Butchering of the nat. anthem

Lamb busa

50 warming to 70 again
Donating Member
Registered
Did anybody hear the anthem singer before the Nascar race at California besides Lamb? This fool forgot some words. He forgot, "by the dawns early light, what so proudly we hail at the twilights last gleaming".
Jesse Mccartney. Lamb will try to find it in youtube or something.

He sounded real nervous and got heckled, as he should have.

Singers have long complained about remembering the lyrics ??? and the range needed :whistle:

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I don't see the problem... :poke:

I kid.

Singers have long complained about remembering the lyrics ??? and the range needed :whistle:

It was hard work to fight for this country's freedoms and rights, and continues to be so.
I think if you are asked to sing the anthem of the greatest gift ever given to this world, then DAD GUM IT you better learn to do it right! Nothing bothers me more than simple lazieness of our people who others are working so hard to defend.
Sorry Rant Over.
Bubba
Scar used this one at the stampede and I think it is one of the best versions I have ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Event organizers try and get the big name artist or whoever is "hot" at the time just to try and get more audience approval. Problem is it almost always backfires on them. Jesse McCartney is a perfect example. He is a current tween "hit" singer that probably sounds like shid w/out a good voice processor behind him in a studio.
And these events expect him to come out and nail the National Anthem or the Star Spangled Banner!? ??? Please!

Just get a no-name singer that has a nice voice and sings them on a weekly basis and isn't going to embarrass themselves by forgetting the words. The crowd will be just as happy. After all.....we're there to see the main event.

It was hard work to fight for this country's freedoms and rights, and continues to be so.
I think if you are asked to sing the anthem of the greatest gift ever given to this world, then DAD GUM IT you better learn to do it right! Nothing bothers me more than simple lazieness of our people who others are working so hard to defend.
Sorry Rant Over.
Bubba
Scar used this one at the stampede and I think it is one of the best versions I have ever heard.

Sorry Lamb, did not mean to jack your thread with this, and No, I did not even see the version you were referring to.
I just get a little PO'd at bad and disrespectful singers.
Bubba

I saw the guy sing the national anthem at the race and he just butchered it. It was a complete lack of respect for those that have fought for our country, past and present. I hope he totally regrets taking the job to sing the national anthem. He had only one job to do and it's not like they came to him an hour before the race and asked him to sing the anthem. This just goes to show you how lazy some people are.

Sorry Rant Over.
Bubba

:usa: I completely agree, Bubba. Those girls did an awesome job. No other song brings a sense of pride and a tear for the fallen quite like this one. It should be performed with grace and respect. :usa:

Back