BUSA OVERHEATING

dbankhotbusa

Registered
Need help!! I just flushed my radiator and now she wants to overheat, and my fan doesn't want to come on. I checked the connection for the fanand even applied pwr to it to make sure it works. I also checked the fan relay and it's good (I followed the svc manual). The only thing other thing that it could be, is the sensor it self. Anybody got any other ideals. Also when I shut off my bike,  my reserve damn near fills up. Is that normal. And after about 30min of cool down it's at just below the full mark. Here is a pic of the reserve after shut down.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....593.jpg

you got air bubbles in your system... needs to be "burped" or your thermostat is fried...

I did the fan temp switch relocator mod prior to the rad fluid chg. I notice my fan didn't come on at all. I verified it works with a 12v pwr supply. And it never came on. Regardless if the thermostat is not working, the fan should have turned on I would think?

I also checked out the fan relay and it checks out good as well. I'm at a loss at how I could have two components go out at the same time. It's just not likely. but anything can happen. Someone mentioned that if the bike overheated, depending how long it stayed in the red that I could have possibly burnt the thermostat. Anyone have a fix for my situation? I've just ordered a new thermostat & fan temp sensor just incase.
sad.gif

You disconnected the fan at the connector right off the fan itself and placed 12 volts on it, ensuring proper polarity ? You can bench check the thermostat with an ohm meter in the kitchen. It should close at 221 F and open at 212 F.

Apparently it's easy to damage this switch. It would be highly unusual that someone has a working system, then ends up with multiple failed components.

Do you have the Service Manual ?

I used the service manual off this site, the 1999-2000 version. That's where I got info for checking the relay. I also bench checked the fan as well, it checked good. I will pull the temp switch and thermostat and check both of them. I just don't want to have to waste my Engine Ice. I'm kinda thinking it's my thermostat because I noticed that the hose that run to my water pump (left side) had no pressure on them, while the right side was full of pressure. Just nothing was happening.

Okay I'm still catching hell with my bike. I thought I'd start over fresh today. I pulled the thermostat out and checked it in a pot of boiling water and it opened. I just don't know at what temp the water was at. So I put everything back together. I leave the Rad cap off and let the bike idle. Well after fiftheen min my fluid starts surging out the rad opening. And then it really starting getting eroupting out of there, so I shut her down. Hey I'm at a total loss on this one. I was sqeezing the hose on both side. But it never got pressure on the RT side going into the water pump. Has anybody had this problem.

Also just for a little history, I 've done the fan temp relocator mod (fan temp switch now is on RT side ). Also my fan still did not come on even thou my temp gauge was at half way mark. Help I don't want to have to take it to the stearlership.
sad.gif
sad.gif

sad.gif

You have air in the system! Leave cap off, Fill radiator, Run bike, When water level starts to rise rev up engine 3000rpm to 4000rpm (this should cause the coolant level to drop) top off coolant install cap and let it idle a few mins. Now turn off bike let it cool down then remove cap and fill coolant again. Hope this helps!

Okay I should warm bike up to operating temp with cap off. Squeeze hoses and leave bike on kickstand. I done that. Either I let it run to long which caused it to start erupting back out of rad opening. I think I must of lost half of my engine ice. I guess I'll try it again Sat.
sad.gif

Man, I thought I had this overheating thang down. I took the bike out to make sure it was good to go as far as the temp goes. I rode about 3mi and pulled in my garage and let the bike idle for about 5mins and she got overheated. My fan never came on, and I can hear the fluid boiling in the reserve. The temp is around 60 degrees so I'm at a loss for why she overheated.

What I done on Sat, was pulled out the thermostat checked it in a pot of boiling water, and it opened, I just couldn't verify at what temp. I installed it back filled it up and let it get to temp and it was flowing through the radiator. I let it run for a couple of mins and shut it down and put the cap on and let her cool down. I checked it the next morning and the level was good. I button her back up and didn't really ride other then to test my speedohealer out.

I'm thinking I have a sticking thermostat. But what is confusing me is, why my fan never came on? but my engines temp light came on and the needle pegged to the red. I know the bike has a eng temp sensor to the left of the thermostat. What I think is happening is that the thermostat is staying closed there for causing the bike to read hot because it's not flowing and my fan is not coming on because on the RT side of the bike is where the fluid is just stuck and not getting hot enough to cause the fan to come on. I've done the fan temp relocator mod, so my fan temp sensor is on the right side of the radiator.

Can anyone provide any suggestions
sad.gif

Check your wiring to insure the wires are OK. You can tie them together at one end and check for continuity (sp?) on the other (with the key off of course). If your wires aren't conducting the signal appropriatly, the fan will never turn on. You don't feed the sensor with a hot + and ground - . If you've done this you need to replace it. The sensor operates the same as a light switch. It interrupts the flow of electricity until needed. The sensor can easily be replaced with a toggle switch or household light switch for testing. Attach one wire to each side of the switch and flip it on. If the fan fires with the key on, it's the sensor, If it doesn't, there's no power feeding the sensor... check the fuses.
The more you can eliminate the better.
You saw the Thermostat work but don't know at what temp so, remove the thermostat put it back together fill with fluid start the bike and verify the water pump is pumping water. If water flows, replace the thermostat.
By the process of elimination you WILL find the problem.
Good Luck

I'd still bet you have air in the system. When you squeeze the hoses can you hear air out of the cap or see bubbles popping? It can be frustrating, I know. I had to work at it for quite a while to get all the air out of mine. Do you have the rear on a stand? If so, revving the RPMs will help.

The only component I applied pwr to was at the connector of the fan switch. I had to verify that it worked because I had to extend it (Burned on headers). The fan temp sensor I didn't check because the manual said to place in oil and heat to temp and verify the resistance. I don't have a thermometer or anything mama would let me use to put oil in.

I will try removing the thermostat and letting it run to see if it will flow. I never thought of that. But before I put my bike back together Sun, It was flowing like a champ like. I thought I had it wiped. That's why I'm thinking it's a sticky thermostat. But I'm still puzzled about my fan not coming on? Is it because the fluids is not hot enough to turn on when it is not circlulating ?

Did you ever get this fixed?

I don't have any answers, but am curious.  I was burping mine today, and let the bike run on a rear stand with the radiator cap off.  Just like you the level was fine, then it started bubbling, then gushing out all over the floor.  I thought I was waiting for the level to go down, but it all bubbled out.  So I refilled the radiator and started the bike up, and a few minutes later it came back up to the top, so I shut it down again, for fear of making another mess.

Revving the engine seems to make it gush out even faster, not go down in level...I think.

Mike bike doesn't get hot like yours, but it did on a dyno, so I thought I might have had air in there.  I cleaned out my overflow jug, but now I don't have any more coolant left so it's almost empty.  I need to go get some more I guess.  Anyhow, I just wondered if you ever figured out what the problem was.

I'm not sure just yet? I did find out why my fine wasn't working "FUSE". I haven't really had gotten a good ong ride out of her yet. I went to Indy and had to replace battery, which I wanted to due, do to the fact I've been getting erracting reading's from my bluegauge/ HID. I do notice that my temp still reads a little high for me and it did get over the halfway mark, but this was prior to the battery swop, so the jury is still out on this one.

Can you say "FIVE BOTTLES OF ENGING ICE" That's what I eneded up using. Mines was doing the same thing. I just eventaully just let it cool down for several hours and checked the fuild level in my radiator, started the bike up and and waited to it began to flow in the rad, then I put the cap on and shut it down. And called it a day. Like I said it earlier, it still reads a little high form what it use to read before blueguage mod/HID mod.

(thebbbusa @ May 26 2007,18:51) Did you ever get this fixed?

I don't have any answers, but am curious.  I was burping mine today, and let the bike run on a rear stand with the radiator cap off.  Just like you the level was fine, then it started bubbling, then gushing out all over the floor.  I thought I was waiting for the level to go down, but it all bubbled out.  So I refilled the radiator and started the bike up, and a few minutes later it came back up to the top, so I shut it down again, for fear of making another mess.

Revving the engine seems to make it gush out even faster, not go down in level...I think.

Mike bike doesn't get hot like yours, but it did on a dyno, so I thought I might have had air in there.  I cleaned out my overflow jug, but now I don't have any more coolant left so it's almost empty.  I need to go get some more I guess.  Anyhow, I just wondered if you ever figured out what the problem was.
Leaving the bike on a stand and reving the engine does absolutely nothing when it comes to purging air.
rolleyes_extreme.gif

Fill the radiator up to the neck. Leave the cap off. Rock that bastard left and right as far as you can over and over. As air is purged the coolant level will drop. Top it off again up the neck (you'll probably need to add a quart if not more). Repeat above until it no longer drops.

Put cap back on, start engine and let it reach full operating temperature. Let the engine cool down and remove the cap and burp one last time.

I bet when the wire contacted the headers,it also blew the fuse.Air is always hard to remove from the system on a busa.

Sorry for a late post. I'm not convinced that my problems are solved just yet. What I mean by that is, When I was living in central TX I rode in mid 90-100 degree temp all the time and my bike barely creeped past the mid way mark. And during normal riding would stay below the half mark. I had engine ice as well. But now here in N. AL my bike stays too close to half mark then what I'm use to. And it hasn't really gotten hot hear. So that's my reasoning about my situation. She hasn't overheated yet!!

I dont mean to sounds contradicting to the whole situation, but are you sure your putting the thermostat in correctly....keep in mind it can open in teh "wrong" direction. ??

Back