building a turbo and mileage?

LeDauz

Registered
ok was reading around on the forums and seen a post that said "no more than 4k miles" By greg of hpc
and i was woundering is there a limit to the amount of miles for building a turbo busa? if so does it change from stage one, two, or three?

and why does the mileage have any effect on the build?

4K or less is our preference. We also don't work on bikes four years old or older a policy that has worked great for three years.

I had 14K on my 2001 when I completed the turbo. I had no second thoughts about the engine,......but I bought it new and I change my oil every 1000 miles. Cylinder leak down test passed with "flying colors". If a builder doesn't know everything about the engine,........I can see why a 4K max or a certain number of years in age would be a great deciding factor whether to turbo or not!! Good info!! :beerchug:

Builders preference
Exactly, nothing more...installing a turbo kit is very simple stuff. When you own your own company these decisions make more sense. I can remember going into to shops to see 3 or 5 bikes from 10 years ago all over the place. Something we did not want and the guy 300 yards from us likes our policy, he works on anything.

Last edited:
If you are building a stage two or three, that would or should entail fresh rod bearings and more than likely new rods, turbo pistons and so forth so years don't really matter as far as the lower end goes. Depending on the year, second gear and transmission concerns should also be addressed.

Last edited:
If you are building a stage two or three, that would or should entail fresh rod bearings and more than likely new rods, turbo pistons and so forth so years don't really matter as far as the lower end goes. Depending on the year, second gear and transmission concerns should also be addressed.

Hey, like anything else. Even with normally aspirated busas, I am cautious with anything over 15,000 miles for a different reason - the cam chain!:banana:

ah, ok now i get it tomany miles or to many years might mean something might fail and you would rather not risk anything you build going bad because of an old or worn part

ah, ok now i get it tomany miles or to many years might mean something might fail and you would rather not risk anything you build going bad because of an old or worn part

We have a winner. You just installed the turbo last month and now the motor has failed.

Think if I ever decide to do any kind of major power increase I would personally want my builder to go through the entire powertrain and give it a refreshment. You spend all the money on performance upgrades so your build will only be as good as your weekest link. Wouldn't want to spend big dollars on upgrades and month down the road or even a year down the road have something fail that could have been prevented in the first place and have to start all over.

I did a full all out motor build on my turbo street bike. I change the oil and filter every 1000 miles. I don't think I would ever plan a take down "refreshen". Or at least thats my thought as of now. Once you get that bastard running right the last thing on your mind is pullin out the perfectly good motor and having it gone through. If its built right the first time then you would think it should last quite awhile. It all boils down to component failure and usage. I'm sure there are more than a few exact builds out there that contain the same parts, quality tunes and were maintained similar....1 might have lasted 15k and the other 2 weeks

There's a guy on the boards with a 99,000 mile turo busa. He's on his second turbo. I'm not saying its a good thing, but I sure as heck wouldn't about 10 or 20k miles on a bike you're planning to turbo. Mine had 50k on it when the turbo exploded. The motor wasn't hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back