Brought this Montgomery Headlight insert back to life.

Ratlin’busa

Registered
I scooped this Montgomery insert for pretty cheap off eBay. It was in need of some love. Need 3 of the mount tabs reattached and someone spray painted it flat black.
I used White Diamond Polish to polish away the paint using a coating safe dish pad and some microfiber cloths. The polish is plastic safe and I use it to polish headlight lenses on my cars aswell and metals. I finished the polishing with the White Diamond Black Pearl protectant which is a paint safe polish and protectant.

As for the tabs I used JB Weld 2-part Plastic bonder, which was the only bonder/adhesive/epoxy that flat out said it was Carbon composite safe. It looks to be the same stuff Montgomery uses- same color, finish, feel ect as what was on the tab spots. This unit is about 2.5 years old so I can only guess the bonder on the tabs didn’t hold up where it was only applied to the rear edge on the legs originally. I went and added a bit extra and fully coated/bonded the front and back of the tabs entirety back to the legs/pads. So it has a much better bond and less flex and potential for coming off again.
Overall I’m into this unit for pretty cheap compared to what they cost new and about 2-2.5hrs of elbow grease- so I’m happy with it. The light works too and is actually pretty darn bright, much so more than I thought it’d be. We’ll see once it’s installed though.
8389EB65-08AC-4683-BC66-D52929FA2697.jpeg

I’ll buy one eventually. I don’t ride much at night anymore so that’ll be a good little weight savings. I’m in no rush though
Same here, basically zero night riding for me anymore. But the light should still be bright enough for getting noticed by traffic for the most part- me remembering to “Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge” should shore up the rest lol. I honestly wouldn’t have one if I hadn't found this one for cheap and could restore/save it. I’m not really racing or anything anymore and the cost of these parts is pretty high for me to justify. But All in-I’m into the light for $107 including original purchase and resto materials. So compared to the $459 out the door from Montgomery I’m pretty stoked to get one at that kinda cost.

Back