stable, comfortable, and controllable unlike some of the liter bikes which feel like you are riding a two-stroke dirt bike on the street. Back to comfort, I have an 05 Honda ST1300 and for me, the Busa is more comfortable on the wrists and back than the ST with MCL risers. Something about the angle I guess but I know I don't get that tingly hand feeling after ridding 100 miles on the Busa. Simply put, had I bought a Busa 5 years ago, I would still own it because it's that good.

I have an 04. No real problems. As for size, I'm 6'10" 350+ lbs, and I LOVE it. I've ridden it 4 hours on the interstate with no real problems in comfort. Get it, respect it, LOVE IT!!!
biggrin.gif

+1 what everyone says.

Add to it the most reliable hypersport on the market.

BTW-Mine is FOR SALE. See sig for details and PM me is you're interested.

Im a fat ####### weighing 300+. Just got mine about 3 weeks ago. Rode it in 100+ degree weather and the needle never went past half. Comfy? Yes. I admit I do wear gel padded gloves to absorb some of the buzz from the handlebars. Will be adding bar end weight along with gel grips. Double bubble also on order so I can see the guages better. Brutal fast....and this is coming from a ZX11 owner!
PS: Im selling my zx11 if any 1 is interested

I always said I would never buy a busa...then I rode one around the block and fell in love. Two weeks later, I had one in my garage.

Back