Busa info/help

Ghost_Rider

Registered
I’m in the market to do one of two things. Buy an FJR1300 and sell the BMW and stay at 2 bikes. Or, keep the RT and the CBR, and pick up a Busa for those mid range days, 2up or short 3 day trips (if the route is right) solo, or whatever. The 3 bikes, RT, 900RR, and busa would give me a full range of bikes to work with on the street, but it will cost me more money in the long run.

Anyway, I’m not really asking for help with that diction, but feel free to add your 3 ½ cents.

What I would like to get more info on, is the differences between the years of 2001 and 2004 with the busa. I thought I heard they might have gimped the busa some in the later years, being that the speed wars are over. I’m not interested in having the FASTEST bike out there, but I don’t like the idea of a busa that’s missing its left testical either. I’m looking for a mid range SPORT-touring bike. FI is ok, but its not important either way imo. A nice solid rev without peaks and valleys is key to me. I like to see, and feel a nice solid line per a dyno, unlike the 04 R1 =)

Also, just from my limited searching about busas, it seams like the 02’s might be more prone to problems? Anyone else noticed this, or notice a year that wasn’t quite right and might have picked up the possibility of having more issues?

What are some of the major issues that could leave you stranded on the side of the road. Something that comes out of no where with no warning. The VFR has its dreaded RR issue, thought, it wont leave you stranded, I’m sure the busa has some of its own personal FU’s.

I’m sure there are luggage options and I have a short list of to do’s if I do pick up a busa (seat, extra lights, bigger screen, Full system, heated grips, heated jacket hook up and trollor, and a few other odds and ends).

Thanks for all your info/help. I’m still not sure what I’m going to do, but I hope whatever it is, it happens soon.

Wooa, I thought for sure you guys would jump all over this...

Anyway, I got this reponce on another board (not busa spacific) and I was wondering what you guys thought?

The steel sub frame is a big deal as I will be riding 2up and loaded at least 1/2 of the time. Do the new subframes have probmes if you change out the pipes??

2001-2004 are not the same. The 2001 is the first with a limiter on top speed, and it was done solely by adding the Timing Retard to 6th gear. The addition of a TRE (timing retard eliminator) to a 2001 eliminates the retard in 1st, 2nd and 6th gear, and thus de-restricting it. All of the Busas have a stock retarded timing for 1st and 2nd. For 2002 and later, a TRE alone does not eliminate the top end (top speed) limiter. It takes more to de-restrict a 2002-on than a 2001. I have never heard of a starter problem on a 2001, but have on the later 2002 and 2003. Also, 2001 and later do all have a steel subframe, which provides greater strength if you have a 4-1 exhaust installed and ride with a passenger and luggage. The deal is that the aluminum subframe was designed to have the exhaust work to provide some of its support. Going 4-1 eliminates a lot of its support and so the early aluminum subframes can't handle 2-up and luggage, failing at the mounting point to the main frame.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, man. It's me. From ST.N. Welcome!

The 'Busa is perfect for that kind of riding, but the FJR is nice. The '01 was the last one with the Al subframe, if I recall, and the new subframes are mighty strong and have no issues with aftermarket pipes (lots of people here have them).

I thought about the FJR when I got the 'Busa and decided that the 'Busa was just (at least potentially) way more fun. Plus, I have no idea where I'd get an FJR around here -- they're kind of hard to come by.

The 'Busa is mechanically simple, comfortable, handles well, and is fast. For absolute best results, the suspension should be adjusted for your weight and riding conditions (don't need aftermarket shocks, IMHO), and a stiffer seat might be nice.

(...The 'Busa's stock seat is loads better than the RT's, BTW...)

My HIDs obviate any need for accessory lighting, I have a GPS and V1 mounted in the cockpit, a powerlet for heated gear in the inner fairing, and the DB screen and Lip give me good enough wind protection. Get one!

(...Good luck with your choice...)

I'm not 100% about the other years, but I know the difference between the 03 and 04 Busa is the 04 now has hazards and the 'pass' light switch, and of course the different colors...that's it (as far as I know). The FI isn't bad on the Busa, but a smart TRE should smooth out the rough edges. I heard the earlier years had starter motor issues...something about if you stall and try to restart real quick it supposedly caused problems; I'm really not to familiar with that though, just something I heard. In my opinion, the Busa is the absolute perfect bike...pretty comfy on long trips which is one of the many reasons why I bought it. Great wind protection, power, handling, looks, and I could go on and on...Good luck finding what you're looking for.

My HIDs obviate any need for accessory lighting, I have a GPS and V1 mounted in the cockpit, a powerlet for heated gear in the inner fairing, and the DB screen and Lip give me good enough wind protection. Get one!

(...Good luck with your choice...)
Nice setup. If I get the busa I'll probably be keeping the RT, but I'd want to do some of the same things you got here. I'd need to find a way to mount my SPIII, I'm sure that wont be easy.

Anyone have a mounted SP3 that could post some pics?

The only problem,s I know of on the 02 is the starter, and Suzuki is footing the bill for that, I just had the upgrade done on mine ,and it didn,t cost me a cent
tounge.gif

Back