Busa wheels

ZX10Hef

Registered
Trying to put gen 2 busa wheels on our gen 1 busa. What will it take to nake them fit? Do you need a gen 2 rear caliper brake bracket for them to fit? I know it can be done but trying to figure this out. Thanks

I dunno....... Sorry, I was gonna do the same thing, that's why I checked out your thread. Wish I had some real input but........ I dunno. :dunno:

the top 2 pics are the rear brake caliper bracket that is stock for my 05 (99-07) busa
and the bottom 2 pics are of the wheels, first is the stock wheel for Gen1 and bottom is the stock wheel for Gen2.

DSC02176.JPG

DSC02177.JPG

DSC02178.JPG

DSC02179.jpg

ZX10Hef, yes it can be done but it isn't a straight bolt on. I've done it because I wanted to have my back wheel match my front which is now Gen 2 as I'd already done the relatively straight forward Gen 2 front end swap which has been described here many times before.

The main basic problem is that the rear sprocket on the Gen 2 wheel does not perfectly line up with the Gen 1 front sprocket so there are custom spacers required and also some machining of the inside of the Gen 2 sprocket carrier as the sprocket distance from wheel centreline is slightly different also. NO the sprocket carrier from the Gen 1 can't be used because it is not compatible with the Gen 2 wheel. Even with this I ended up reversing my sprocket to get the alignment just right, as the sprocket has some slight offset.

You also need to use the Gen 2 brake setup as the Gen 1 caliper fouls on the Gen 2 wheel hub if you try to use it because the Gen 1 caliper is dual piston and much fatter on the inside than the Gen 2 caliper and the Gen 1 caliper bracket won't work anyway as the discs are 260mm on the Gen 2 and 240mm on the Gen 1 so the bracket is too short and 'no' they aren't interchangeable. As a result you also need to get a bracket welded on the inside of your Gen 1 swingarm that the Gen 2 caliper bracket will lock into.
I also used the Gen 2 rear master cylinder as I understand the ratios are different.

This is all do-able by decent engineer but in hindsight I should probably have just lived with the different wheels.

Back