Busa's can't corner?? says Ducati?

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
This had to be the best time at Moto GP this weekend. Did about 900 trouble free miles, took in all the sights and sounds. Stopped by the Ducati extravaganza. What a show! One of the Ducati big wigs was talking to me about taking curves etc. then he said Ahh you're Busa can't turn? I stared at him for a minute without saying anything. Now I think this guy thought he was funny but it didn't go over well. Finally after an uncomfortable amount of silence I said I dunno I don't have a problem. He said he was only kidding. I said oh..okay I just didn't know what you meant because I really don't have a problem in the corners. This was the first time I've ever encountered anyone saying that to me or about a bike I ride and honestly I didn't know what to say. Where do they get these ideas? I think the Busa is unfairly stereo typed. Lots of younger owners, the custom thing and the straightline speed thing. I had to learn how to make this bike perform just like you would have to learn any new bike you were riding. I almost felt like a guy riding a Sportster and having someone call it a "girls bike?" I must of caught and passed a dozen Harleys and sport bikes of all types, sizes and shapes with young and old riders going through the curves this weekend. I just never gave it a thought that this bike doesn't turn? Well I'm doing my part to change the perception of the Busa.... :) that's all I can do.

PS Met up with Brightman, cool dude, nice guy. He enjoyed his first Moto GP! Good luck on fining your bike this week. Wardie

I'm planning on attending the upcoming advanced riders course here soon on the busa just to see what else I can learn well and to become a better rider of course. Funny turning was never a problem for me either

i have the same problem convincing my friends. they all think it cant turn.. i say 'hmm.. odd that i passed you on that last turn then isnt it?'

when i did the fort hood sport bike rider class. there were only 3 busa's in the bunch. the other two were ridden by guys that dont ride much. all day long i heard the 1L and under riders talking crap about how we werent going to be able to keep up on the course. when we got to it, i convinced the instructors to start me in front (no passing allowed)... after just three laps i had looped all the way around and was behind the last rider. finally the instructoors let me go by myself because i was moving faster than the little guys. since no passing was allowed it was becoming very boring for me to ride at the back of the pack.

in the end, at the close out of the course.. no one was talking crap anymore. they were all too tired to ride anymore too. I asked and got to stay an extra hour making trips around the circuit! :laugh:

yep yep..glad you had fun wardie..wish i coulda been there

I think I'm going to start carrying around a picture of a few board members doing some tight corners around in my pocket just to show these a@@ clowns what I think of those comments...

The busa turns just fine for a big fat chick. The problem with these "busa can't turn" threads is usually the posters confuse turning with cornering. Two entirely different topics. Turning is tiping into a corner and changing directions. Cornering has three different sections, Braking, Turning and Exiting. None of which the busa does well. It does it okay if you are playing but it falls on it's face if you are serious.

None of you and I mean NONE of you are going to spank a 600 on the twisties with your busa. You can, and I have too, spank a rider on a 600 but that's only because the rider is lacking your skills. I challenge anyone with a busa, to show up at a road race track where you have twisties without deer, old men with hats on driving a pickup, joggers and bicyclist and compete with a bone stock gsxr600. You will not only get spanked, but you will get embrassed. I know, I've tried and it don't work. Although the liter bikes are only 3 seconds faster at out track than the 600's they will embarrass you even worse. You can't pull away from a liter bike on the straights. They may not pass you when the throttle is pegged but they certainly will pass you on the brakes at the first corner.

I have never seen a busa that would get within ten seconds of a 600. Do that for ten laps and you can see how easily a 600 will lap even the best busa riders.

This has been a lude point since time began but for some, it will never sink in! Well, until they come out to the track where their skills can really shin and spank that fat chick's arse through one corner after another while watching a 600 quickly disappear into the distance like a ghost in the darkness.

I'm not bashing your beloved busa, I love my busa and enjoy it as much as any of you. But it would be nice if everyone understood their busa's limitations. I'm simply pointing out there is a world of difference in turning and cornering and turning and cornering well. I know it offends many who hear "Your busa don't turn". And that is BS, it turns just fine for what it is! Guys that make statements like this don't know much about cornering either. The busa is what it is and there is nothing you can do to it to make it compete with the real corner carvers. :beerchug:

The busa turns just fine for a big fat chick. The problem with these "busa can't turn" threads is usually the posters confuse turning with cornering. Two entirely different topics. Turning is tiping into a corner and changing directions. Cornering has three different sections, Braking, Turning and Exiting. None of which the busa does well. It does it okay if you are playing but it falls on it's face if you are serious.

None of you and I mean NONE of you are going to spank a 600 on the twisties with your busa. You can, and I have too, spank a rider on a 600 but that's only because the rider is lacking your skills. I challenge anyone with a busa, to show up at a road race track where you have twisties without deer, old men with hats on driving a pickup, joggers and bicyclist and compete with a bone stock gsxr600. You will not only get spanked, but you will get embrassed. I know, I've tried and it don't work. Although the liter bikes are only 3 seconds faster at out track than the 600's they will embarrass you even worse. You can't pull away from a liter bike on the straights. They may not pass you when the throttle is pegged but they certainly will pass you on the brakes at the first corner.

I have never seen a busa that would get within ten seconds of a 600. Do that for ten laps and you can see how easily a 600 will lap even the best busa riders.

This has been a lude point since time began but for some, it will never sink in! Well, until they come out to the track where their skills can really shin and spank that fat chick's arse through one corner after another while watching a 600 quickly disappear into the distance like a ghost in the darkness.

I'm not bashing your beloved busa, I love my busa and enjoy it as much as any of you. But it would be nice if everyone understood their busa's limitations. I'm simply pointing out there is a world of difference in turning and cornering and turning and cornering well. I know it offends many who hear "Your busa don't turn". And that is BS, it turns just fine for what it is! Guys that make statements like this don't know much about cornering either. The busa is what it is and there is nothing you can do to it to make it compete with the real corner carvers. :beerchug:
Could not agree more with this... and even at barely competitive lap times on the Busa? you gotta be superman to keep the pace... I have run 1500 track miles this year on the Busa and it has been a real learning experience... My personal notes on this?

it takes twice the effort to make half the time..

It is a lumbering beast that can be a ton of fun but is so far from competitive in stock form, well... dont bother...

Even after a ton of $$ in suspension mods, it still takes so much effort to run hard that after 8 or 10 laps, you have the fatigue of a guy on a 600 that has run 40 laps.. (and you are still close to a second per corner slower) as far as the power of the bike goes? most of the liter bikes will run right along side the Busa until you have used up 1500' of straight.. they have a weight/power advantage that is only lost at the very top end of the MPH limits on a long straight... what a pain...

just hard to defeat "Physics" that said? I am having a ball on the busa but I want/need a bike with a lot less "mass"

Yes, the guys are all pretty surprised just how well the machine does but it is hard on the bike, tires, and most of all the rider... Ever seen a warm-up bat for a ball player?

And SteveO? I hate you..... you got me into this friggen track crack...

Last edited:
i have the same problem convincing my friends. they all think it cant turn.. i say 'hmm.. odd that i passed you on that last turn then isnt it?'

when i did the fort hood sport bike rider class. there were only 3 busa's in the bunch. the other two were ridden by guys that dont ride much. all day long i heard the 1L and under riders talking crap about how we werent going to be able to keep up on the course. when we got to it, i convinced the instructors to start me in front (no passing allowed)... after just three laps i had looped all the way around and was behind the last rider. finally the instructoors let me go by myself because i was moving faster than the little guys. since no passing was allowed it was becoming very boring for me to ride at the back of the pack.

in the end, at the close out of the course.. no one was talking crap anymore. they were all too tired to ride anymore too. I asked and got to stay an extra hour making trips around the circuit! :laugh:

I love this story!!! :beerchug:

On the outside you're all :whistle:, but on the inside it's all :rofl:

Good one!

Yes I agree with the 600 comments. My follow up response with the Ducati people was.... it's not the best at Deals Gap and I have to work to keep up but it really shines on those long sweepers at Cherolha Skyway. It doesn't like the left/right/left/right it likes long left/long right/long left/long right...

It's big, long wheel base and heavy but it's not some sort of slow a** tank as some would make it out to be. My CBR 900 RR woukld carve it in the corners but... I like the Busa on so many fronts. I have about 10K on her this year loaded up traveling, doing distance at speed and an occassional go around in the twisties and just hanging at bike nights. It does a lot of things well but as tufbusa noted tight switch back twisties aren't one of them.

PS: I think the Ducati guys were talking about street riding . Hey I'd love to have a Ducati to sit in my garage and polish then take out for 2 hours on Sunday ripping the corners. Guess what that ain't me. I don't polish and I try and ride a lot so no Ducati for me.

This had to be the best time at Moto GP this weekend. Did about 900 trouble free miles, took in all the sights and sounds. Stopped by the Ducati extravaganza. What a show! One of the Ducati big wigs was talking to me about taking curves etc. then he said Ahh you're Busa can't turn? I stared at him for a minute without saying anything. Now I think this guy thought he was funny but it didn't go over well. Finally after an uncomfortable amount of silence I said I dunno I don't have a problem. He said he was only kidding. I said oh..okay I just didn't know what you meant because I really don't have a problem in the corners. This was the first time I've ever encountered anyone saying that to me or about a bike I ride and honestly I didn't know what to say. Where do they get these ideas? I think the Busa is unfairly stereo typed. Lots of younger owners, the custom thing and the straightline speed thing. I had to learn how to make this bike perform just like you would have to learn any new bike you were riding. I almost felt like a guy riding a Sportster and having someone call it a "girls bike?" I must of caught and passed a dozen Harleys and sport bikes of all types, sizes and shapes with young and old riders going through the curves this weekend. I just never gave it a thought that this bike doesn't turn? Well I'm doing my part to change the perception of the Busa.... :) that's all I can do.

PS Met up with Brightman, cool dude, nice guy. He enjoyed his first Moto GP! Good luck on fining your bike this week. Wardie

:thumbsup: You a better man than me, cause I am pretty sarcastic ass hat an would have gone with the reflex action an just said "I heard Ducati is just an over priced Canyon Cutter for the rich that could get it's ass handed to it by any Japanese liter bike on the market on a track or in the street for 1/2 it's price":laugh: I like the Ducs just a defense mechanism in me. :laugh: is sometimes automatic. I get :poke: by someone I don't even know i usually :flamethrowing:

I love this story!!! :beerchug:

On the outside you're all :whistle:, but on the inside it's all :rofl:

Good one!

:rofl:

yeah...I'm not even going to get into the "cant turn, can't corner, can't ....whatever"

Wardie....Glad you had a great time at the Indy. Be happy you were there, because Fox's coverage was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen :banghead:

How cool was it that Nicky got 3rd!?? :cheerleader:

The entire race weekend was awesome. When I wasn't watching qualifing I was in the pits. When I wasn't in the pits I watched racing. When I wasn't at the track I was downtown on Meridian Street. And when I got tired of that I went to the hotel grab a few beers and went to the indoor pool where I watched the bikini clad 20 somethings cavorting around. Yes it was all good. I met up with Brightman from the .org. A nice guy who had a problem with his Busa stalling and not restarting. I told him to post it to get help. The Ducati guys were fun though. I honestly think they didn't realize what they said becuase they weren't mean or anything just matter of fact. I had a great time with their seminar guys. Ducati's (newer ones) are camshaft belt drive. I asked is that maintenance that a guy at home can do? he said oh no you need a tension-mometer! What the devil is that. They actually tweak the belt and put this hand held decimeter next to it. When they get the right pitch it's good. I said oh man that's a good one buddy...why with the high maintenance costs of setting valves and now the belts I sure as heck come up with a gadgetlike a tension-mometer to ease the pain of high dollar maintenance. That's classic! It was all good though. My friend has a Ducati as well as other bikes and he proudly pays those maintenance costs and takes her out once or twice a week blitzing the corners. he's a former road racer and still pretty good. He had nothing but good to say about my Busa. He drove his 1995 Kawasaki GPZ 1100. Man that's a classic bike, way cool. Wardie

Back